Request

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Request

Post by Charlie Reams »

Can someone competent please set a new French 9 Rounder record? The current record is only 75 and it's stood for 472 days.
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Re: Request

Post by Simon Le Fort »

German 9-round record is 66, and that after many many attempts to beat it.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Personally I find the lack of a perfect speed 15 game after 1100 attempts to be much more jarring. First person who cracks that before COLIN can have a free apple crumble. :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote: First person who cracks that before COLIN can have a free apple crumble. :)
Was that a hint? I'll crack on!
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

Looking at Martin Gardner's French 9 record game of "only" 75, it was an outstanding performance with subjunctives, obscure words (ie unknown to me!) and an incredible French conundrum, FLIPPANCY.

Plenty have tried overnight for you, Charlie, but it'll be a long time before this record falls.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Simon Le Fort wrote:Looking at Martin Gardner's French 9 record game of "only" 75, it was an outstanding performance with subjunctives, obscure words (ie unknown to me!) and an incredible French conundrum, FLIPPANCY.

Plenty have tried overnight for you, Charlie, but it'll be a long time before this record falls.
The French conundrums were broken at that time, FLIPPANCY is English. Martin might've got some obscure words, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a big score. If you get a nine, the numbers and the conundrum, that's 48 points straight off, so that gives you 5 more letters rounds to get 27 points, which is easy.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I had a fab German 9-rounder a while ago, and frustratingly would have had a score of 68 (without finding a 9-letter word) had I declared the safe MACHEN rather than the phoney SCHAMEN in one letters round (not sure whether I got confused by a similar-sounding Dutch word or whether I was just making stuff up...). But of course, that's a "what if", and I'm sure we've all had those.

I do speak a little French, and could probably rack up 60 points if I tried, but I think Martin's score is beyond me.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Innis is your man.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Going to take someone like me quite a long time I think, but yeah it should be attainable for any fluent speaker of French. Nines are relatively common and often pretty systematic (verbs with -ERAIS, -ERAS, -ERONS etc.) and you only need one.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »