The long-awaited music thread!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

The long-awaited music thread!

Post by David O'Donnell »

It dawned on me, a while back, that we have quite a few musicians on this forum. I thought it would be interesting to hear what you all sound like; perhaps we could upload a few tunes to a site? At the very least it may be worth a laugh!
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: The long-awaited music thread!

Post by Innis Carson »

I'm a trumpet player, but fortunately for you all I've got nothing recorded that I can upload.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Double bass pwn 8-)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Yeah, double basses all the way, although all my recordings are on either minidisc or cassette, so unfortunately I can't share my mad skillz* with you all.

* Skillz may not actually be mad.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:Yeah, double basses all the way, although all my recordings are on either minidisc or cassette
What's stopping you plugging your minidisc player into your computer and recording off it? I use Rip Vinyl to do just that (other solutions are available).
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I am not talking about premium production values - just put it on your i-pod or something.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Yeah, double basses all the way, although all my recordings are on either minidisc or cassette
What's stopping you plugging your minidisc player into your computer and recording off it? I use Rip Vinyl to do just that (other solutions are available).
Well they're also about 90 miles away, which I suppose is the more important part.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:all my recordings are on either minidisc or cassette [...] they're also about 90 miles away
Do you find that improves the listening experience? 8-)

I keep meaning to upgrade the music page on my site to include more MP3s; when I created it, broadband internet was still a rarity so it's mostly just MIDI stuff. However, Molly's Theme is quite a nice recording if you're into all that Celtic schmaltz.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Just dug out an MP3 that I haven't previously released online at all. There's a MIDI on my site called The Road to Upton which I have a sneaking affection for - it was part of a suite of music I composed for a very enjoyable stage production of Henry Fielding's Tom Jones about ten years ago, and was written to accompany a chaotic chase sequence in the show so it has a jaunty 6/8 rhythm.

A while later there was a discussion on an intranet forum at work about digital synth modules :ugeek: and one particular colleague was extolling the virtues of his (I think) Yahama plug-in which could produce particularly lush instrumental sounds. I emailed the above MIDI to him and asked if he could send me a recording of what it sounded like played through his synth module. I was a bit taken aback by the result as he'd actually gone further than I'd asked and done a bit of a remix job, removing in the process the fast chord riff which (to me) was an integral part of the composition. But the solo flute and sax sounds are certainly pleasant and, listening to it again after nine years or so, I quite like it. Anyway, for the first time in public, here it is - The Road to Upton, by Phil Reynolds, remixed by Jeremy Yardley.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Loving your MIDIs Phil. I used to make MIDIs all the time, might post a few up later.

This is my electronic music project: http://www.myspace.com/badfuture - if you're into µ-Ziq, mum or Warp Records stuff you might like it. Too bad myspace messes up the sound quality loads.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:This is my electronic music project: http://www.myspace.com/badfuture - if you're into µ-Ziq, mum or Warp Records stuff you might like it.
Needless to say none of those points of reference meant anything to me so I had a listen anyway - some nice stuff there. I think sparkl is my favourite - it has a pleasantly retro sound to it that reminds me a little of Patrick Moraz.

I was amused while listening to ema the mouse runs away to notice a 'Lyrics' link appear which, when I clicked on it, popped up a window containing simply the word 'shite'.

Glad you like my MIDIs Ben, but I really must get around to uploading the original recordings with, you know, like, proper instruments and shit.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ben Hunter wrote:This is my electronic music project: http://www.myspace.com/badfuture - if you're into µ-Ziq, mum or Warp Records stuff you might like it. Too bad myspace messes up the sound quality loads.
Your stuff's ace, Ben, especially 'kobe crash'. Aside from the six myspace tracks, is there any more sleepybeat online?

While I'm here, I will of course also take this opportunity to pimp Susan (and earlier stuff).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:This is my electronic music project: http://www.myspace.com/badfuture - if you're into µ-Ziq, mum or Warp Records stuff you might like it. Too bad myspace messes up the sound quality loads.
Your stuff's ace, Ben, especially 'kobe crash'. Aside from the six myspace tracks, is there any more sleepybeat online?

While I'm here, I will of course also take this opportunity to pimp Susan (and earlier stuff).
I liked it too. More please.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Double bass pwn 8-)
Doubtless by now you have all forgotten this post in which I urged Kai to show us the composition that his double bass teacher named after him. Anyway, Kai has now sent me the original sheet music, which I've transcribed into glorious MIDIness for your listening pleasure. Ladies and gentlemen: I give you Laddiman's Cake Walk by James Cruttenden. It's really rather good.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Piano, violin and vocal (with a bit of guitar thrown in). No files to share, but this is a pic of me doing Pirates of Penzance, playing Kate. I'm the one on the left. They wouldn't let me keep the frock :P :lol:

I might see if I can dig out some of our old band demos - I do a great Jump :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

I am not a musician officially (though I do play the guitar a bit, and occasionally a djembe or two), though I am a performance poet. Does that count? I'm usually on the bill with musicians, so I think it does.

Not got any audio (in the pipeline) though there are a couple of (oldish) video clips on YouTube if you search on my name - the same clips are also on my MySpaz page - http://www.myspace.com/nickboldock

Having said I'm not a musician, I have on more than one occasion popped the odd song into my set, though not recently. (The last time, I believe, was when I had a guest guitarist and we performed a "punk hymn" - 'Stand Up Stand Up For Tony', sung to the tune of the popular hymn - in which I intimated that Tony Blair was maybe just a little bit dishonest).

EDIT - I probably should point out that neither of the YouTube clips are suitable for the workplace, and neither are they particularly suitable for watching in the company of small people.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Just a couple of samples, here and here that I did for the computer game Locomotion. I got the gig as I play badminton with the composer & producer of the music, Allister Brimble. Sadly the game wasn't as popular as its predecessor Transport Tycoon, which sold several million copies worldwide.

Apologies to Innis for my shameless rip-off of his avatar.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Brian Moore wrote:Just a couple of samples, here and here that I did for the computer game Locomotion. I got the gig as I play badminton with the composer & producer of the music, Allister Brimble. Sadly the game wasn't as popular as its predecessor Transport Tycoon, which sold several million copies worldwide.

Apologies to Innis for my shameless rip-off of his avatar.
Did somebody say Transportty 'Coon?

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:Did somebody say Transportty 'Coon?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I do loads of stuff. Mostly minimalisty ambient pap, but none of it is hosted online because I don't know anywhere that hosts music.
But still, here's a little something I threw together for a friend. It's a 4 minute piano solo epic romp based on the windows shut down theme. He's since set it as his system sound for shutting down so I'm quite pleased. It has a number of duff notes and was mostly improvised so please don't judge me XD
http://rapidshare.com/files/270279503/windows.wav.html

Edit: An another thing, I play lots and lots of stuff by ear and am decent at transcribing. If anyone wants anything transcribed I can do it for you if you want.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I managed to host something online!!!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/645026930baef6d2/

Countdown theme on piano. :D
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Kieran Child wrote:... here's a little something I threw together for a friend.
Thanks for that Kieran. I enjoyed it. I like the mood(s) you created and it was played with nice feeling.
Good work.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Nice stuff Kieran.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

cheers guys.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Bumping an old thread to let interested parties (I can think of erm, at least two) know that Susan 2 is totally available and out there, the slut. It all seems to work this end but let me know if there's any duff links as I always seem to inadvertently fuck something up whenever I update the site.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

JimBentley wrote:Bumping an old thread to let interested parties (I can think of erm, at least two) know that Susan 2 is totally available and out there, the slut. It all seems to work this end but let me know if there's any duff links as I always seem to inadvertently fuck something up whenever I update the site.
Wow, this is ace. Only on the first song so far. The mix of dirty guitar and electronic drums reminds me of post-Ultravisitor Squarepusher stuff.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just thought this should be bumped again seeing as there's another music thread. I've actually just got emailed a song I recorded at my mates place on Tuesday, so if I get a chance later I'll chuck it up somewhere. I couldn't be arsed dealing with my myspace again and I don't want to go setting up anything proper yet either, is there somewhere simple I can just upload it so it can be heard? It's only a rough quick job anyway.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson wrote:I've actually just got emailed a song
Do the grammar police work on Sundays?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ben Hunter wrote:Loving your MIDIs Phil. I used to make MIDIs all the time, might post a few up later.

This is my electronic music project: http://www.myspace.com/badfuture - if you're into µ-Ziq, mum or Warp Records stuff you might like it. Too bad myspace messes up the sound quality loads.
Good hangover music.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Andy Wilson wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Loving your MIDIs Phil. I used to make MIDIs all the time, might post a few up later.

Good hangover music.
It's pretty old now, I put all my new stuff here http://www.soundcloud.com/solderboy
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I made a soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/andycork

I haven't really been recording any music at home, but I intend to start doing it a lot more. Been mainly involved with other folks music and quietly playing away at home (or loudly when my housemates are out). Anyway, I did something earlier and figured i'd stick it on the cloud.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Andy Wilson wrote:I made a soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/andycork

I haven't really been recording any music at home, but I intend to start doing it a lot more. Been mainly involved with other folks music and quietly playing away at home (or loudly when my housemates are out). Anyway, I did something earlier and figured i'd stick it on the cloud.
Nice one Andy.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Wow Andy, really nice. I'd be interested to know what instruments/software etc you used to put that together.

I recently came across an old cassette recording of the very first practice session I had with my short lived band 'B-Side Overload'. Most of it's just us mucking about, but we did manage to stop giggling/drinking for long enough to record this, which fans of 1970s prog rock may recognise. I remember us all being quite startled at the time by how much like the original it sounded (apart from the fact that we stop just before it goes into the really complicated twiddly bit), and even now I still get a buzz out of the moment when the bass and drums kick in. Anyway, yeah, me on piano, Dave Chamberlain on flute and Barry Gidden on bass guitar and MIDI drums.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

The only instrument I used on that was a ukulele i think. Two layers of it. I recorded it simply on garageband on my mac, using the pinhole mic for the uke and the voices and the keyboard to do a bit of midi. I put a simple bit of synth bass on there and then changed it to higher pitch to do that kind of squiggly noise pitch bend thing, which i thought sounded nice and reminded me of David Kitt, who's 'Big Romance' I dug out for the first time in ages the other day after seeing him playing with 'Somadrone' down town. I put the little bit of drums down on the keyboard as well. I've been planning to upgrade my software and get a proper interface for ages, but I thought this sounded alright actually and I'm in the mood to record more stuff so I think I'll probably do a bit more of this in the near future.