Apterous Etiquette

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Apterous Etiquette

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Apterous Prune wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:It's not like the bots would mind or anything.
:cry:
Awww. Is it wrong I actually feel sorry for a machine?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Apterous Prune wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:It's not like the bots would mind or anything.
Awww. Is it wrong I actually feel sorry for a machine?
It's not necessarily wrong, it's just different.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I tend to think that if I'm going for a certain score against Prune, then it's fine to quit and start again. But if I'm involved in a proper game against, say, Prime, then quitting could be seen as a bit of a ratings cheater (I don't do it - not yet anyway :mrgreen:), but then it also depends on how much you value ratings.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just thought I would say, bad Apterous etiquette is not what we need just before Christmas.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Jason Larsen wrote:I just thought I would say, bad Apterous etiquette is not what we need just before Christmas.
I was under the impression Christmas was all about random drunken sniping and massive falling-outs. Every year my family estrange a cousin and/or a neighbour. I'm tempted to try for an aunt this time round.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I really want to post something that will make all of you happy, but I'll have to think about it.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=163487

Andrew Feist allowed my mistake on the conundrum to go by, very good form :) (also a pretty good game)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jason Larsen wrote:I really want to post something that will make all of you happy, but I'll have to think about it.
If you need my address for a cheque of at least £100 please let me know.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Lesley Hines wrote: If you need my address for a cheque of at least £100 please let me know.
I don't even ask for that much...just £2 a month to keep a young man off the streets and warm (or a one-off cheque for £50 would be delightful). Merry Christmas.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote: If you need my address for a cheque of at least £100 please let me know.
I don't even ask for that much...just £2 a month to keep a young man off the streets and warm (or a one-off cheque for £50 would be delightful). Merry Christmas.
Could we really take advantage of Jason this way? It's tempting. Jason, get your mum's credit card.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lesley, you would have to exchange your pounds for dollars unfortunately.

Kirk, if there's a will, there's a way. You can do that too.

Ben, by the way, I forgot what I was going to initially post in this thread.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

LMAO
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

With the economy the way it is, I totally forgot. I'm sorry.

Gordon?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I tend to think that if I'm going for a certain score against Prune, then it's fine to quit and start again. But if I'm involved in a proper game against, say, Prime, then quitting could be seen as a bit of a ratings cheater (I don't do it - not yet anyway :mrgreen:), but then it also depends on how much you value ratings.
Thinking about this again, while I don't quit games to preserve my ratings, the games I do quit do enhance my averages. But never mind. Just don't believe my scores are representative on bullet numbers and you won't go far wrong.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'd like to nominate Daniel Seasmith for gentleman of the month. He is always very gracious in defeat, even in the most annoying circumstances, and always appreciates good play whether or not he wins or loses.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Hunter wrote:I'd like to nominate Daniel Seasmith for gentleman of the month. He is always very gracious in defeat, even in the most annoying circumstances, and always appreciates good play whether or not he wins or loses.
I'd certainly agree with that. A fantastic player, it's always brill when we play together on Apterous. Always enjoy our matches.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote::cry:
Ahahaha.
Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller »

Everyone I've played so far bar one has been really friendly, especially Scott Gillies and Edward McCullagh, real gents

the only exception was female, she never said a single word the entire game, not even a good luck. I wont shame her
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joe Miller wrote:Everyone I've played so far bar one has been really friendly, especially Scott Gillies and Edward McCullagh, real gents

the only exception was female, she never said a single word the entire game, not even a good luck. I wont shame her
99% of people are friendly or at least polite, that's why it's quite funny to see someone throw their toys out of the pram after misclicking.
Joe Miller

Post by Joe Miller »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joe Miller wrote:Everyone I've played so far bar one has been really friendly, especially Scott Gillies and Edward McCullagh, real gents

99% of people are friendly or at least polite, that's why it's quite funny to see someone throw their toys out of the pram after misclicking.
I've never had someone like that as yet

but ive only had 70 games
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Charlie, is it a good idea to talk to someone as if you were starting a game and then just leave without playing?

If not, this is why I suggest you put a private chat window to be available to us when we want to talk to one person in particular.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Davidson is the only bad bloke on Apterous.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jason Larsen wrote:Charlie, is it a good idea to talk to someone as if you were starting a game and then just leave without playing?

If not, this is why I suggest you put a private chat window to be available to us when we want to talk to one person in particular.
Could this be the first time ever that I agree with one of Jaon's ideas?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Charlie, is it a good idea to talk to someone as if you were starting a game and then just leave without playing?
Could this be the first time ever that I agree with one of Jaon's ideas?
lol
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Very good, Kai!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

There might have been problems at her end or something. I wouldn't worry about silence though - surely it's just actual positive rudeness that's a problem.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Do people tend to leave the conundrum if their opponent is on for a max? Would that make the max less genuine if so?
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

I would, but the responsibility would be with the opponent to request this in the chat. The opponent cannot automatically be expected to notice this nor, in many cases, even to be aware it's important.
Last edited by Simon Le Fort on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Do people tend to leave the conundrum if their opponent is on for a max? Would that make the max less genuine if so?
There was a long discussion about this somewhere, and basically no one agreed. Which is quite remarkable for a question that really only admits two answers.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Simon Le Fort,

Are you AI?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Dent wrote:Simon Le Fort,

Are you AI?
Yep.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Just had someone who I'd never played before quit against me. The culprit was James Bishop. I was 50-0 Up after 7 rounds, and he quit in the middle of the 8th round

After he left, he briefly came back in the room, but then went straight back out again.
Throughout the game he was picking very slowly and taking a long amount of time to start the next round, almost as if he didn't want to carry on playing. Granted it could have been computer errors, in which case I fully apologise to James

I don't normally play newbies because I know something like this could happen, but James had challenged me about 3 or 4 times before all at points where I was about to leave the room, so I felt ignorant, hence I willingly played him, but he just just appears to have quit half way through which is very rude. Hugh also said that James quit a game against him after 1 round too.

If James is a young un and this is a one off, then I think he should be given a little bit of slack and let off the hook, but If it turns out he's got multiple accounts, keeps creating new ones and quitting and stuff then I think we should all call him a big poo head in aptochat when we see him (That's my idea of punishing him).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James has been messing me around a bit too. He started a game with me the other night then left after one round. He just played another three rounds against me just now then left again, came back in and started playing someone else instead. Somewhat strange and tedious.

Right this minute, he's just started a new game against a third person, so he's playing two other games but not playing ours.

EDIT: He stopped playing the second game to play the third...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I just think he is a pro joker and it's all part ofan awesome prank.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »