Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jason Larsen »

Welcome, Julie and Gregor!

Julie, I remember you had one particularly easy numbers game during your run and I appreciated how modest you were when you found the solution. You didn't brag.

I hope you both enjoy posting here!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:Welcome, Julie and Gregor!

Julie, I remember you had one particularly easy numbers game during your run and I appreciated how modest you were when you found the solution. You didn't brag.

I hope you both enjoy posting here!
Why would she brag about spotting an easy numbers game?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

There's no reason, Kirk.

I think I just like her style.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Julie Russell wrote:Hi all :D Been lurking for a while, about time I said hello. I appeared in series 60 heats back in April and had a whale of a time. After 3 wins, I was defeated by a spectacular performance from Hamish Williamson, who scored a debut record of 134.

Loving the forum, loving Apterous and above all loving Countdown.

Julie
Hiya again Julie - you might remember gubbing me for your third win.
All the best
Davy
sarah white

Post by sarah white »

Hello everyone.

It isn't easy to think of things to put here!

From Nottinghamshire, am a chef, start uni in Sept, doing Biology. Have two daughters. Like Scrabble too. Music, documentaries, Radio 4, just discovered how cool it is to grow your own veggies in a small plot.

Would like to do Countdown for real one day, but need lots more practice (as anyone playing me will confirm!)

I sound so boring I am making myself yawn now, so i will leave it at that.

Looking forward to playing some fab games here, and making some new acquaintances.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
me on that!
Oops
A few weeks ago now but that deserves recognition Kai :D :D :D
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Hello Sarah.
Welcome to you, and I hope you enjoy it.
(We may see you on the programme one day.)
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Hi Sarah, that's not boring at all! In fact, you remind me of a woman with the same first name and hairstyle who I used to work for back in Oz. Can't be the same person, surely?!!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

sarah white wrote:From Nottinghamshire ... Like Scrabble too.

You're definitely in the right place for it then. :) Hope you enjoy your stay on the forums!
sarah white

Post by sarah white »

I wish it had been me - then i could sya i had been to Ozland - alas, it wasn't/isn't.

Thanks for the welcome guys - and i will be sticking around - this is so much more fun than internet scrabble!

x
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Welcome Sarah! :)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Hi everyone..

I'm Stefan, i'm 40 and a longtime fan of Countdown who has only really gotten to see much of it recently as for 20+ yrs i was in work until 6pm and didn't get the chance to see it.

Now i arrive home at anywhere between 3.30 - 4.15 so with the advent of C4 +1 i can watch, which is great.

I had posted a welcome note in the wrong area, so thanks for pointing me to the right section.

I hope to catch up with who's who and look forward to playing all & sundry online and losing more than i win for sure...

I have limited access to the 'net at the moment and and typing this on my Wii browser, which is ok but far from fully functional.

Hobbies etc: Music (wide ranging tastes from 80's-Classical), Chess which i enjoy but don't play as often as i'd like, Scrabble- Ditto, Video games & just enjoying my life & those who know me.

Hope to chat with you all at some point.

Stef

P.S i can't believe that so many of the Octochamps/Past champs are here----it's blowing my mind a bit :D
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Welcome Stefan.
I do hope you enjoy it here.
You may surprise yourself and have some close tussles with past octochamps.
Good wishes
pablo

Post by pablo »

Hi,

Hello everyone!! :)

I've just had my account activated. Have played a few games online with mixed success!!

Looking forward to a few more!!

:)
pablo
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

pablo wrote:Hello everyone!! :)
:shock:

Turn around and run pablo, for the love of god, have you not heard what we're like?

I mean, welcome, I hope you enjoy it here :)
Andy Kravis

Post by Andy Kravis »

Hi all,

I've been posting for a while in the apterous thread but never got around to posting here. I'm Andy, and I just graduated from the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. I found out Countdown through YouTube videos (ah, the magic of the Internet) and joined apterous not long after. Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask!

- AK
Sally Taylor

Post by Sally Taylor »

Hi, my name is Sally, I'm 24 and a nursery nurse from Aldershot in Hampshire. I am going back to college in September to begin a four year course, the latter two would involve me training to become a primary school teacher.

I have only been watching Countdown religiously since the beginning of the Stelling era. I have been a fan of Jeff and watching his Soccer Saturday show for around 8 years now. It's been nice seeing a different side to him on Countdown.

Although I only started watching the show every day at the beginning of the year I had seen a few episodes here and there before Jeff took over. Thanks to You Tube I have been able to see the great Richard Whiteley at work and have begun to appreciate what a legend he was.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to see Countdown be recorded on 16th June at Manchester and it was an amazing experience. I enjoyed every minute and hope to go again soon. I won't ever be good enough to appear as a contestant but I enjoy playing along at home. I have been looking through some old posts and it was nice to recognise some contestants who post here. I especially enjoyed the Champion of Champions episodes at the beginning of the year, in particular appearances made by Charlie Reams, Jon Corby (I loved his 'Unbelivable Jeff' line and think that he lives near me) and Kai. I also enjoyed later appearances made by Neil Zussman and Kirk Bevins.

Hobbies: Following Aldershot Town of League two, going to concerts, spending time on the computer and going to the cinema etc.

I think I shall primarily be a lurker but may ocasionally post. :)

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. :oops:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sally Taylor wrote:Hi, my name is Sally, I'm 24 and a nursery nurse from Aldershot in Hampshire. I am going back to college in September to begin a four year course, the latter two would involve me training to become a primary school teacher.

I have only been watching Countdown religiously since the beginning of the Stelling era. I have been a fan of Jeff and watching his Soccer Saturday show for around 8 years now. It's been nice seeing a different side to him on Countdown.

Although I only started watching the show every day at the beginning of the year I had seen a few episodes here and there before Jeff took over. Thanks to You Tube I have been able to see the great Richard Whiteley at work and have begun to appreciate what a legend he was.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to see Countdown be recorded on 16th June at Manchester and it was an amazing experience. I enjoyed every minute and hope to go again soon. I won't ever be good enough to appear as a contestant but I enjoy playing along at home. I have been looking through some old posts and it was nice to recognise some contestants who post here. I especially enjoyed the Champion of Champions episodes at the beginning of the year, in particular appearances made by Charlie Reams, Jon Corby (I loved his 'Unbelivable Jeff' line and think that he lives near me) and Kai. I also enjoyed later appearances made by Neil Zussman and Kirk Bevins.

Hobbies: Following Aldershot Town of League two, going to concerts, spending time on the computer and going to the cinema etc.

I think I shall primarily be a lurker but may ocasionally post. :)

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. :oops:
I like you.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I have an old friend who I've fancied for quite some time. Her name is Sally Taylor. My heart skipped a beat for a moment. :D
Sally Taylor

Post by Sally Taylor »

Sorry, Sally Taylor isn't the most uncommon of names. :)

And thanks Charlie.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I like her too. Nice first post - always is when you mention Reams and myself in your opening paragraphs. Welcome.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I like her too. Nice first post - always is when you mention Reams and myself in your opening paragraphs. Welcome.
ITYM "Reams and me". HTH.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sally Taylor wrote: Jon Corby (I loved his 'Unbelivable Jeff' line and think that he lives near me)
Hi Sally Image

Yup, we're in neighbouring towns (3-1 :mrgreen: ). Hope you enjoy your time here :)
Sally Taylor

Post by Sally Taylor »

Hi Jon

We don't talk about the 3-1 in my house ;)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Sally Taylor wrote:I was lucky enough to get tickets to see Countdown be recorded on 16th June at Manchester and it was an amazing experience. I enjoyed every minute and hope to go again soon. I won't ever be good enough to appear as a contestant but I enjoy playing along at home.
Welcome, Sally.Myself, Dinos, Howard and James Robinson were all in the studios that same day.

And never say never. Keep practising and who knows, you may be appearing on the screen yourself some day.
Sally Taylor

Post by Sally Taylor »

Hi Rich.

James was sat in front of me. I remembered him from his appearances on the show.

I love playing along whilst watching at home so who knows, but after watching 7 months worth of Countdown I have only got the conundrum 6 or 7 times. :D
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Sally Taylor wrote:Hi Rich.

James was sat in front of me. I remembered him from his appearances on the show.

I love playing along whilst watching at home so who knows, but after watching 7 months worth of Countdown I have only got the conundrum 6 or 7 times. :D
That sounds familiar.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Sally Taylor wrote:Hi Rich.

That sounds familiar.
If i got the conundrum 6 or 7 times in seven months, that would be a big improvement on my game!
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

Er... hello there then.

First post.

Just discovered Apterous a couple of days ago... the best thing since sliced bread or what?!

I was on Countdown way back in the dark ages, series 37 I think (sometime around 1997). Won one, lost one, should have won more but badly let myself down. :cry:

Still, at least I won one, so mission accomplished in a way I guess...

Anyway - HELLO.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Nick Boldock wrote:Er... hello there then.

First post.

Just discovered Apterous a couple of days ago... the best thing since sliced bread or what?!
Hi Nick - welcome. Enjoyed the game against you the other day. I'm sure we'll have a few other matches in future.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

Yes, Sally, a welcome from me too, but please don't say, "James was sat in front of me" - an all too common grammatical error these days. You should say, "James was sitting in front of me". Sorry to be pedantic, but someone has to be!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Percy Round wrote:Sorry to be pedantic, but someone has to be!
Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not true.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Percy Round wrote:Sorry to be pedantic, but someone has to be!
Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not true.
Yeah. In that we already have sometwentythree who do that as opposed to someone.
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

I wish I knew what your second sentence means, Matt. ". . . as opposed to someone." Which someone? Someone who what? I think someone does have to be pedantic in order to try to reverse the worsening standards in the use of English - indicative of worsening standards in education as a whole and in social behaviour and family life. No respect for the law or for other people.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Percy Round wrote:I wish I knew what your second sentence means, Matt. ". . . as opposed to someone." Which someone? Someone who what? I think someone does have to be pedantic in order to try to reverse the worsening standards in the use of English - indicative of worsening standards in education as a whole and in social behaviour and family life. No respect for the law or for other people.
Erm, it made sense to me.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Percy Round wrote:I wish I knew what your second sentence means, Matt. ". . . as opposed to someone." Which someone? Someone who what? I think someone does have to be pedantic in order to try to reverse the worsening standards in the use of English - indicative of worsening standards in education as a whole and in social behaviour and family life. No respect for the law or for other people.
:lol:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Can't be forgetting idiomatic usage now...

Makes my blood boil!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Percy Round wrote:No respect for the law or for other people.
That isn't a sentence. If you're going to try and be a grammar Nazi at least do it properly. :(
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

Entschuldigen Sie bitte, Michael ." . . .family life, with no respect for the law . . . " Is that better?
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

I ssume, Michael, that you have accepted my tongue-in-cheek apology for not putting the words that offended you into a sentence. No, it's not a sentence - it's a stand-alone phrase of which there are numerous examples in English. Here are a few that spring to mind. "Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning", "Lovely day: not a cloud in the sky", "Wow! Magnificent view", "Good grief! Not another of those grammar Nazis!" Perhaps not perfect style, but acceptable, don't you think? Perhaps Charlie Reams will stop laughing now, although he seems to have deleted his post with the smiley in it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Percy Round wrote:I ssume, Michael, that you have accepted my tongue-in-cheek apology for not putting the words that offended you into a sentence. No, it's not a sentence - it's a stand-alone phrase of which there are numerous examples in English. Here are a few that spring to mind. "Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning", "Lovely day: not a cloud in the sky", "Wow! Magnificent view", "Good grief! Not another of those grammar Nazis!" Perhaps not perfect style, but acceptable, don't you think? Perhaps Charlie Reams will stop laughing now, although he seems to have deleted his post with the smiley in it.
I don't think it was the grammar that amused Charlie..
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Percy Round wrote:I ssume
:lol:
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

What did amuse you, then, Charlie? Michael thinks it wasn't the grammar.
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

Oh, no, it wasn't MIchael - it was Jon. Sorry
Andrew Herbertson
Rookie

Post by Andrew Herbertson »

Hey all

Long time viewer on and off since early 90s more on than off and have become an average player in that time lacking the consistancy of a good player.
Would love to go on the show but would probably end up being octo champ fodder if good enough to get that far.
Think the shows really come back to form since Jeff took over,a natural heir to king Richard. Des L didn't seem to care what was going on and Des O didn't seem to know what was going on. Only joking Deses.
About me then live in Manchester have 2 children with partner Elaine been together over half our lives (im 38 she 40). Sport and music my main things esp footy (stockport fan) cricket golf and darts also enjoy a day at the races. Music wise suppose its mainly indie but am open to anything good,gig going career still going but not as frequent as it was.Do a bit of walking,especially like a canal walk coz its flat and never to far away from a pub and i do like a pint of real ale.

see you on apterous where you'll probably beat me if you haven't already
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Welcome Andrew.
Descriptive opening post.
I hope you enjoy being on this forum.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

I would like to share my good news with this forum- I have passed my Countdown audition and will actually be on the show!
Handy tips from previous contestants welcomed!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

AnnieHall wrote:I would like to share my good news with this forum- I have passed my Countdown audition and will actually be on the show!
Handy tips from previous contestants welcomed!
Congratulations Annie! Look forward to seeing someone else who posts on here.
Do you look as much like Diane Keaton as you seem?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Charlie Reams wrote:Hello and welcome to the new C4Countdown forum! It's been a long time coming but we hope you'll agree that it's worth the wait.

Perhaps a predictable-but-useful way to open the new forum would be to invite everyone to sign up (real names please!), say "Hi", and let us know who you are. I'm Charlie Reams (lots of you will know me as Soo) and I'm a final year undergraduate at Cambridge University. I've been watching Countdown for about 5 years and will be applying... some time. I run The Countdown Corral and I also set-up the Countdown Wiki. My favourite colour is horse.

Over to you.
You sound pretty candles, blud.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Hello and welcome to the new C4Countdown forum! It's been a long time coming but we hope you'll agree that it's worth the wait.

Perhaps a predictable-but-useful way to open the new forum would be to invite everyone to sign up (real names please!), say "Hi", and let us know who you are. I'm Charlie Reams (lots of you will know me as Soo) and I'm a final year undergraduate at Cambridge University. I've been watching Countdown for about 5 years and will be applying... some time. I run The Countdown Corral and I also set-up the Countdown Wiki. My favourite colour is horse.

Over to you.
Well that just pissed on my fire :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Over to you.
Poine-volante withdrawn.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

What subject are you reading, Charlie?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Percy Round wrote:What subject are you reading, Charlie?
I graduated since that was written, but I was reading Computer Science. I'm currently doing a PhD in same.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:You sound pretty candles, blud.
Pointe-volante withdrawn.
:cry:
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

In that case, Charlie, I presume you graduated with a First. Yes?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Percy Round wrote:In that case, Charlie, I presume you graduated with a First. Yes?
Yes. (Is there a punchline coming?)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

First.

Edit: Bugger, 1316 posts too late.
Percy Round

Post by Percy Round »

No punch line from me, Charlie, just congratulations!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Percy Round wrote:No punch line from me, Charlie, just congratulations!
Thanks very much!
Karin Peirce

Post by Karin Peirce »

Hi all - I'm Karin - live in Salisbury Wilts and will properly introduce myself sometime over the next days. I actually joined nearly 2 months ago but had to suddenly travel to Holland (where Í'm from originally) as my mother is quite ill and am currently looking after her. As said - look forward to have a good nose around on the website as I haven't seen Countdown for ages and am displaying severe withdrawl symptoms! Now got laptop so I can at least try to catch up a bit by coming here. See you later :D