Spoilers for Wednesday December 16th 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday December 16th 2009

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: Yeah, looks like Charlie will need to get his surgical scissors out for Brenda Vaughn and Betty Power (both are dudes on Apterous)
They clicked the "dude" box when they registered, don't blame me!
Maybe they are preops :?:
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Alec Rivers wrote:"Personal dig" and "harmless tease" may be synonymous in the world of a person who thinks only in black and white, but in real life there is a significant difference in sentiment.
That's rather black and white, isn't it?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Ah great onto a fresh page now.

Missed the first round because of the cricket... doh.
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

R2 alt. WARCRIES?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

TALKIES for round 4
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers:

((75 + 4) x 10 ) + (7 x 7)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

John Douglas wrote:R2 alt. WARCRIES?
Unlucky http://www.apterous.org/lexplorer.php?word=warcries
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

SMEGMA in R9 ?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:SMEGMA in R9 ?
Yes.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

9*7*(6-1) = 315
315 -1 = 314
314*3 = 942
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Nice spot Dinos.
Well played Andrew for the win
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote:Nice spot Dinos.
Did they leave in the bit where Jeff said "lady in the audience"? :lol: :lol:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Regretably, no
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Well done Andrew and bad luck Ryan.

Dinos is clearly going for the rugged look with a bit of facial hair! Or he's run out of money this term and it's to help keep him warm. :)
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Strange thread. This was a forum to discuss countdown when I last visited. Anyhoo. Well played Andrew. You're so much better than that other dude from Warwick in the last series. What was his name again? :? Also, I don't think I ever congratulated you for breaking Kirk's record, so well done for that too, truly amazing! :!:
My only complaint is that you're too good. It doesn't make such great TV when you win easily! Hope the second semi, and the final are tighter!
Also I wish to let it be known that I solved the last numbers game in time. :) Let's just ignore the fact that I didn't solve the easy first numbers game...
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well played Andrew, congrats on making the final 8-) , I thought it was going to be a lot closer a contest with Ryan. Well done to Ryan for making the semis also, on another series you probably would have been champ.

Roll on the big showdown tomorrow with big guns Innis and Chris. I've got a feeling it will go down as a legendary game in Countdown history (fingers crossed!).
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Jon Corby wrote:Can you ease up a bit on the James-bashing guys?

It's not anybody bashing.
Maybe it's 30 years of working in fire stations where the time between shouts very often includes wind-ups. Not malicious or nasty but simply trying to break up the day to day monotony of station life by having a laugh, whether giving it out or being on the receiving end.
Obviously this permeates through to when we are off duty too.

Like it or lump it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Davy Affleck wrote:

Maybe it's 30 years of working in fire stations where the time between shouts very often includes wind-ups. Not malicious or nasty but simply trying to break up the day to day monotony of station life by having a laugh, whether giving it out or being on the receiving end.

Like it or lump it.
So do you often encourage each other to ruin someone else's day, all jocular like? I think it requires a certain degree of dishonesty to claim that you weren't just trying to upset James. Even if you're not man enough to admit it, at least give the guy a break in future.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Davy Affleck wrote:

Like it or lump it.
So do you often encourage each other to ruin someone else's day, all jocular like? I think it requires a certain degree of dishonesty to claim that you weren't just trying to upset James. Even if you're not man enough to admit it, at least give the guy a break in future.

Don't dare accuse me of dishonesty - of any degree. I said it as it is so get off of your self made pedestal. Even if it is your site.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Intonation, inflection and often intention all get lost in the mix when posting on a website as opposed to speaking face to face. Chill out guys.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Davy Affleck wrote: Don't dare accuse me of dishonesty - of any degree. I said it as it is so get off of your self made pedestal. Even if it is your site.
Let me rephrase then. Please refrain from engaging in your hilarious fireman's banter with James in the future. Thanks!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Davy Affleck wrote: Don't dare accuse me of dishonesty - of any degree. I said it as it is so get off of your self made pedestal. Even if it is your site.
Let me rephrase then. Please refrain from engaging in your hilarious fireman's banter with James in the future. Thanks!

Sorry for not replying sooner as I was on a 14 hour nightshift engaging in hilarious firemans banter in a company that appreciates it better than some. And working between bouts of uncontrolable chortling and guffawing.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Charlie Reams wrote:
LOL! Not one of my finer moments. Clearly Jeff didn't notice my awesomesauce half-a-centimetre-beard-growth-in-two-weeks Movember efforts, or possibly he got gender-vision confused 'cause I was almost sat on Innis' mum's lap. Emma's put up a screen-shot on facebook and I'm surprised no one's gone and green-ladified it yet. Only a matter of time... Needless to say the experience offered me a moment of clarity and I booked straight into the barber's when I got home to ditch the mullet. I'm happy to see the back of it but if anyone misses it, it'll have a brief revival when they show ma Krypton Factor adventure.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Fuck off you smackhead. :mrgreen:
That's the last straw, I'm leaving the forum. Say 'bye' to David Williams for me.
Why are you dragging me into this? Have I upset you in some way?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Fuck off you smackhead. :mrgreen:
That's the last straw, I'm leaving the forum. Say 'bye' to David Williams for me.
:mrgreen:

You appealed for me to bugger off a while ago as I recall, so I thought it would be nice for you know to I had gone.

(Although obviously I haven't left.)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: That's the last straw, I'm leaving the forum. Say 'bye' to David Williams for me.
You appealed for me to bugger off a while ago as I recall, so I thought it would be nice for you know to I had gone.
I don't think so, and certainly not with that sort of language. Now I'm upset.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:You appealed for me to bugger off a while ago as I recall, so I thought it would be nice for you know to I had gone.
I don't think so, and certainly not with that sort of language. Now I'm upset.
Okay, you asked for me to 'go quiet' for a bit, which I took as meaning that you wished I was dead.

I have no specific beef with you (despite getting the distinct impression you don't like me) so I've gone back and edited my post now.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:Okay, you asked for me to 'go quiet' for a bit, which I took as meaning that you wished I was dead.
Are you referring to this?
Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:Jon, I already have to employ staff to keep up with all the stuff here. One is working on "The Best of Jon Corby" as we speak, but we're some months away from publication.
Can I assume publication is near? ;)
David Williams wrote:Every time we think we're done, you come up with more good stuff, and it's back to the drawing board. Perhaps if you went quiet for a bit . . . ?
How you could possibly infer that I dislike you, want you dead, or even actually want you to go quiet, escapes me.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:How you could possibly infer that I dislike you, want you dead, or even actually want you to go quiet, escapes me.
Must be my insecurity, lack of confidence and deep-seated self-loathing I guess.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

D Eadie wrote:It sure is. I've read so much b/s on here though during the last few months that it's getting to the point whereby you start to wish people weren't entitled to opinions. It's easy to sit there and post a message, but often if you look beyond what is on the screen there can be quite a bit of aftershock to them. If i were an Octochamp in a current series, i'd be loathe to come on here and read about how poorly i ranked in terms of Octochamp history down the years and effectively have some people pissing on my parade. A few days after Chris Davies played his 8 games, somebody posted a message saying how unpopular he was on Digital Spy's forums. There's been no-end of ill-judged, badly-timed, needless and crass comments from people. Brian Selway got a few pelters the other day also. Kirk had a bit of a digging with Phil Reynolds about being over-picky with correcting spelling and facts etc, then posts something so trivial as to be ridiculous about Jeff commenting on winning the toss in the QF's. I guess it comes with the territory.

It's true, it's all about opinions. That's probably part of the problem, in posters choosing when to voice them and when to keep them to themselves, but i guess it'll never fix itself.
A forum like this definitely benefits from having contestants (and maybe even the producer :o) as posters, but I think it would be to the detriment of the forum if that also meant people weren't allowed to review the performances of contestants. Obviously there are ways of saying things, but I think you would need to develop a thicker skin if someone mentioned the quality of a game you were in and you didn't like it (normally it would be someone getting offended on their behalf of course!).
D Eadie wrote:Intonation, inflection and often intention all get lost in the mix when posting on a website as opposed to speaking face to face. Chill out guys.
Good advice, as long as we all take it, Damian.