Neither player written solution down

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Neither player written solution down

Post by Howard Somerset »

A while ago I seem to recall seeing a thread when the question was posed of what would happen if in a round both players made the same declaration and said that they hadn't written their solution down. I believe it just lead to conjecture, and so I apologise for bringing it up again if an answer was given.

I've seen just this happen in a numbers game. After the declarations, Jeff gave both contestants time to write their solutions down before coming to each of them for their solution. Whether or not this will all be seen on screen, I have no idea. But it was good to see first hand that what I've felt was the best action did in fact happen.
D Eadie
Devotee

Re: Neither player written solution down

Post by D Eadie »

This has always been the case, since year dot, we ask both to write it down then carry on. :?: :o
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

D Eadie wrote:This has always been the case, since year dot, we ask both to write it down then carry on. :?: :o
Yeah it happened in my QF against Ben Hanks.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

It happened in my 2nd game against Gill Ford.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Thanks all. :) I just remember the question being asked here once, and never saw the reply, if there was one.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Howard Somerset wrote:Thanks all. :) I just remember the question being asked here once, and never saw the reply, if there was one.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3151&start=60

D Eadie wrote:
David Williams wrote:Two simple things they could do.

There should be no hint as to the acceptability of the first player's word until the second player has given his.

If neither player has written their word down, then both should be asked to do so.

(Quick edit. Would it be an idea to ask anyone who has not written their word down to do so?)

There is normally no hint of the first players word until the second player has given it, certainly not if its obscure. It might be the norm for us to confirm a word before hearing the second, but only on everyday words, not something like earthnut for example.

If neither writes their word down, we do ask both to do so then we retake the round coming off the clock. You won't see them being asked to write down at home. And lastly, anyone who hasn't written their word down would almost always without exception go first.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli