Leftie or Rightie

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Left Or Right? Are you....

Poll ended at Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 am

Essentially left handed
23%
Essentially right handed
64%
Write with your left but do a significant number of important tasks right handed
5%
Write with your right but do a significant number of important tasks left handed
7%
Ampidexterous in that you are comfortable with either hand for most tasks
2%
Other - but I can't think what!
No votes

Total votes: 44

Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Leftie or Rightie

Post by Sue Sanders »

Are you left or right handed? I'm left handed and I do a creative job. When I started watching Countdown all those years ago, I felt the letters game came naturally - maybe because I'm a creative person, words come more easily. The numbers game is something I've had to learn to play and do literally still count on my fingers.

I wondered whether Countdowners follow the average - are around 1 in 10 of us left-handed or does the fact that Countdown is a mental game give it a leaning towards the right handers?

To establish if the right-handers logic wins over left-handers creativity, we need a carefully compiled, scientific poll.

This isn't it. This is just a poll to pass the time!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Leftie or Rightie

Post by Charlie Reams »

ITYM Ambidextrous
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:ITYM Ambidextrous
And, thanks - yeah, I've spelled Ambidexterous wrong. :oops:
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:To establish if the right-handers logic wins over left-handers creativity, we need a carefully compiled, scientific poll.
Is this a well known stereotype? Lefties are well over-represented among e.g. mathematics graduates.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:I've spelled Ambidexterous wrong.
ITYM "I've spelled Ambidextrous wrong again."
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:I've spelled Ambidexterous wrong.
ITYM "I've spelled Ambidextrous wrong again."
Thanks, Phill Renolds :lol:
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I am shit at throwing stuff with my left hand. Have spent several hours throwing stones on the beach with friends with our left hands and dying of laughter.
I went for essentially right handed, I'm more ambidextrous than most, but I'm not ambidextrous, and I still do most stuff with my right hand even if the left hand would suffice.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm more ambidextrous than most
Ohrly?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:I am shit at throwing stuff with my left hand. Have spent several hours throwing stones on the beach with friends with our left hands and dying of laughter.
I went for essentially right handed, I'm more ambidextrous than most, but I'm not ambidextrous, and I still do most stuff with my right hand even if the left hand would suffice.
You seem to pull off that rude-boy hand gesture rather well with your left hand in your avatar though :)

Some of you might know I have a kid brother called Alex. He's got acute cerebral palsy which affects his right side and as a result he lacks muscle definition in his right hand. He has physio sessions regularly to increase his coordination and strength but he still struggles with manual tasks in everyday life such as tying laces and he can't supinate either. I know there are kids out there a lot worse off but it's actually quite heart-wrenching knowing he might never be able to do certain stuff like ride a bike. Obviously its important for him to use his right hand as much as possible and to try and encourage him I'll sometimes only use my left hand to do anything, but I find it bloody difficult and have no idea how he manages to cope with essentially just his left hand 24:7.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:To establish if the right-handers logic wins over left-handers creativity, we need a carefully compiled, scientific poll.
Is this a well known stereotype? Lefties are well over-represented among e.g. mathematics graduates.
I'm confident in saying that this is a widely held belief (though I'M not saying whether it's right or wrong) This is an interesting article about left - handedness being identified as an indication of a more symmetrical brain - i.e no left side/right side brain dominance. http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/01/brain.html

On the question of mathematics, my opinion would be that right handed people could be good mathematicians and left handed people great mathematicians - it would maybe be the creative ability to think outside the box that makes maths a more exciting and rewarding - and therefore productive, subject for them. Maths at that level, which to me is elusive and incomprehensible, is nevertheless a concept I find fascinating. I know it's covering a slightly different subject but I'll often joke that I've read Stephen Hawkin's 'Brief History of Time' in that I've passed my eyes over every work of text but really only heard a penny drop on two pages! My 'creative' side wants to know more but my intelligence isn't up to it.

I am slow at adding up and still have to chant little chunks of my times tables to do multiplication, so perhaps I'm less blessed with those basic skills that a right hander has? Those skills that a good 'numbers game' player needs, maybe :?:
Fool's top.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Matt Morrison wrote:I am shit at throwing stuff with my left hand.
Do you find it's the same when you try tossing with your left hand?
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Some of you might know I have a kid brother called Alex. He's got acute cerebral palsy which affects his right side and as a result he lacks muscle definition in his right hand. He has physio sessions regularly to increase his coordination and strength but he still struggles with manual tasks in everyday life such as tying laces and he can't supinate either. I know there are kids out there a lot worse off but it's actually quite heart-wrenching knowing he might never be able to do certain stuff like ride a bike. Obviously its important for him to use his right hand as much as possible and to try and encourage him I'll sometimes only use my left hand to do anything, but I find it bloody difficult and have no idea how he manages to cope with essentially just his left hand 24:7.
I didn't know that Dinos - thanks for sharing. I can well imagine how difficult Alex's life must be but he's lucky to have a big bro like you.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Philip Jarvis wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I am shit at throwing stuff with my left hand.
Do you find it's the same when you try tossing with your left hand?

The 'tossing' element. I knew it was only a matter of time...... :lol:
Fool's top.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Right-handed for just about everything, though I start juggling with the left hand. My feet are evenly matched when it comes to football.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:My feet are evenly matched when it comes to football.
Me too. Also applies to dancing.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I write with my left hand, but do everything else with my right hand.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jason Larsen wrote:I write with my left hand, but do everything else with my right hand.
Which hand do you type "I write with my left hand, but do everything else with my right hand." with?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I am right handed, which is a bit annoying when it comes to the mathmo test.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I'm right-handed but often use my left hand with keys to lock/unlock stuff. I can throw 20-30 yards flat with my left arm, so not too bad - that compares to a very strong throw with my right arm though so isn't very good relatively speaking.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ohrly?
Ha - that's interesting. Something mentioned in the article I gave a link to (ambidextrous people assuming that people on telly are actually taking directly to them) fits in quite nicely now I've checked out the Ohrly link.
Fool's top.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm pretty much totally right-handed. I can barely hold a pen in my left hand, never mind write anything and I can't throw (or catch) left-handed at all. However, I use both hands pretty much equally when typing, possibly because I do a sort of mutant touch-typing - once I know where I am on the keyboard, I don't need to look at it again unless it's to get one of the weirdo characters like "@" or "}".
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

JimBentley wrote:mutant touch-typing - once I know where I am on the keyboard, I don't need to look at it again unless it's to get one of the weirdo characters like "@" or "}".
What makes your touch typing mutant?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Michael Wallace wrote:
JimBentley wrote:mutant touch-typing - once I know where I am on the keyboard, I don't need to look at it again unless it's to get one of the weirdo characters like "@" or "}".
What makes your touch typing mutant?
I don't keep my fingers on any guide keys, or necessarily use the same fingers for particular keys in a consistent way. I've just sort of got used to the spacing between keys on a standard keyboard, so "know" where everything is by its relative proximity to other stuff, if that makes any sort of sense. When I got one of those strange ergonomic curvy keyboards at work it fucked me up for a while, as the keys aren't evenly spaced.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I prefer my right hand though I can write perfect legibly (albeit slowly) with my left hand and there's very little I can do with my right I can't do with my left. And more than a few things I can do with my left I can't do with my right.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I type with my right hand, Derek.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I taught myself to throw darts left-handedly, but I'm righty otherwise. I did hit some decent volleys on a tennis court left-handed the other day too.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

JimBentley wrote:I don't keep my fingers on any guide keys, or necessarily use the same fingers for particular keys in a consistent way. I've just sort of got used to the spacing between keys on a standard keyboard, so "know" where everything is by its relative proximity to other stuff, if that makes any sort of sense. When I got one of those strange ergonomic curvy keyboards at work it fucked me up for a while, as the keys aren't evenly spaced.
If it makes you feel any less freakish, I think a lot of people touch-type like that, myself included.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

ui think im quiet ambdexod trealtt, tylo sjow tyhaty i trpesdf thfis euoth my penisd, gho waiot i merat l;eft hand.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ohrly?
That article is of course irrelevant to me, as I am above average at judging my own abilities.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm right-handed. People comment on how my writing is poor (although it's actually really good but no-one else seems capable of grasping this) and once someone suggested to me (as a joke, possibly) that I might be ambisinistrous.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Re: Lefty or Rightie

Post by George Jenkins »

Hugh Binnie wrote:
Jim Bentley wrote:I don't keep my fingers on any guide keys, or necessarily use the same fingers for particular keys in a consistent way. I've just sort of got used to the spacing between keys on a standard keyboard, so "know" where everything is by its relative proximity to other stuff, if that makes any sort of sense. When I got one of those strange ergonomic curvy keyboards at work it fucked me up for a while, as the keys aren't evenly spaced.
If it makes you feel any less freakish, I think a lot of people touch-type like that, myself included.
Here I go again, in my young days we wrote right-handed or got a ruler across the knuckles. I was told years later, it was to assist us to be suitable for office jobs when ledgers were hand-written. I can't imagine us urchins from the back streets of Deptford being employed in offices. Another reason was the belief that being left-handed was the mark of the Devil. My German ex-sister in-law told me that her mother would tie her left hand behind her back, in order to force to use her right hand for everything, including writing. They were Catholics, so I assume that they were afraid of the Devil stealing their daughter. I was forced to use my right hand for writing from the age of three, which resulted in an unreadable script until my later years, when I learnt to write in Chancery italic script, again right-handed. I still do crosswords, use tools and paint pictures left-handed. I wonder if being forced to use the "wrong" hand against the natural inclinations of the brain has an adverse effect on intelligence. I suffer from a form of dyslexia where I get the letters the wrong way round. It's my excuse anyway.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I guess it is - if you watch TV loads more actors than the average population (not a carefully crafted statistical analysis but enough for a noticeable observation) seem to be left-handed. It's not surprising that maths graduates are >10% as maths in itself is a creative thought process. (Read Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh - great book. :)) I would even go so far as to suggest maths graduates may have other talents too - it often goes hand-in-hand with music, for example.

Many of my hb's family are lefties or ambidextrous, and they're often artists & he's very musical.

Not me - proper rightie (except when playing an instrument or typing and then it's pretty ambidextrous, but that's training).
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: That article is of course irrelevant to me, as I am above average at judging my own abilities.
Heehee.
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm right-handed. People comment on how my writing is poor (although it's actually really good but no-one else seems capable of grasping this) and once someone suggested to me (as a joke, possibly) that I might be ambisinistrous.
I can confirm that your writing is indeed terrible.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

There was a thing rigged up at the dome when it was still that empty, rather disappointing, shed of random interactive exhibits. Essentially it was to see if you could do mirror writing/drawing. The group of people in front of us were laughing and getting frustrated and sticking their tongues out in concentration. When it was our turn, my Mum and I, both left handed, just walked up, put our hand in the box, wrote the words and drew the pictures. 8-)
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:There was a thing rigged up at the dome when it was still that empty, rather disappointing, shed of random interactive exhibits. Essentially it was to see if you could do mirror writing/drawing. The group of people in front of us were laughing and getting frustrated and sticking their tongues out in concentration. When it was our turn, my Mum and I, both left handed, just walked up, put our hand in the box, wrote the words and drew the pictures. 8-)
I can write upside down quite easily (useful for teaching small groups) and I'm a rightie, so I'm not convinced this is a HAIRYCLIT thing.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:There was a thing rigged up at the dome when it was still that empty, rather disappointing, shed of random interactive exhibits. Essentially it was to see if you could do mirror writing/drawing. The group of people in front of us were laughing and getting frustrated and sticking their tongues out in concentration. When it was our turn, my Mum and I, both left handed, just walked up, put our hand in the box, wrote the words and drew the pictures. 8-)
I can write upside down quite easily (useful for teaching small groups) and I'm a rightie, so I'm not convinced this is a HAIRYCLIT thing.
Haven't got one of those!

No, you're right, any generalisation is up for question (I get fed up with being told, as a woman, I MUST be able to multitask). Of course, there are things you can become good at through practise, and things that come naturally. Drawing to me is natural, I've been good at drawing since I was tiny and at school, my two friends who were left-handed were good too. I had two friends, though, both right-handed who were fantastic at copying illustrations/cartoons/photos and very neat in the way they coloured things in and used to do things like preliminary drawings. :? My leftie friends and I used to have scribble fests. It would have been interesting to know if our drawing skills showed our brains were all wired the same way, or whether our two different approaches were because they weren't.
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:On the question of mathematics, my opinion would be that right handed people could be good mathematicians and left handed people great mathematicians
Prompted to investigate by Sue's theory, I've just discovered that Alan Turing was left-handed. Never occurred to me to check this out when I was playing him.

Bugger.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I'm a Maths graduate, and am left-handed.

I'm also useless at creative stuff, although I'm rather improved now that I'm mature enough not to give a monkey's whether things are brilliant or not, or what others might think.

I could be blowing hot air here, but maybe the more geeky type teenagers (when we usually decide what paths to take in life), tend not to hone their creative skills as much as others, because they worry about things not being 'perfect'.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Never occurred to me to check this out when I was playing him.
Was this on apterous?

Yes, it's amazing what you can do with a Turing machine.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Never occurred to me to check this out when I was playing him.
Was this on apterous?
No, although the idea does prompt amusing speculation on what proportion of the conversations on aptochat might fail the Turing Test.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Was this on apterous?

There's no 'I' in 'Team' but there is a 'Phil' in 'Necrophilia' ;)
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Was this on apterous?

There's no 'I' in 'Team' but there is a 'Phil' in 'Necrophilia' ;)
And there's a "Sue" in "Phil might sue you for saying that, but he seems a rational guy so I doubt he will" :-P
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: That article is of course irrelevant to me, as I am above average at judging my own abilities.
Heehee.
Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm right-handed. People comment on how my writing is poor (although it's actually really good but no-one else seems capable of grasping this) and once someone suggested to me (as a joke, possibly) that I might be ambisinistrous.
I can confirm that your writing is indeed terrible.
Have you read this? I imagine you'd probably quite enjoy it, but then again I also imagine you'd be the sort of person who would only read the raw journal articles.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Have you read this? I imagine you'd probably quite enjoy it, but then again I also imagine you'd be the sort of person who would only read the raw journal articles.
That looks kinda interesting, and I'm not averse to reading summaries of things outside my own subject.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've often pointed out that there's a high proportion of left-handed Countdown champions. Julian Fell was the first one that came to mind. I've never actually counted (that would be really difficult) it's just an observation.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What?

They're not creative?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Gardner wrote:I've often pointed out that there's a high proportion of left-handed Countdown champions. Julian Fell was the first one that came to mind. I've never actually counted (that would be really difficult) it's just an observation.
Whilst you say you haven't counted, can you at least give an estimate of what you think a 'high proportion' is? It's one of those "interesting, if true" things, imo.