John Lewis Advert

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Davy Affleck
Acolyte

John Lewis Advert

Post by Davy Affleck »

Does anybody know which female vocalist is is singing the accoustic version of "Sweet Child Of Mine" that is the backing track to the John Lewis winter ad?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: John Lewis Advert

Post by Charlie Reams »

It takes a fairly generous interpretation of the word "General" for this to count as "Countdown: General".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Davy Affleck wrote:Does anybody know which female vocalist is is singing the accoustic version of "Sweet Child Of Mine" that is the backing track to the John Lewis winter ad?
"In November 2009, a version by Taken by Trees was used in a UK TV commercial for the department store John Lewis, and announced would be released as their next UK single"
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22sweet+child+o+m ... n+lewis%22
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Charlie Reams wrote:It takes a fairly generous interpretation of the word "General" for this to count as "Countdown: General".
I know that this forum is the font of all knowledge Charlie & that is why I used artistic license in this case. It also gives me an excuse to stop gloss painting the kitchen.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Davy Affleck wrote:Does anybody know which female vocalist is is singing the accoustic version of "Sweet Child Of Mine" that is the backing track to the John Lewis winter ad?
Her name is Victoria Bergsman from Taken by Trees
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Her name is Victoria Bergsman from Taken by Trees

Cheers for that.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Davy Affleck wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It takes a fairly generous interpretation of the word "General" for this to count as "Countdown: General".
I know that this forum is the font of all knowledge Charlie & that is why I used artistic license in this case. It also gives me an excuse to stop gloss painting the kitchen.
It is indeed, which is why we have an Off-Topic forum, to where I've now moved this.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Charlie - why don't you start a "Countdown: eff all to do with it" section?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Davy Affleck wrote:

Maybe we could call it something like "Off-Topic". I imagine such a section could grow to 14229 posts or more.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Davy Affleck wrote:

Maybe we could call it something like "Off-Topic". I imagine such a section could grow to 14229 posts or more.

Did you just add that? I haven't noticed it before My shift key does not always go down.
Apologies & thanks for moving it
Anyway to get back on topic - I downloaded it for 29p on Amazon - a bargain.
Thanks for all the help
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I've heard the track, and saw it go into the top 40, but didn't realise that Victoria Bergsman was the vocalist. She used to be in (possibly still is in) The Concretes, who released a couple of passable singles 5 or so years back, including one called "You can't Hurry Love" (not a cover version of the Supremes hit, btw). She was also the guest female vocalist on Peter, Bjorn & John's "Young Folks".

So if anyone's a particular fan, they might want to check out the Concretes.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:I've heard the track, and saw it go into the top 40, but didn't realise that Victoria Bergsman was the vocalist. She used to be in (possibly still is in) The Concretes, who released a couple of passable singles 5 or so years back, including one called "You can't Hurry Love" (not a cover version of the Supremes hit, btw). She was also the guest female vocalist on Peter, Bjorn & John's "Young Folks".

So if anyone's a particular fan, they might want to check out the Concretes.
Clicking here is a jailable* act in some territories.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Bollocks, my one chance to show off my knowledge of relatively obscure Swedish chanteuses and Matt and others beat me to it. Damn work.

Anyway, the Concretes are awesome (even though Victoria Bergsman did indeed leave the band a couple of years ago). They've done five albums (three proper ones and two compilations of B-sides/EP tracks) and they're all quite lovely.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Davy Affleck wrote:I downloaded it for 29p on Amazon - a bargain.
Try mp3fiesta.com: $0.05 to $0.20 per track (depending on age and popularity - the song's, not yours). You can get whole albums for $0.50!
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Davy Affleck wrote:I downloaded it for 29p on Amazon - a bargain.
Try mp3fiesta.com: $0.05 to $0.20 per track (depending on age and popularity - the song's, not yours). You can get whole albums for $0.50!
Without knowing the mechanics of royalties from either source, it seems rather less likely that mp3fiesta will be offering the artists any recompense for their efforts in entertaining you.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brian Moore wrote: Without knowing the mechanics of royalties from either source, it seems rather less likely that mp3fiesta will be offering the artists any recompense for their efforts in entertaining you.
Not that I'd be against depriving the music industry of funds, but this seems to disagree with you.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Brian Moore wrote: Without knowing the mechanics of royalties from either source, it seems rather less likely that mp3fiesta will be offering the artists any recompense for their efforts in entertaining you.
Not that I'd be against depriving the music industry of funds, but this seems to disagree with you.
I'm not a lawyer, but there does seem to be some doubt about this Ukrainian site's legality.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brian Moore wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but there does seem to be some doubt about this Ukrainian site's legality.
I prefer my link. Plausible deniability is a wonderful thing.