Writers & Poets

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Nick Boldock
Rookie

Writers & Poets

Post by Nick Boldock »

What with us Apterous folk being (presumably) wordy types, I was wondering if there were any other writers/poets on board? (Me being one myself).

Come on... own up.

Always keen to meet other writer-y folk - I guess I can't be the only one on here??
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Writers & Poets

Post by Derek Hazell »

There are a few amateur poets on these boards. We have a "poetry corner" thread where people have submitted a few. As for published writers, I think the only one who has admitted to that has been Clare Sudbery, who has written a couple of acclaimed novels. I have access to a database of virtually every published author in the UK, so I could always type some names in if you like.

Did you get published, and what kind of stuff do you write?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

Derek Hazell wrote:There are a few amateur poets on these boards. We have a "poetry corner" thread where people have submitted a few. As for published writers, I think the only one who has admitted to that has been Clare Sudbery, who has written a couple of acclaimed novels. I have access to a database of virtually every published author in the UK, so I could always type some names in if you like.

Did you get published, and what kind of stuff do you write?
I've had two short stories published, one in an anthology, and one in a regional Arts magazine thing.

Two poems published although I don't write poetry for the page much - I'm a performance poet, on occasion (gig last night in fact!).

I love short stories and would really like to get more of them published. Sadly markets are few and far between these days.

I didn't know there was a "Poetry Corner" - I'll look that up, thanks.

I'm also working on a novel but that's been the case for a ridiculous length of time and it's no nearer completion!!

EDIT: A few articles and reviews published too, usually music reviews and such like. Oh, and I'm the official Hull City blogger for The Times online, which is good fun (but unpaid).
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

My year 10 creative writing can be found here:
http://asoue.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... read=26097

I think some people on here may like it :)
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

I wrote a shamelessly left-wing piece for the Guardian a few months ago which can be found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepu ... rey-burgin. I also made thelondonpaper's "The Columnist" with a less serious article a couple of months back which is at http://talkpages.thelondonpaper.com/col ... d=blogDest; I think it returned a 88% More vote against a 12% Bore vote. Incidentally, for anyone doing General Studies in January you'll find my Guardian piece in the exam, which I was paid the handsome amount of £150 for.

I wish I knew how to give links but without providing the full web address. :P
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:I wish I knew how to give links but without providing the full web address. :P
There are 2 ways. See Kai's method below :) , or you can type the address into tinyurl.com/ and they will give you a shorter version to use for linking.
Last edited by Derek Hazell on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:I wish I knew how to give links but without providing the full web address. :P

Code: Select all

[url=www.c4countdown.co.uk]Internet forums.[/url]
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:
There are 2 ways. See Kai's method below :) , or you can type the address into tinyurl.com/ and they will give you a shorter version to use for linking.
Wow - so you knew Kai was going to post that? Are you an alien?
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:I wrote a shamelessly left-wing piece for the Guardian a few months ago which can be found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/joepu ... rey-burgin. I also made thelondonpaper's "The Columnist" with a less serious article a couple of months back which is at http://talkpages.thelondonpaper.com/col ... d=blogDest; I think it returned a 88% More vote against a 12% Bore vote. Incidentally, for anyone doing General Studies in January you'll find my Guardian piece in the exam, which I was paid the handsome amount of £150 for.

I wish I knew how to give links but without providing the full web address. :P
Nice work mate. Like the Grauniad piece especially.