C4C Link Dump

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

C4C Link Dump

Post by Matt Morrison »

Got a link to an article, or a video, or a game, or whatever, that you think other C4Cers might enjoy / want to see / need to be told about?
I do sometimes have the urge to share something awesome with you fucks for no other reason than you're quite a cool bunch in general, and sharing is good.

I'll start with a link for Jason: Justin Lee Collins telling Bruce Forsyth he's too old and needs to retire: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8269600.stm

And one that pool fan Junaid might enjoy, I'd love one of these for my pool table, could have some cool applications: http://vimeo.com/6646460
(I have this weird thing that whenever I'm practising pool after recently being on C4C, I end up thinking about how much I'd like to play/beat Junaid... no doubt rooted in a desire to be able to beat you guys at something)

Oh, and finally, my favourite music video for some time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJu60UR4js
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: C4C Link Dump

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Oh, and finally, my favourite music video for some time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJu60UR4js
Thanks for making me feel old. I feel ever so slightly diminished for having watched that. :( Plus I now have a headache.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:Best Flash game I've played for ages: http://armorgames.com/play/1760/hedgehog-launch
This is awesome. Just what I was hoping for, this thread's gonna be great. And last forever. Lofty ambitions. A bit like a hedgehog getting into space.
I've started pretty direly, but getting my first $200-or-so flight about 5 days in was a delicious moment. Still playing...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Best Flash game I've played for ages: http://armorgames.com/play/1760/hedgehog-launch
This is awesome. Just what I was hoping for, this thread's gonna be great. And last forever. Lofty ambitions. A bit like a hedgehog getting into space.
I've started pretty direly, but getting my first $200-or-so flight about 5 days in was a delicious moment. Still playing...
Your first flight that is long enough for the music to run out (at around 2m20) is pretty special too. Was worth $128k, Day 25. Into space. What was your Day-score Charlie?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: Your first flight that is long enough for the music to run out (at around 2m20) is pretty special too. Was worth $128k, Day 25. Into space. What was your Day-score Charlie?
I think my best is nine. Seven is probably doable with a bit of practice. You really need a lot of luck in the first few days (hitting the $10 coins), because that just snowballs the rest.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

So now I know what shooting stars are! Only took me 29 days too. :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I have discovered that not everyone shares quite such an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Internet as I do, so I figure I'll post somethings here which I think are cool, and which are most definitely old by Internet standards, but nevertheless suspect some of you might not have seen before. These will be in no particular order, since they will mostly depend on me remembering them.

Step 1 - the Robocop Rap
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Step 1 - the Robocop Rap
Amazing. Amazing. I always groan when someone links to me a YouTube video that turns out to be any longer than about 2 minutes, but somewhat unexpectedly I sat through all ten minutes of that, and totally loved it. Brought back so many good memories of enjoying the film as a youngster - I remember being annoyed at the time about how the hundreds of thousands of bullets shot at him throughout the film never managed to hit his exposed cheek/mouth bit. And westcountry rappers are always good value.

Also, so many lovely soundclips. I absolutely used to worship this song for its use of the "20 seconds to comply" and "think you can outsmart a bullet?" samples, to the point where I can't even watch the original Robocop lines without thinking about it. Twenty years old as well - timeless tune.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Oh, and finally, my favourite music video for some time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJu60UR4js
Thanks for making me feel old. I feel ever so slightly diminished for having watched that. :( Plus I now have a headache.
Not really my cup of tea but great to see a video without even a sniff of a size zero girl - let's hear it for the BBW's!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Self-explanatory: http://www.badpaintingsofbarackobama.com - click image for random reload, there's 50 or so I think...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Despite the title of the video, I had absolutely no idea how this was going to go down. I was suitably impressed. At 43 seconds, you can't afford to not watch this:

Blindfolded Man Tricked into Hitting Himself in the Nuts
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

This rules.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

^ Brilliant interpretation of Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 music)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oh, just remembered auto tune the news. There's quite a few on youtube now, I recommend starting with number 2 (just struggle through the very beginning bit, which is a bit rubbish).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Oh, just remembered auto tune the news. There's quite a few on youtube now, I recommend starting with number 2 (just struggle through the very beginning bit, which is a bit rubbish).
Quality! That was slightly over auto-tuned, to the point where I was probably making out only about a quarter of the words. That nevertheless it still got me cracking up is pretty impressive.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Quality! That was slightly over auto-tuned, to the point where I was probably making out only about a quarter of the words. That nevertheless it still got me cracking up is pretty impressive.
I think I've listened to it too much now, since I can understand pretty much all of it, but I can totally see what you mean.

(just ask Donkey Kong, he's in my creeeeeew)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Given that we already have at least one topic devoted to YouTube clips, can we not swamp this thread with them too?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This is a far greater thread, and some great things come in the form of videos, it's one of those unfortunate bi-products of YouTube being as popular and useful and great as it is.
I'm not going to stop posting YouTube links, but I certainly won't try and swamp things. Only one of the following three are YouTube vids :)

http://www.schrodingerskitten.co.uk/art ... -lies.html
The only fruit that exists is the tomato.

http://whymyexsucks.com/
User-submitted three-reason accounts of why ex-partners suck. Some are quite good. Starts with "1. She would try to snowball me after blowjobs. Every. Single. Time.".

Pretty Ricky - Late Night Special (YouTube)
One of the strangest things I've ever seen, not that I could bring myself to sit through much of it. Unless I'm mistaken, it very much appears to be young urban men practising their sex on a footrest. Phil, let this be the last YouTube video you ever watch.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:Pretty Ricky - Late Night Special (YouTube)
One of the strangest things I've ever seen, not that I could bring myself to sit through much of it. Unless I'm mistaken, it very much appears to be young urban men practising their sex on a footrest. Phil, let this be the last YouTube video you ever watch.
Ugh - seems to me to be more like young urban men demonstrating how crap they are likely to be at sex. Tossers.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Pretty Ricky - Late Night Special (YouTube)
I think I caught the end of that, plus an interview with the young men involved, on an edition of Rude Tube a few weeks back. Would have been a lot more entertaining to watch if, as each successive guy climbed onto the footstool, his predecessors had remained in place. But seriously, if that's one of the strangest things you've ever seen... you need to get out more. Or possibly stay in surfing the net more.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Quite a few people seem to be into video games from down the years, so this may be of some interest:

Muscle Beaver - video games animation
It's a pixel-by-pixel re-drawn journey through some recognisable video game characters and scenes, but then weirded up. Produced for a cancelled German video games documentary, it's a touch on the unfinished side but might prove to be interesting viewing for some of you.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Matt Morrison wrote:Quite a few people seem to be into video games from down the years, so this may be of some interest:

Muscle Beaver - video games animation
It's a pixel-by-pixel re-drawn journey through some recognisable video game characters and scenes, but then weirded up. Produced for a cancelled German video games documentary, it's a touch on the unfinished side but might prove to be interesting viewing for some of you.
I agree
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jimmy Gough wrote:I agree
Thanks for screwing up my browser, dude. :x
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

The winning entry from "Ukraine's Got Talent"

Don't let the title put you off, it's an astonishing work of art and inspired me to learn more about WW2 Ukrainian history.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Paul Howe wrote:The winning entry from "Ukraine's Got Talent"

Don't let the title put you off, it's an astonishing work of art and inspired me to learn more about WW2 Ukrainian history.
Amazing. Is there anything in it you could explain thanks to your studying of the history? I'm guessing there was a lot of symbolism there I'm missing out on. Or is it easier to just go and read wikipedia or something?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Paul Howe wrote:The winning entry from "Ukraine's Got Talent"

Stunning. At first I was just thinking, yeah this is the kind of thing Tony Hart used to do, but it developed into so much more. Thanks for that Paul.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Not really a link as such, just an image:

Quite old, but I still think it's funny. Incidentally, the website on which it originated seems to have gone tits up now; I've seen a Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan one somewhere but no others. Anyone know of any more?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote:Quite old, but I still think it's funny. Incidentally, the website on which it originated seems to have gone tits up now; I've seen a Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan one somewhere but no others. Anyone know of any more?
Brilliant! "Djddy" - classic. Not seen this or any equivalent before, so can't help out, but thanks for sharing, thoroughly enjoyed.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: Your first flight that is long enough for the music to run out (at around 2m20) is pretty special too. Was worth $128k, Day 25. Into space. What was your Day-score Charlie?
I think my best is nine. Seven is probably doable with a bit of practice. You really need a lot of luck in the first few days (hitting the $10 coins), because that just snowballs the rest.
Did it in 5 days on my 4th attempt, aided by a fantastic $2000 first day.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
That's pretty good, I think I had about 10 attempts to get nine. Then I moved on to Hedgehog Launch 2.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I think my best is nine. Seven is probably doable with a bit of practice. You really need a lot of luck in the first few days (hitting the $10 coins), because that just snowballs the rest.
That's pretty good, I think I had about 10 attempts to get nine. Then I moved on to Hedgehog Launch 2.
I ended up getting 8 days on my 2nd attempt, and haven't played since. Great fun, but as we've already established comparing scores isn't massively relevant.
Hedgehog Launch 2, though - this is exciting news. Not yet played, but here's the link that makes Charlie's revelation interactive.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

three frames
http://threeframes.net/
Pretty cool. See how many you can recognise before you get a headache.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

This is a Wii(Ware) Game called Bit.Trip Beat. Not only is it a pretty cool "retro(ish)" style game, it has funky music which you have to make by being good at the game. And this guy is just amazing at it. Marvel at his skill, and also just enjoy the music. I've had a go on the demo and it's fun enough, but I just can't stop watching this.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:This is a Wii(Ware) Game called Bit.Trip Beat. Not only is it a pretty cool "retro(ish)" style game, it has funky music which you have to make by being good at the game. And this guy is just amazing at it. Marvel at his skill, and also just enjoy the music. I've had a go on the demo and it's fun enough, but I just can't stop watching this.
We have Bit Trip Beat, it makes my sexy.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:This is a Wii(Ware) Game called Bit.Trip Beat. Not only is it a pretty cool "retro(ish)" style game, it has funky music which you have to make by being good at the game. And this guy is just amazing at it. Marvel at his skill, and also just enjoy the music. I've had a go on the demo and it's fun enough, but I just can't stop watching this.
That's beautiful. It's like Breakout on a Tenori-on!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:We have Bit Trip Beat, it makes my sexy.
So do I now, it's freaking awesome. I've limped to the end of Transition a couple of times now (once finishing in Nether mode, which wasn't very spectacular), and got my name on the high score table a couple of times (just under 1,000,000 points). Descent has just killed me in the first few minutes each time, so instead I'm just concentrating on getting my score up in Transition. Generally speaking I'm not really that into computer games anymore, but this one just seems to take me back and gives me the same sort of enjoyment I used to get out of them 20+ years ago. Brilliant. If you've got a Wii, it's a steal at 600 points (about £4.20).

(Unless of course you're somehow different to me and therefore don't like it)

Edit: I topped 2,000,000 on Transition for the first time last night. Still missing beats I know I shouldn't be though early on. Plus I haven't finished without going into Nether at least once (it's those bastard spinning lines of purple ones that always do it)

Edit: 6.5m last night...

Edit: A bit under 9m last night. Googling around, it doesn't seem that anyone's managed a perfect Transition (or any level) on Beat yet. I WILL BE FIRST.

Edit: 10.5m.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

As they say, what took so long? I'm sure one of us could have come up with this:
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/12/what_ ... ntdown.php
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:As they say, what took so long? I'm sure one of us could have come up with this:
Ha, I was thinking of this exact same thing yesterday, although I didn't come up with such a neat way of displaying it. A countdown on the green light would also be useful, because I'm often wondering whether it's worth speeding up to get through a light, or whether I should just slow down and accept the inevitable. Again this would be a fuel-saving measure (notwithstanding the fact that I'm cycling).
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:As they say, what took so long? I'm sure one of us could have come up with this:
Ha, I was thinking of this exact same thing yesterday, although I didn't come up with such a neat way of displaying it. A countdown on the green light would also be useful, because I'm often wondering whether it's worth speeding up to get through a light, or whether I should just slow down and accept the inevitable. Again this would be a fuel-saving measure (notwithstanding the fact that I'm cycling).
Would turning your engine off if you have a long time to wait actually save you fuel? I heard somewhere that it takes about 10 minutes' worth of car-running time to actually start your engine. I've never been able to substantiate that claim. Does anyone a bit more mechanical know?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This dude is my hero! It must've taken him a few Movembers to grow this bad boy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081dHOYY6IE
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I really like this.

Anyone ever heard 'Shatner of the Mount' by Fall on your Sword? It's brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBVDh7my9Q

Since i'm on a Star Trek theme, I stumbled upon this yesterday which i think is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV7GfydJ9A4

and while i'm still down there, this one is especially for fans of the voyager theme tune, or maybe not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFAiCB7YmmY
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Since no one has posted since me yet, here's more Shatner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLpLU7D7MWk
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Unless I'm mistaken, this will provide a fun few minutes for some of you mathsy, computery, creativey types:
http://www.zefrank.com/dtoy_vs_byokal/
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oops, I guess I was totally mistaken, thought that'd be right up your collective streets. :(

How about this instead, one of the best web animation intros I've ever seen to a site, this is for "America's No. 1 fashion house", Saahil:
http://www.sahil.com

Cracks me up. I love saying imaginative in this way now.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Serious? Satire? You decide!

Note, NSFH (Not Safe for Homeopathists).
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Charlie Reams wrote:Serious? Satire? You decide!

I now believe satire need not be intended. "Makes the building now not in structure form," indeed.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andrew Feist wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Serious? Satire? You decide!

I now believe satire need not be intended. "Makes the building now not in structure form," indeed.
I think it's probably serious, worryingly enough.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Thought this was interesting. I'd have been more impressed though if it read better but hey, better than all my efforts :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I think it's as old as the Internet itself, but this made me lol.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image
Matt, you've really let yourself go! (I was just looking at your avatar.)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Maybe the funniest vid I've watched on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1uU977AT0
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

This needs bumping because I've been reminded of NotAlwaysRight, which is basically a lot of funny customer service nightmare stories. Example. Fantastic procrastination tool.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:This needs bumping because I've been reminded of NotAlwaysRight, which is basically a lot of funny customer service nightmare stories. Example. Fantastic procrastination tool.
They all look totally made up.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

In a similar vein, but apparently less contrived/fabricated etc., is Computer Stupidities. A lot of it is from the earlier days of computing, so a fair amount of the humour might be lost on anyone who doesn't know what a 286 is, for instance.