Spoilers for Thurday 3rd September

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Thurday 3rd September

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Started early to piss James Robinson and Matthew Green off.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Thurday 3rd September

Post by Matthew Green »

I'm not pissed off. I only entered the house for the experience, I dont care about the hundred grand [despite being a working class 41 yr old lesbian with no prospects] and I dont care if nobody likes me.

I'm just genuine me, I say what I think and if you dont like it you can get fucked.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I'm slightly more pissed off that you think today is THURDAY, Douglas.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Do we even need this thread? Do we even need to watch??

Chris wins with 100-110 points. His opponent scores 40-50 but everyone agrees that if they had been playing someone other than Chris they would have potentially won a few games. Chris misses 2 or 3 maxes and one numbers game but throws in 4 or 5 very nice spots that only an apterite could know. Paul Xenon does a very average magic trick to which Susie acclaims 'Wow!' The challenger looks generally resigned to his fate from the start, Chris looks generally nervous throughout.

There, I just saved you all 45 minutes and freed up some Jeremy Kyle time.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matthew Green wrote:Do we even need this thread? Do we even need to watch??

Chris wins with 100-110 points. His opponent scores 40-50 but everyone agrees that if they had been playing someone other than Chris they would have potentially won a few games. Chris misses 2 or 3 maxes and one numbers game but throws in 4 or 5 very nice spots that only an apterite could know. Paul Xenon does a very average magic trick to which Susie acclaims 'Wow!' The challenger looks generally resigned to his fate from the start, Chris looks generally nervous throughout.

There, I just saved you all 45 minutes and freed up some Jeremy Kyle time.
Classic :lol: Thanks for the laugh first thing on a work day morning!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matthew Green wrote:Jeremy Kyle time
It's unlike you to use a euphemism.

Edit: Ooh yeah, feel my alliteration.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

It's a Scrabblyman today incidentally- Ross Mackenzie, recently-appointed chairman of the ABSP and another rated in the high 160s-170s.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:It's a Scrabblyman today incidentally- Ross Mackenzie, recently-appointed chairman of the ABSP and another rated in the high 160s-170s.
How do you know these sort of things? I couldn't see it discussed on the UK-scrabble forum.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ross is cute!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

If he gets the last numbers spot on as well as the conundrum, Chris will need two 6s and a 7 to equal the second highest score in 15 rounds and two 7s and a 6 to beat it by one.

He can't equal or beat the record of 146 without another 9.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Besides possibly those last numbers, were there any more points he dropped? That's got to be one of the best performances ever.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

bad darts going for 4 large in the last numbers, well done Chris, awesome
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Scrunchie - a little insight into Chris's hair management methods there?

But they don't make eyebrow scrunchies do they? - Chris's are personalities their own right!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I think just round one, JUDOIST.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Going 4 large in the last round hurt me sitting from home bringing back memories from playing on TV in my fourth game. Anyway that was the best game of Countdown I have seen for a very long time. Absolutely amazing. I was sitting at home thinking I was going to kill him with DERECHO and MALAPERT and then he'd have exactly the same. The scores were 129-129 between us and you got the conundrum far too quickly - absolutely phenomenal. To lose with 129 on TV would have hurt but sat at home it felt amazing - hats off to you Chris.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

I don't think it's fair to slate the challenger for picking 4 large, that's his perogative.

Due to some difficult numbers and lack of nines before today, Chris will need to average 122.6 in his remaining three games to topple Andrew as number one seed.

Looks like an Innis v Chris semi is on the cards!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

WOW! 139! Awesome stuff Chris.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

This took a few minutes:

(75-100*9/50)*7+25

Just managed to scrape past the challenger from my armchair - the first numbers was a disappointment for anyone hoping for a memorable contest.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Simply brilliant! Chris, very well played sir. 8-) Shame your probable 142 was spoilt though with that 4 large selection at the end. :x
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Great performance Chris.

Well done mate, you have done us proud!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Great stuff - when I saw TOTALISES I thought that the game would be over, was pretty surprised the challenger got it. Shame he missed the first numbers, could've been a really exciting affair (the excitement of the huge score notwithstanding). I did wonder about the MAGISTER round - is a vowel or a consonant the better pick after MAGISTED? (I would guess vowel, but I really have no idea)

Good stuff Chris, nice to see you finally getting some juicy selections (woof).
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Michael Wallace wrote:I did wonder about the MAGISTER round - is a vowel or a consonant the better pick after MAGISTED? (I would guess vowel, but I really have no idea)
Surely a vowel, for the possible 9.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Hugh Binnie wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:I did wonder about the MAGISTER round - is a vowel or a consonant the better pick after MAGISTED? (I would guess vowel, but I really have no idea)
Oh, so there are no possible 9s from MAGISTED+consonant? I guess that answers my question then.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Hugh Binnie wrote:
Oh, so there are no possible 9s from MAGISTED+consonant? I guess that answers my question then.
Weird, I actually thought that MAGISTER was spelt MADGISTER, so that proves me wrong.

Alternative for 1st numbers:

8 - 3 = 5

5 x 50 = 250

250 - 25 - 10 = 215
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Second highest ever score! Nice one, Chris :)
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Thanks everyone :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I know people don't all like this scoring system, but I think using the 9 points for 9s system, Chris's score of 121 was just one below Tom Hargreaves's 122 (which was 131 with one 9). A pity about the last numbers!

How is 900 watch going? What scores are needed in the final games?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

He needs to average 112.3 to break 900.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

An O would have given DOGMATISE (yay) and that's the only add to MAGISTED^.

I'm surprised, given Chris' flamboyant style, that he didn't offer STERIGMA instead.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

james doohan wrote:bad darts going for 4 large in the last numbers, well done Chris, awesome

Why is that?
Ross had every right to go for whatever he wanted. I thought this was a competition between 2 opponents and not simply a chance to make "apterites" look good.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Davy Affleck wrote:
james doohan wrote:bad darts going for 4 large in the last numbers, well done Chris, awesome

Why is that?
Ross had every right to go for whatever he wanted. I thought this was a competition between 2 opponents and not simply a chance to make "apterites" look good.
He did have a right to go for whatever he wanted and probably wanted his last numbers round to impress people, which is fine. The problem people have is that when you know you can't beat your opponent as you are more than 20 behind and you see he's on for a massive score then I, for one, would want to help this guy try to get the highest score by choosing 1 large as it could potentially be a record you are witnessing. 4 large or 6 small are notoriously hard and if people choose this they are either a) playing tactically to reduce their opponent's score or b) showing off. I think possibly option a) was in play here.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Davy Affleck wrote:
Why is that?
I agree with you this time, Davy. I can understand the big competition element between members of here and Apterous to try and outscore each other, especially on the TV. But I don't think anything should be said against the other contestants that don't even know about or use these online communities. Surely they are just interested in doing the best they can in their one and only chance to appear in front of the nation.
When it happened to Kirk for example, it was a shame. But the guy concerned was likeable, so he wouldn't have done it out of any malice.
These sites are great, but it's a shame when they become a bit insular, as after all they're all playing the same game.

Edit, to Kirk's reply while I was replying. If people haven't seen this site, or Apterous or the Wiki they are probably unaware or haven't even thought about records. The only answer therefore, would be to get everyone in the country who in interested in Countdown to join or read one of these sites.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Edit, to Kirk's reply while I was replying. If people haven't seen this site, or Apterous or the Wiki they are probably unaware or haven't even thought about records. The only answer therefore, would be to get everyone in the country who in interested in Countdown to join or read one of these sites.
You make a good point but without even knowing the record is 146, nearly everyone who watches Countdown classes over 100 as very good. You only need to watch say 10 episodes to see this doesn't happen all the time and certainly scores of 120 or above are rarely seen. Since Chris was on 122 I think most people would realise this was better than normal (maybe no ideas about records though).

I wonder if Ross kept track of scores or had no idea Chris was on a high total?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Kirk Bevins wrote:The problem people have is that when you know you can't beat your opponent as you are more than 20 behind and you see he's on for a massive score then I, for one, would want to help this guy try to get the highest score by choosing 1 large as it could potentially be a record you are witnessing.
Suppose you realise you are losing well before the end (I appreciate that this is a situation you can probably not imagine :) ), what lengths are you going to go to? Will you throw the condundrum? Hold back a 9-letter word in case your opponent didn't see it? Even if you succeed in bumping him up to a record score you are going to make him feel a right twat.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:He did have a right to go for whatever he wanted and probably wanted his last numbers round to impress people, which is fine. The problem people have is that when you know you can't beat your opponent as you are more than 20 behind and you see he's on for a massive score then I, for one, would want to help this guy try to get the highest score by choosing 1 large as it could potentially be a record you are witnessing. 4 large or 6 small are notoriously hard and if people choose this they are either a) playing tactically to reduce their opponent's score or b) showing off. I think possibly option a) was in play here.
But Kirk - you've never actually been in the position of having lost or drawn every round and coming up to your absolutely last ever chance of winning a round of Countdown. If it was Apterous Prune sitting there, then you'd have a point. But he's a human being, he's got no reason to worry about the pothunter sat next to him. (And if it's not a pothunter sat next to him, he'd surely rather win a genuine contest than a game rigged in his favour?)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Fair comments folks.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Well, at least I learnt a new word from this thread - I had never heard "pothunter" before, so just looked it up online. Good word, thanks David Roe.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote: But Kirk - you've never actually been in the position of having lost or drawn every round and coming up to your absolutely last ever chance of winning a round of Countdown.
Are you sure about that?
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David Roe wrote: But Kirk - you've never actually been in the position of having lost or drawn every round and coming up to your absolutely last ever chance of winning a round of Countdown.
Are you sure about that?
And he picked 6 small. :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David Roe wrote: And he picked 6 small. :)
He wasn't on for a record. Anyway I was sooooo nervous I had even written down the scores wrongly. I thought I was 90-70 down not 90-69 down and thought I could still win it.