The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Matt Morrison »

Craig Beevers wrote:It's the same with the 'injury crisis' which includes of all 2-3 players with a short-term issue.
Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani, Johnson and Aurelio are clearly all first team picks. That's 5 already.
Riera, Skrtel and Agger are all 'usually' first team picks, if not then there or thereabouts with rotation. That's 8.
Ngog and Martin Kelly have both been used as important second-string picks for the first team this year, and whose injuries mean that much more when the above list is populated as it is. That's 10.
Craig Beevers wrote:If England's side was selected on performance over the past 10 years Gerrard would have a lot less caps. If he was Spanish he would be warming the bench.
A Spanish player getting onto the England bench sounds pretty impressive in my book.
Craig Beevers wrote:Rooney on the other hand when he's not spending the whole game pissing about like he's in a Nike advert or if someone's knocked over his pint, has stood out at international level.
Like Jono, I also think Rooney is a fantastic talent. But I really don't think he's stood out at international level any more than other clearly great much-better-for-their-club players like Gerrard and Lampard.
Josh Overhill

Post by Josh Overhill »

Up until about a year ago that was certainly the case with Rooney, but since then he has been scoring goals for England for fun, admittedly mostly against crap opposition. So it will certainly be interesting to see how he fares against the top teams next year. Lampard and Gerrard (usually being forced out wide) have always performed solidly for England, and if any of them get injured and miss any of the World Cup matches, they will be missed and England will struggle without them
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Rooney stood out in the Euros about 5-6 years ago, particularly in the game against France. After that he was somewhat underwhelming for a while - personally think one of the big factors might have been Ronaldo at Manure and trying to compete with him. He seemed to stop his simple direct approach (which is his game) and instead played like he was on a Nike advert. Showboating low percentage rubbish like no-look cute flicks and constantly trying to chip the goalkeeper (drives me nuts seeing players doing that when they can belt the ball hard and low and score maybe 1 in 10 instead of 1 in 200) and so on.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Just in case anyone is bored of laughing at Liverpool, here's the geordies with some more comic relief:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 342406.stm
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Craig Beevers wrote:Just in case anyone is bored of laughing at Liverpool
Never. :D
Craig Beevers wrote:the geordies with some more comic relief:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 342406.stm
lol. That's funny, too.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Another convincing performance from Liverpool tonight. Tee-hee, chuckle, etc.

Arsenal 4 - 1 Alkmaar. Image
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You anti-Liverpool lot are so cuntish. I think I've learnt from many very heated arguments with friends never to be just the "you lost, hahahah!" type.

But anyway, the Europe League is well underrated I reckon.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Soz. Nothing personal. Just healthy footy banter. ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

And the Europa League is too.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:And the Europa League is too.
You might be bigging it up next season
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Did anyone else notice the little girl in the crowd at Chelsea v Man U giving Ryan Giggs the middle finger?

Click the image to watch the video clip I made:

:shock:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alec Rivers wrote:
I'm not quoting you, as a punishment for your cheeky re-routing via your website rather than direct .avi link :D

Good spot tho. Did you see the blinged-up black dude behind the Utd bench who was cleaning his teeth?!
Could see him going for it with a white toothbrush when some subs were made at 82 minutes. So strange.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm not quoting you, as a punishment for your cheeky re-routing via your website rather than direct .avi link :D
I had no choice. I wanted to use the direct link but when I tried it, it said: "You cannot download this file directly. You must view the member's page." I assume this is so you are exposed to their advertising. You can try the direct link, if you like. ;)

See new post below
Last edited by Alec Rivers on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Any non league, or even lower league, fans on here?
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Martyn Simpson wrote:Any non league, or even lower league, fans on here?
I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. We drew 4-4 yesterday against Brighton. We'll definitely lose the replay. :)
Josh Overhill

Post by Josh Overhill »

I'm a big Cambridge United fan, we're through to the second round of the FA Cup, so here's hoping we win that match and get one of the big guns in Round 3
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:... rather than direct .avi link
Especially for you: Direct link. Doesn't work anymore. They're bastards at BSkyB.
Last edited by Alec Rivers on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Especially for you: Direct link. :P
:) good video editing too. I miss doing that kinda stuff, it's so satisfying.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
Especially for you: Direct link. :P
:) good video editing too. I miss doing that kinda stuff, it's so satisfying.
Thank you. Yes, I love doing it, too. And here's a really funny one:

(Unfortunately, Sky StoreAndShare uses dynamic links so I'm afraid it's back to my site.)

:D
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Alec Rivers wrote:Image
Brilliant :D
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Thanks, Ben.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

No specific teams really unless you count Leeds, but keep a close eye on the lower leagues in general. Not so easy now though with the untimely demise of Tony Kempster :(
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Makepeace wrote:
I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. We drew 4-4 yesterday against Brighton. We'll definitely lose the replay. :)
Yes, you'll probably lose that. But, before that you'll lose 7-0 at the mighty Huddersfield on Saturday. What's even better is that Sky are showing it. ;) :) :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Southampton, but we're only temporarily lower league, so it doesn't really count.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Southampton, but we're only temporarily lower league, so it doesn't really count.
I was probably more pleased than was necessary that you drew Northampton in the cup...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

James Robinson wrote:
Phil Makepeace wrote:I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. We drew 4-4 yesterday against Brighton. We'll definitely lose the replay. :)
Yes, you'll probably lose that. But, before that you'll lose 7-0 at the mighty Huddersfield on Saturday. What's even better is that Sky are showing it. ;) :) :D
Seems unlikely. Just as unlikely as you losing your 'joint-longest top division titles streak' record; the Premiership's heading back to London. Good trivia that.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Makepeace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Phil Makepeace wrote:I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. We drew 4-4 yesterday against Brighton. We'll definitely lose the replay. :)
Seems unlikely. Just as unlikely as you losing your 'joint-longest top division titles streak' record; the Premiership's heading back to London. Good trivia that.
I wouldn't put it past us. Our last 3 home games were:

4-0 vs Exeter, 4-0 vs Leyton Orient, 6-1 vs Dagenham & Redbridge and we already beat Brighton 7-1, while your team only drew 4-4 against them.

This season nothing is impossible at the Galpharm Stadium.

EDIT: Apart from an away win of any kind.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

I once saw possibly an all-time fast scoring record at the McAlpine. Huddersfield reserves v. Burnley reserves, and 51 seconds into the game, Burnley equalised.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Ian Volante wrote:
No specific teams really unless you count Leeds, but keep a close eye on the lower leagues in general. Not so easy now though with the untimely demise of Tony Kempster :(
Mike Avery is generally regarded as the man who has continued the excellent work of the late Tony Kempster.

Mike's site can be found HERE
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martyn Simpson wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Mike Avery is generally regarded as the man who has continued the excellent work of the late Tony Kempster.

Mike's site can be found HERE
Ah brilliant, cheers!

EDIT: That website has frames! It's like 1995 all over again :D
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Christ Liverpool have to cheat just to get a point at home to Birmingham. Surely they must be lining up someone to take over before the transfer window?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Craig Beevers wrote:Christ Liverpool have to cheat just to get a point at home to Birmingham.
Funny one really. Carsley's missed the ball, and is taking Ngog down unless he hurdles the challenge. It obviously looks stupid if you jump the challenge and then go down, but I don't see why it's any more a penalty if Ngog happens to leave his foot down to get clattered.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Christ Liverpool have to cheat just to get a point at home to Birmingham.
Funny one really. Carsley's missed the ball, and is taking Ngog down unless he hurdles the challenge. It obviously looks stupid if you jump the challenge and then go down, but I don't see why it's any more a penalty if Ngog happens to leave his foot down to get clattered.
He's a cheating cunt.

Benitez is one of the best managers in the world.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jon Corby wrote:
Shhh (I actually said something like that on another forum).

Anyways really can't see Liverpool winning too many of their next few fixtures, apart from their Champions League whipping boys in two weeks (but they'll probably be condemned to you wafer league stuff that night regardless) they've no particularly easy fixtures coming soon.

It could be that a Champions League exit plus losing at Everton pushes things over the edge. Or they could struggle through to December 13th and get completely annihilated by Arsenal in front of the Kop.
Josh Overhill

Post by Josh Overhill »

I forget which paper it was (probably something shite like the Sun), but when I was in the local off-licence last night i noticed the back page was comparing Liverpool's run to Peterborough's (1 win in 9 games), and Peterborough have just sacked their manager. Made me laugh considering I hate both teams with a passion.

Nonetheless, i believe Liverpool will turn things around and finish 4th, Spurs are too inconsistent to maintain a genuine push for a Champions League spot, and Man City are the latest team to prove money doesn't buy success, having dropped a number of points against teams which on paper they should have beaten quite comfortably
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:Yes, you'll probably lose that. But, before that you'll lose 7-0 at the mighty Huddersfield on Saturday. What's even better is that Sky are showing it. ;) :) :D
Not too far off, it has to be said!

Having said that, anything between 10-15 wouldn't have been an injustice either!

BRING ON LEEDS :!: ;) :) :D
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just realised the c4c fantasy league is still going and i'm delighted to announce that there are now 6 members! Interesting Stephen Ireland's interview in yesterday's guardian. He seems to be just making excuses to make himself feel a little better and i have no doubt that in a few years he will seriously regret it if he decides (which it seems he finally has) never to play for his country again. I mean, Roy Keane's walkout was a legitimate swipe at the association and the setup and his career was far less young at the time. Ireland's case involves a personal issue and now using the well known shabby set up as an excuse is simply that, a lame excuse imo. Furthermore, i'm insulted by his declining of the greatest honour he could possibly ask for in his privileged career. Idiot.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Thierry Henry's career ended tonight.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andy Wilson wrote:Thierry Henry's career ended tonight.
It did? Aw man, that's a shame. He'll miss the World Cup Finals that he just helped his country qualify for.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
It did? Aw man, that's a shame. He'll miss the World Cup Finals that he just helped his country qualify for.
http://www.henrythehand.com/pages/content/store.html
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Jon Corby wrote:
At the very least he should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute and given a two-year ban. That might make others think twice about cheating so blatantly.No footballer is going to put his future career ahead of winning one match, no matter how important.Either that, or bring in the video refs.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:At the very least he should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute and given a two-year ban.
I don't read this thread much but this is a great example of why victims should not be involved in sentencing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think that it is interesting that Henry admitted handling the ball but blamed the ref for not spotting it.
At least he never said that it was the hand of god.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:At the very least he should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute and given a two-year ban.
I don't read this thread much but this is a great example of why victims should not be involved in sentencing.
It's one thing to score like this in an everyday league match. In a game this high-profile and important it's quite another. With the coverage it has generated it does have the effect of undermining the game. Why should FIFA seem to be the only worldwide sporting organisation which openly tolerates cheating? (with the possible exception of cycling).You wouldn't hesitate to ban cheats on Apterous, for that same reason.
Charlie Reams wrote:This place is a community and by cheating, you're undermining the work I put into this place, and the work of those who practise long and hard to improve legitimately
I realise I'm not comparing like with like here, but the principle is the same. A cheat is a cheat.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Liam Tiernan wrote:I realise I'm not comparing like with like here, but the principle is the same. A cheat is a cheat.
And pretty much every footballer is a cheat. It's the way the game is, unfortunately. Do you want me to scour videos of Ireland's qualifying campaign pointing out occasions where an Irish player was last to touch the ball, but still claimed the throw? Or committed a foul and claimed not to have done? (etc. etc.)
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

It wasn't just the incredible, brazen audacity with which he cunningly guided the ball with his hand. It was the devilish grin on his face afterwards, the refusal to take any responsibility, the inability to even consider that he did wrong, that makes Thierry Henry's act unbelievably despicable. He's always been the chief of cheats; terrible man, a disgrace to humanity. Should never be allowed to play football again; utterly awful person.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Would you expect him (or anyone) to own up had he done the same in his own box, but the officials missed it and failed to award a penalty?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Jon Corby wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:I realise I'm not comparing like with like here, but the principle is the same. A cheat is a cheat.
And pretty much every footballer is a cheat. It's the way the game is, unfortunately. Do you want me to scour videos of Ireland's qualifying campaign pointing out occasions where an Irish player was last to touch the ball, but still claimed the throw? Or committed a foul and claimed not to have done? (etc. etc.)
I said the same thing about Maradona about the "hand of God" incident (which was not a popular view over here at the time,btw). FIFA did nothing about it then and probably will do nothing now. The technology is there to put a stop to the cheats, either during the game itself, or afterwards by means of disciplinary proceedings. If this was Robbie Keane down the other end I'd still be saying the same thing. I'd be ashamed if Ireland went through to the finals this way, and a lot of Irish people would feel the same way.Just look at the reception Michelle Smith got here when she tried to fix a drug test. Those Olympic medals she won are tainted forever, all her sponsorships and media appearances dried up,her name is hardly ever mentioned these days.Will the French give Thierry Henry the same treatment? I doubt it.Why? Because it's football, therefore it's OK to cheat if you can get away with it?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:Because it's football, therefore it's OK to cheat if you can get away with it?
Good post, but this really isn't as bad as you make it sound. Every sport has a different character. In snooker players call their own fouls, in cricket it's bad form to complain about a dismissal. Football, on the other hand, is a fast, physical game with a vast array of rules which are virtually impossible to implement precisely, and the "hustle" of appealing for everything from throw-ins to penalties is part of the game, and part of the passion which the fans enjoy. Hardly a striker in the world would do anything different to Henry, so to ask him to change would imply a massive change to the spirit of the game. That might be desirable from some abstract notion of fairness but would so many people want to watch such a polite collection of exemplary gentlemen? I daresay they wouldn't.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I cannot see FIFA replaying the game but I think this incident will finally cause changes to be made.Hopefully, from next season, the 4th official will be able to consult a TV replay, when needed rather than spend his time worrying about a manager leaving his technical area.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Richard Brittain wrote:He's always been the chief of cheats; terrible man, a disgrace to humanity.
Are you sure you're not confusing him with Cristiano Ronaldo? Or Didier Drogba? I defy you to find a single example prior to this week.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Here's one Alec. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KxomccYNU

You can't put the shit back into the horse and all, but i'm glad the FAI are taking it so seriously. Apparantly there's a march happening tomorrow from FAI offices on Merrion Square to the French Embassy. I agree that this should be the turning point with regard to cheating, whatever happens, in terms of video refs etc. Jon, just because the game is full of cheats doesn't mean it should be acceptable. When i was a kid it was only continental players who dived and we thought it was horrible.

Also, in regard to your comments Richard about Henry celebrating etc, he also had the guile to go sit beside Dunne and talk to him about it. How Dunne didn't react badly i do not know but well d... fair play to him.

Qualifying for 1990 kick started the Celtic Tiger. This could have lifted us out of the recession! The nation is angry.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andy Wilson wrote:Here's one Alec. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KxomccYNU

You can't put the shit back into the horse and all, but i'm glad the FAI are taking it so seriously. Apparantly there's a march happening tomorrow from FAI offices on Merrion Square to the French Embassy. I agree that this should be the turning point with regard to cheating, whatever happens, in terms of video refs etc. Jon, just because the game is full of cheats doesn't mean it should be acceptable. When i was a kid it was only continental players who dived and we thought it was horrible.

Also, in regard to your comments Richard about Henry celebrating etc, he also had the guile to go sit beside Dunne and talk to him about it. How Dunne didn't react badly i do not know but well d... fair play to him.

Qualifying for 1990 kick started the Celtic Tiger. This could have lifted us out of the recession! The nation is angry.
Hahaha, a march? Sorry, but you'll look back on this and be embarrassed. Yes it's not great the game is full of cheats, but that's the way it is; as such anyone bitching about it is a hypocrite. You were on the end of a bad decision. Get over it, seriously.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

You make a decent point. It'll take a little while before i get over it though. Can't believe all of a sudden Henry is on the moral high ground.
"As captain of the French team, to make such a statement took courage and honour, and all of us recognise that" (Robbie Keane on Henry's statement that a replay would be 'the fairest option'.

What a turd bag.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

and a new entry this week straight in at number two in the c4c fantasy league - It's Andy Wilson with Munchengladtobeback
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

9-1 to Spurs with 5 goals for Defoe? That's just wrong.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:9-1 to Spurs with 5 goals for Defoe? That's just wrong.
Hmm, depends if Defoe's in any of my teams or not, and I suspect not :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:9-1 to Spurs with 5 goals for Defoe? That's just wrong.
I'm more shocked to see Paul Scharner not being torn asunder for handball in the build-up to Wigan's goal...
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm more shocked to see Paul Scharner not being torn asunder for handball in the build-up to Wigan's goal...
I agree - it smacks of double standards to me. Where are all the haters baying for blood now? Hypocrites. :evil:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'm more shocked to see Paul Scharner not being torn asunder for handball in the build-up to Wigan's goal...
I agree - it smacks of double standards to me. Where are all the haters baying for blood now? Hypocrites. :evil:
The nerve of him to turn away and celebrate the goal. Disgusting. He should be banned for 12 years.