Charlie's Christmas Present

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Charlie's Christmas Present

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:So it seems the server has suffered a fairly serious failure, and will no longer switch on. It may have to be completely replaced, which would be fairly expensive Christmas present :( No data will be lost though, the disks are fine.
I think that we should all chip in to help Charlie restore Apterous Towers to the world power it once was. Charlie has put his series final money away and he won't want to spend it, will he?

After all the evilness that's been around here recently, let's all have a heart for Charlie!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Charlie's Christmas Present

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'll donate a fiver, I'm short on casho right now. What email do you use for PayPal, Charlie?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

A much appreciated thought but given how many of you have been generous in the past, I'd feel greedy asking for more. I've spent about £150 on recent upgrades and replacements, and I hope I'll make that back from new subscribers, so spread the word! (But wait til the thing is back on again, which should be Thursday.) There may be some new "Try it for a fiver" features in the New Year and I'd rather you saved your cash for that.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:A much appreciated thought but given how many of you have been generous in the past, I'd feel greedy asking for more. I've spent about £150 on recent upgrades and replacements, and I hope I'll make that back from new subscribers, so spread the word! (But wait til the thing is back on again, which should be Thursday.) There may be some new "Try it for a fiver" features in the New Year and I'd rather you saved your cash for that.
How much will it actually cost Charlie?

Work out how much we each need to pay and those who can afford it can pay a bit more and those who can't can pay a bit less. After all, you give up masses of your time (in return mostly just for moans and no financial reward) to make us all happy!! I'm sure no-one will mind.

So, what is your PayPal email?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Karen Pearson wrote:How much will it actually cost Charlie?

Work out how much we each need to pay and those who can afford it can pay a bit more and those who can't can pay a bit less. After all, you give up masses of your time (in return mostly just for moans and no financial reward) to make us all happy!! I'm sure no-one will mind.
Totally agree.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

If anyone's paid in the last three months it'll show up in your paypal history. Then can you please post the address here? Thanks :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jennifer Bett

Post by Jennifer Bett »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thanks to those of you who sent money anyway! I've invested in Express Delivery so the replacements should arrive tomorrow, and then we'll see where we are (and in particular whether I correctly diagnosed what was broken). I also took the opportunity to upgrade the memory, which should be good for everyone.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've also installed an Uninterruptible Power Supply, so we should be immune to power cuts now, for up to an hour or so.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Thanks to those of you who sent money anyway! I've invested in Express Delivery so the replacements should arrive tomorrow, and then we'll see where we are (and in particular whether I correctly diagnosed what was broken). I also took the opportunity to upgrade the memory, which should be good for everyone.
Also my rating was about 2300 but sudddenly dropped several hundred for no reason, which I think was the start of the breakdown. So when you get it up again, can you restore my rating? Cheers.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Also my rating was about 2300 but sudddenly dropped several hundred for no reason, which I think was the start of the breakdown. So when you get it up again, can you restore my rating? Cheers.
I don't think anyone's memory is that bad.
Lowering the averages since 2009