Java fails to load

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Java fails to load

Post by Ian Volante »

Hi folks, anyone fancy some tech support? I'm on someone else's computer, and I can't get Java to load to play Apterous. I've got the latest version, it appears to be working (I can test if it's installed on java.com and that worked fine), but for some reason on this computer it loads either not at all or minimally. I'e tried messing with memory allocation, but I don't know much about that, and I'm sure there must be a simpler problem.

This comp runs XP, and avasti anti-virus, but I can't think it's a connection/blocking problem - Java just won't load and run. Any ideas?

EDIT: What I should say for clarity is that Java loads fine, but Apterous doesn't.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Java fails to load

Post by Ian Volante »

Boo, still can't get on. I'm bored!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ian Volante wrote:Boo, still can't get on. I'm bored!
You finished work then? You lucky shit!

Incidently, I tried Apterous once at my work and it worked, but the Java which powers Facebook Scrabble didn't work.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Boo, still can't get on. I'm bored!
You finished work then? You lucky shit!

Incidently, I tried Apterous once at my work and it worked, but the Java which powers Facebook Scrabble didn't work.
Off until the 6th :)

Shame I'm not on my computer that actually works properly! Am on holiday in Dublin with Sky Sports access which makes up for it somewhat.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hmm, I've left it for about an hour now. It loaded about a third in the first five minutes, nothing since. I'm going to take the dog out now, when I return, of course something will have happened! Ever the optimist...
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ian Volante wrote:when I return, of course something will have happened!
It might explode! There was a film about a volcano made once called Krakatoa: East of Java, but in actual fact Krakatoa is west of Java.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:when I return, of course something will have happened!
It might explode! There was a film about a volcano made once called Krakatoa: East of Java, but in actual fact Krakatoa is west of Java.
It's also south of Kamchatka.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

This is possibly a stupid suggestion, but have you tried completely uninstalling Java, and reinstalling?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Edwin Mead wrote:This is possibly a stupid suggestion, but have you tried completely uninstalling Java, and reinstalling?
Yep!
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

Ian Volante wrote:
Edwin Mead wrote:This is possibly a stupid suggestion, but have you tried completely uninstalling Java, and reinstalling?
Yep!
How about trying different browsers (firefox, chrome, opera....)?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Edwin Mead wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Yep!
How about trying different browsers (firefox, chrome, opera....)?
Same in the three I've tried.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

I'm afraid I haven't any more suggestions. Sorry I couldn't help, I expect someone who knows a thing or two more than I do will be able to give you better advice.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Edwin Mead wrote:I'm afraid I haven't any more suggestions. Sorry I couldn't help, I expect someone who knows a thing or two more than I do will be able to give you better advice.
No worries, thanks anyway!