Date Dice

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Date Dice

Post by Kieran Child »

I have two dice that can be used to display any day of the month in numerical format. Today, they are showing 0 and 8.
Both dice are 6 sided. What are the numbers on each of the dice?
Please don't post the answer, because it's quite a nice puzzle I think. PM me the answer if you me to reward you as an obedient slave for a day.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Date Dice

Post by Michael Wallace »

Is this puzzle of your own construction?
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I honestly don't remember. It's jotted down in one of my older notebooks, but I haven't put a source by it.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I have a calendar on my computer desk in front of me that consists of exactly what you described, so I found this puzzle quite easy.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I worked it out (I think) :)
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Do I get bonus points if I tell you what the days and months are in Danish? Because that's where my date dice calender came from. And no, I'm not going to pm the answer. ;)
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

After first thinking this was impossible, I think I've worked it out.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Matt and Jon have solved it. They get to share the top prize of a high-end fridge.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Cool.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kieran Child wrote:Matt and Jon have solved it.
Hello? :shock:
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

The referee is already flagging offside for references to Jon and I sharing our Smeg...
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Oh Phil solved it too, also some other people, but I think I've replied to all of them.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I think this had had long enough without any replies now. Kieran - want to give some clues or are you happy for someone to just post the answer (or, indeed, post it yourself)?
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Fair point, hillariously made.
The main thing to notice is that 6 can be flipped as a 9. Once you realise this, the rest of it is just logic to fit together.
Both dice have 0,1,2 on them, and then 3,4,5,6,7,8 are spread over the two dice.
My answer in the book is this:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I thought I'd post my 'strategy' (for want of a better word) for this, since I found it moderately interesting.

You start off knowing you have 12 'spaces' available, and a total of 10 numbers that need to be printed at least once. This means at most 2 duplicates. So first you know you've got to have a 1 on each die, for 11, and a 2 on each die, for 22. You also have to have a 0 on each die, because it's impossible to have 01 up to 09 with a 0 on only one die. But now you've got three duplicates, which means you can't have every number, and so at least two digits now have to be represented on the same face.

Admittedly if you just spot the 6/9 thing at the start you can avoid all that, although at least this way you prove you can't do it without that sort of trick. (although there may well be an even more succinct way of showing it)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Oh. I'd been working on this before I saw you've given an answer.

To my mind, you don't need a zero on both dice because when it's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc, of the month, there's no rule mentioned that says you have to display it as 01, 02, 03. So I'd just put the one relevent one out on the first 9 days of the month. So then, as long as 1,2, and 3 are on the opposite one to 0, you can do it, and it saves on dusting!

But I admit, your way is more 'tricksey'

N.B note my careful avoidance of the term dice, dices and die as I've just suffered a mind blank as to which is singular and which plural.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I hope to get rid of the 'displaying 8 as 8' idea by saying today was 08
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kieran Child wrote:I hope to get rid of the 'displaying 8 as 8' idea by saying today was 08
Yes, I saw that and assumed that to be a lure in the wrong direction that was all part of the evilness of the puzzle. You see, I was trying to think outside the box!!! On which subject can you PM me the answer to the 3 houses/3 services puzzle please - I'm really busy at the moment and really need to stop being distracted by it! Ta.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sue Sanders wrote:Oh. I'd been working on this before I saw you've given an answer.

To my mind, you don't need a zero on both dice because when it's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc, of the month, there's no rule mentioned that says you have to display it as 01, 02, 03. So I'd just put the one relevent one out on the first 9 days of the month. So then, as long as 1,2, and 3 are on the opposite one to 0, you can do it, and it saves on dusting!

But I admit, your way is more 'tricksey'

N.B note my careful avoidance of the term dice, dices and die as I've just suffered a mind blank as to which is singular and which plural.
When I PMed Keiran, I offered two solutions: one where you don't need to use both dice for 1-9 and one where one dice covered 6 and 9.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image
Legend.