Exam results

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Exam results

Post by Charlie Reams »

It's that time of year again... A level results! Hope all those concerned did well, and feel free to brag shamelessly in here if you did.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Re: Exam results

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Managed to get my 3 As to read Economics and Management at Merton College, Oxford, and am still recovering from the shock. I knew Maths would be touch and go and ended up getting 502, smacked English getting full marks in coursework and synoptic and finishing with 564 and also got full marks in Nazi Germany on my way to 531 in History.

The bit I've always feared was ringing my parents and telling them I'd missed out, not because they'd be disappointed but because this was beyond their wildest dreams and all I've ever wanted to do was make them proud. My dad dropped out without taking O-Levels, my mum grew up in the Philippines brushing her teeth with a twig and salty water, so for me to get into Oxford is something that means so much to them. All the hours locked away revising pale into insignificance when you hear your mum crying with joy on the phone. :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Managed to get my 3 As to read Economics and Management at Merton College, Oxford
Sounds like just the sort of mickey mouse course they'd offer at the other place...

Nah seriously, well done :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well done, Jeffrey. Many congratulations. ;) :) :D

I'm still waiting for the hysteria to commence at my house when I get home.

My sister's awaiting her results, although she knows she's got into Loughborough, so she's already happy!
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Michael Wallace wrote: Sounds like just the sort of mickey mouse course they'd offer at the other place...

Nah seriously, well done :)
Haha, I know the 'management' makes it sound a bit shit but you can't do just Economics.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Haha, I know the 'management' makes it sound a bit shit but you can't do just Economics.
I was going to reply saying "yeah, it's like $course at Cambridge", but then I went to look at the course list and it seems I was mis-remembering, and they are in fact all sensible (well, if you ignore the things on the 'arts' side...). That said, since when was economics an 'art'? (admittedly, my knowledge of economics extends to "you do stuff with finances")
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Got As in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics but I'm not sure what to do with them.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Well done Jeffrey, even though I detest everything about Merton that's an awesome achievement. With that blonde girl that James Robinson beat, there could be enough Countdowners in Oxford next year to warrant a tournament. Could get the legend James Martin too, as he works with one of my former tutors.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I got an F in Erection.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Aaron Higgs
Rookie

Post by Aaron Higgs »

got an A in Law and Economics, B in Business and a D in ICT ( :| ), met my offer with Manchester, going to do Accounting and Finance. :mrgreen:
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Well done Jeff.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Well done Matt :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I found out that I got five A's in my As levels today:). Gotta start thinking about which university courses i will apply for now, the choice is overwhelming :(
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:Gotta start thinking about which university courses i will apply for now, the choice is overwhelming :(
I hear there's a great university in Cambridge.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

My AS results: ACDD (World Development, History, Maths (the full A Level) and English Lit. respectively).

I predicted my results quite accurately, the only surprise being the A grade. I got a B in AS Maths and got EEU in the A Level. I want to do English at university, but I don't know, I'll just have to see. I'm tempted to just give up on this whole higher education thing and look for a job but the chances of me getting one are nil.

Congratulations to those above. Jeffery: you now seem like less of a twat.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

JackHurst wrote:the choice is overwhelming :(
Poor you. :? :P
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jimmy Gough wrote: Jeffery: you now seem like less of a twat.
He seems fine to me, Well done for getting impressive marks and getting into Oxford.
Where do you lot stand on talking about marks? With people at school, about a quarter like to talk about and compare marks, and then i think the rest of the people don't like it if you tell them anything more than your grade (Unless you're telling them you were one or two marks off a certain grade). I adapt what i tell people depending on who I'm talking to.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

JackHurst wrote: Where do you lot stand on talking about marks? With people at school, about a quarter like to talk about and compare marks, and then i think the rest of the people don't like it if you tell them anything more than your grade (Unless you're telling them you were one or two marks off a certain grade). I adapt what i tell people depending on who I'm talking to.
As in "Ha, you only got 85/100 - that's a crap A grade"?

I think it's funny that people always say I was only X off of a B or whatever no matter how far away they are, even when they're closer to the grade below. I suppose it's worth mentioning if it's one or two off, but not when it's like ten or something.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

I guess I'll take that as a compliment, although I'm disappointed to know I was thought of as a twat. :P Hopefully my appearances on the show will be more complimentary, as I guess everyone goes around giving it the Barry Big 'Un online. Coincidentally was there any particular reason? Don't hold back either. :)

And Junaid, what's with the hating on Merton? Although admittedly any reputation it may have will be lost on me, as I have no experience of Oxford colleges and applied only on the basis I went there on Open Day, which in turn was randomly generated by me typing 'good Oxford colleges for Economics and Management' into Google and finding Balliol's Open Day was unsurprisingly booked up only two days before.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
I guess I'll take that as a compliment, although I'm disappointed to know I was thought of as a twat. :P Hopefully my appearances on the show will be more complimentary, as I guess everyone goes around giving it the Barry Big 'Un online. Coincidentally was there any particular reason? Don't hold back either. :)
Just that thread.

Seriously well done though, I'd give my right arm to go to Oxford...maybe.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:And Junaid, what's with the hating on Merton?
a) Far too rich
b) Far too obsessed with topping the college league tables every year, to the extent that not getting a first is an embarrassment to them
c) Full of toffs
d) It's not St Anne's

Still, I'm sure you'll have a great time :?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:a) Far too rich
b) Far too obsessed with topping the college league tables every year, to the extent that not getting a first is an embarrassment to them
c) Full of toffs
d) It's not St Anne's
I'm not Oxbridge hating but did you not just describe, well, you know, Oxbridge?
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Matt Morrison wrote:
c) Full of toffs
d) It's not St Anne's
I'm not Oxbridge hating but did you not just describe, well, you know, Oxbridge?
To some extent yes, Merton is as close to the stereotype as you'll get. Anne's is completely at the other end of the spectrum, whilst most fall somewhere in between.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Jimmy Gough wrote: Just that thread.
Fair enough, I can see why you'd think I was a tosspot on the basis of that. Was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I probably got carried away.

Funnily enough though Junaid, I went there expecting exactly that but whilst a couple of people were rich toffs (putting it a polite way there!), the majority I met were very nice people who were probably more middle-class. Having researched Merton I was aware of the whole topping the tables thing but didn't know it was a massive deal to them- I suspect now they will be thoroughly disappointed with my work ethic in addition to the lack of riches, private schooling and working-class mannerisms.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

c) Full of toffs
d) It's not St Anne's
What's wrong with that? Sounds just like Trinity...
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

[quote="Junaid Mubeen"]
d) It's not St Anne's
quote]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

aw, come on
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Got my AS results today and they are as follows:

Business Studies B
English Language B
History B
Economics C

Fairly pleased with them but felt that I could have done a bit better :(
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote: d) It's not St Anne's
quote]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

aw, come on
Quote fail.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

A two-player university competition would be ideal. I haven't chosen two player because Paul Gallen graduated from the same uni as me, oh no.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

David O'Donnell wrote:A two-player university competition would be ideal. I haven't chosen two player because Paul Gallen graduated from the same uni as me, oh no.
Two player? Well there was someone I encountered during the introduction week who said they played Scrabble...
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I got an A in my jollyphonics resit and have accepted an offer from Thrunscoe Juniors in Cleethorpes to study spelling.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I was given a thingy to get my GCSE results online. It knows your basic info (eg. DOB). You have to be 13 to sign up for it. Yup.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I was given a thingy to get my GCSE results online. It knows your basic info (eg. DOB). You have to be 13 to sign up for it. Yup.
Whcih subjects did you sit?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I was given a thingy to get my GCSE results online. It knows your basic info (eg. DOB). You have to be 13 to sign up for it. Yup.
Whcih subjects did you sit?
Er, maths.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I'll make a quick reappearance: 3As in maths, further maths and physics and a capitulatory B in computing; plus a 1,1 in STEP. Enough to sneak into St. John's College, Cambridge.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Nice one Conor, congrats :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Results tomorrow! *tense*
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Wouldn't worry, Kai. You can always take it again next year. And the year after. And the year after that. ;)
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Conor wrote:I'll make a quick reappearance: 3As in maths, further maths and physics and a capitulatory B in computing; plus a 1,1 in STEP. Enough to sneak into St. John's College, Cambridge.
Awesome, congrats! Although....ah dammit, Varsity Countdown has taken a horrible twist.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Conor wrote:Enough to sneak into St. John's College, Cambridge.
Boo.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Conor wrote:I'll make a quick reappearance: 3As in maths, further maths and physics and a capitulatory B in computing; plus a 1,1 in STEP. Enough to sneak into St. John's College, Cambridge.
Well done!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Congratulations, great effort! (especially the STEP bit)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Congrats Conor
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Well done Conor. Enjoy university, it's the best time of your life.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I got ADDE
Which considering I missed the entirity of the summer modules and 3 of the january modules isn't all that bad.
(the A is 100 UMS too I think)
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Well done mate, I know a 1,1 is bloody impressive because a guy at my school who is freaky good at Maths only got a 1,2. I'd challenge you to an Varsity Freshers' Match, but I think we know what the outcome of that would be!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I could try and be modest like Conor, but I'm over the moon - A* in GCSE Maths and 100% in Core 1 (AS Maths module)! :D
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I could try and be modest like Conor, but I'm over the moon - A* in GCSE Maths and 100% in Core 1 (AS Maths module)! :D
Wahey, congratulations little dude. What the fudge is 'Core' though? It used to Pure, Stats, Mechanics and Decision Maths in my day.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Paul Howe wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I could try and be modest like Conor, but I'm over the moon - A* in GCSE Maths and 100% in Core 1 (AS Maths module)! :D
Wahey, congratulations little dude. What the fudge is 'Core' though? It used to Pure, Stats, Mechanics and Decision Maths in my day.
Core is Pure.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Paul Howe wrote:
Well, before someone else old says it - what the freaking freak is Decision Maths? It used to be Pure, Stats and Mechanics in my day.

Oh, and well done everyone (as applicable)!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

JimBentley wrote:Well, before someone else old says it - what the freaking freak is Decision Maths? It used to be Pure, Stats and Mechanics in my day.

IIRC there were a couple of "decision and discrete" maths modules (at least I think there were when I did A level maths), which were hilariously easy. I once read one of the module textbooks in an afternoon when I was board, it was shit like "Janice needs to shower, have breakfast, brush her teeth, etc. etc. before she can leave for work, find the most efficient order".

Edit: Another fun thing - you could get 100 in the exam without getting all the questions right, which I didn't realise until I got 100 for a module where I hadn't answered all the questions (at the time I thought there must've been a marking error, and wasn't sure whether I should bring it up :oops: )
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:It used to Pure, Stats, Mechanics and Decision Maths in my day.
Well, before someone else old says it - what the freaking freak is Decision Maths? It used to be Pure, Stats and Mechanics in my day.
It was Pure, Stats and Applied in my day.
^ This. ^
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:I was board
Hard, chip or over?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:I was board
Hard, chip or over?
You'll notice this was maths, not English.

(I swear I only make these mistakes on the Internet)

((also, I only just woke up, lay off me, man))
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Hard, chip or over?
lay off me, man
Insert your own ridiculously inappropriate banworthy homosexuality joke here.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Michael Wallace wrote: IIRC there were a couple of "decision and discrete" maths modules (at least I think there were when I did A level maths), which were hilariously easy. I once read one of the module textbooks in an afternoon when I was board, it was shit like "Janice needs to shower, have breakfast, brush her teeth, etc. etc. before she can leave for work, find the most efficient order".
Indeed. Our school managed to fudge it so further maths students could take D1 instead of M3 and have the results carry the same weight. A shame really because I rather enjoyed mechanics, despite the extra challenge.

And I seem to be worryingly obsessed with fudge recently.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Paul Howe wrote:And I seem to be worryingly obsessed with fudge recently.
Insert your own ridiculously inappropriate banworthy homosexuality joke here.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Paul Howe wrote:Indeed. Our school managed to fudge it so further maths students could take D1 instead of M3 and have the results carry the same weight. A shame really because I rather enjoyed mechanics, despite the extra challenge.
Yeah, I seem to remember there was an amusingly complex set of rules about how modules could get translated in the A level(s), and how certain modules had to be included in further maths, etc. etc. I just ended up doing the 'classic' 5-4-3 (P-M-S), despite the fact I hated mechanics. Although having said that, I hated statistics too...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell (for the second time) wrote:Insert your own ridiculously inappropriate banworthy homosexuality joke here.
LOL

(No, really, I did. Normally, when people write stuff like "I need to get some sleep LOL", I think: no, you didn't actually laugh out loud when you typed that, or if you did then you're a moron. But I genuinely did LOL at that.)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Derek Hazell (for the second time) wrote:Insert your own ridiculously inappropriate banworthy homosexuality joke here.
LOL

(No, really, I did. Normally, when people write stuff like "I need to get some sleep LOL", I think: no, you didn't actually laugh out loud when you typed that, or if you did then you're a moron. But I genuinely did LOL at that.)
A-lol ...meaning "actually laugh/laughed/laughing out loud" - it's a term I invented a year or two ago as a response to the meaningless of "lol" and is very slowly spreading around the internet. I must get round to getting t-shirts printed.