An interesting omen - for January 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

An interesting omen - for January 2010

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ladies and gentlemen, January 2010 will be a very historic time for Countdown. Why? Read on.

Countdown will have another Canadian contestant.

He went on a trip to Europe and somehow got access to a computer and filled out an application. The application website said that only UK residents are able to be contestants. But, he was called on the phone by one of the researchers, took an audition test and passed.

I do not know the exact date of his appearance.

Once again, the episode on which he is scheduled to appear will air in January 2010.

Don't miss it.
Last edited by Jason Larsen on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: An interesting omen - for January 2010

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:He went on a trip to Europe and somehow got access to a computer and filled out an application.
How on earth was this allowed to happen? They'll be letting foreigns use our health system next. Hell in a handcart etc
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jon, there was just something about him that they liked, and it is no joke.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

You never know, it could be good, it could be Adam Logan. :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, this guy's name is Ryan, and I believe he is originally from Montreal.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Jason Larsen wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, January 2010 will be a very historic time for Countdown. Why? Read on.

Countdown will have its very first Canadian contestant.

He went on a trip to Europe and somehow got access to a computer and filled out an application. The application website said that only UK residents are able to be contestants. But, he was called on the phone by one of the researchers, took an audition test and passed.

Once again, the episode on which he is scheduled to appear will air in January 2010.

Don't miss it.

We've had Canadian contestants before. At least twice. One was a lady, and the other was a lady.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for letting me know, Damian.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

D Eadie wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, January 2010 will be a very historic time for Countdown. Why? Read on.

Countdown will have its very first Canadian contestant.

Don't miss it.

We've had Canadian contestants before. At least twice. One was a lady, and the other was a lady.
Damian, when you say one was a lady and the other one was a lady, are you suggesting something about one of them :?: :?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:
D Eadie wrote:We've had Canadian contestants before. At least twice. One was a lady, and the other was a lady.
Damian, when you say one was a lady and the other one was a lady, are you suggesting something about one of them :?: :?
Absolutely. That she was a lady.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
D Eadie wrote:We've had Canadian contestants before. At least twice. One was a lady, and the other was a lady.
Absolutely. That she was a lady.
Which one?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I think he meant to say they both are.

Anyway, the one I am referring to is a gentleman. I believe he appeared on the US version of Wheel of Fortune in 1996, and his name is Ryan Vickers (as in priests.) Wheel of Fortune is based on Hangman, of course and the letters game on Countdown and Wheel of Fortune are quite similar. He must love word games. He was born in Montreal, but English is his first language. However, I'm sure he knows some French words have been adopted into the English language so that could be of some use for him there.

Once again, his name is Ryan Vickers and he is scheduled to appear on Countdown in January 2010.
Ken MacKenzie

Post by Ken MacKenzie »

Jason Larsen wrote:The application website said that only UK residents are able to be contestants.
You don't have to be a UK resident.

I'm a British citizen, resident in Ireland. James Doohan is (I assume) an Irish citizen, resident in Ireland and there have been quite a few others from Ireland. There was a guy from Berlin a few weeks ago as well, wasn't there?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Ken MacKenzie wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:The application website said that only UK residents are able to be contestants.
You don't have to be a UK resident.

I'm a British citizen, resident in Ireland. James Doohan is (I assume) an Irish citizen, resident in Ireland and there have been quite a few others from Ireland. There was a guy from Berlin a few weeks ago as well, wasn't there?

Tá sin ceart, maith an fear Ken
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

'very historic'- as grammatically ugly as it is inaccurate.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I might as well bump this thread, since it's appropriate to do so now.

Jennifer posted a link that was of interest to us, and on that link it gives us more detail about the subject of this thread. Boy, am I ever happy now.

The guy is indeed who I thought it was. His name is Ryan Vickers, and he was a contestant on the American version of Wheel of Fortune in the late '90s. I believe he won. Now, I know for sure he likes word games.

But, his episode actually airs much earlier than we thought. It airs on Monday, November 16.

Once again, don't miss it!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It might be in 3D as it is 3D week on Channel 4 from the 16th
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jason Larsen wrote:I think he meant to say they both are.

Anyway, the one I am referring to is a gentleman. I believe he appeared on the US version of Wheel of Fortune in 1996, and his name is Ryan Vickers (as in priests.) Wheel of Fortune is based on Hangman, of course and the letters game on Countdown and Wheel of Fortune are quite similar. He must love word games. He was born in Montreal, but English is his first language. However, I'm sure he knows some French words have been adopted into the English language so that could be of some use for him there.

Once again, his name is Ryan Vickers and he is scheduled to appear on Countdown in January 2010.

So that's Ryan Vickers, folks (as in Vicars) And he's Canadian. And he's on on November 16th. Be ready. He knows some French. It could be tense stuff.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

We seem to have got through this whole thread up to this point omitting two crucial facts. So I will ask now: what is his name and what is his nationality?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Here's an interesting exercise.

Read through this entire thread but pretending you have no prior knowledge of anything to do with Countdown or of any of the people contributing to this thread. It really is one of the strangest things you could ever read.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

All of this is true.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matthew Green wrote:Here's an interesting exercise.

Read through this entire thread but pretending you have no prior knowledge of anything to do with Countdown or of any of the people contributing to this thread. It really is one of the strangest things you could ever read.
I got into the role so much that I reached your post and thought "pretend???"
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Des O'Connor would look like a deer in the headlights if he read this!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:Here's an interesting exercise.

I got into the role so much that I reached your post and thought "pretend???"
Couldn't you get stuck in an infinite loop like this?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

My very first post! It is indeed Ryan Vickers and he is one of the nicest chaps I have met, great day with him.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ryan Taylor wrote:My very first post! It is indeed Ryan Vickers and he is one of the nicest chaps I have met, great day with him.
Welcome Ryan "No relation to Julie T because her surname's T" Taylor!
Look forward to seeing you, the other c4cers, and various foreign people on the show soon!

Edit: No one's mentioned yet if he is any relation to that mate of Ben Wilson's who competes at some of his events, Matt Vickers. Course he could be related to Richard Priest too. *facepalm*
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Why didn't Damian change his name to Damien in the end credits today in hono(u)r of all this?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know you have all just seen the episode, but I'll see how "Mr. American Wheel of Fortune" does tonight.

A play-by-play will come just a few minutes later.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Derek Hazell wrote:he could be related to Richard Priest too. *facepalm*
Or Martin Bishop ;)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Rich Priest wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:[Ryan Vickers] could be related to Richard Priest too. *facepalm*
Or Martin Bishop ;)
To amuse myself, I just clicked the "Random page" link on the wiki, wondering what the chances might be of finding a name with which to continue this ecclesiastical theme. It took me to the player page for one Philip Logie. Bad times. :( Then I happened to glance at the line-up for his last game. DC guest - Nicholas Parsons. Good times. :D