Jim'll Fix It

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Jim'll Fix It

Post by Sue Sanders »

For those of you old enough to remember...What unfulfilled desire did YOU/ would you write to 'Jim'l Fix It' about??

I was in Ireland last week and I finally got to milk a cow by hand.

I can die happy now.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Re: Jim'll Fix It

Post by Andy Thomson »

I was too old for Jim'll Fix It, even when it was on!!! :oops: :lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I wrote and asked to kiss Thereza Bazar from Dollar :? I was about 6. My mum even let me post the letter for god's sake.

I also asked for a tour of (where they made) Ceefax.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:I wrote and asked to kiss Thereza Bazar from Dollar :? I was about 6. My mum even let me post the letter for god's sake.

I also asked for a tour of (where they made) Ceefax.
You could try writing to her now - I reckon she'd be up for it (And I've heard she now runs the Ceefax factory)
Fool's top.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Did 'Jim'll Fix It' ever get brought back in any guise? I thought I heard some rumours a few years back...? It's such a solid concept for a kids show it's hard to believe it's not around in some form or another? Or are there equivalents which I'm forgetting about?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:Did 'Jim'll Fix It' ever get brought back in any guise? I thought I heard some rumours a few years back...? It's such a solid concept for a kids show it's hard to believe it's not around in some form or another? Or are there equivalents which I'm forgetting about?

Yeah, it rings a bell that there was talk about bringing it back but it wouldn't work for those of us who remember the original - like Dick and Dom doing Ask the Family. Anyway - who could they get who would have that slight child catcher/kiddy stalker menace of the Savmeister?

My fave Savmeister story is that he once came third in a Jimmy Saville 'lookilikey' competition.

Now then, now then, jewellry, jewellry.
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Looking at the amount of Obese children in the country how about Gym'll fix it
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

There was a show in 1997-2000 with Gaby Roslin, which was more or less a Jim'll Fix it remake. http://www.ukgameshows.com/page/index.p ... r_You_Want

Edit: Haha well done Marc.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote: My fave Savmeister story is that he once came third in a Jimmy Saville 'lookilikey' competition.
This is a true story about Charlie Chaplin, which I suspect has (like the rib removal legend) been repurposed for many later celebrities.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jon Corby wrote:Did 'Jim'll Fix It' ever get brought back in any guise? I thought I heard some rumours a few years back...? It's such a solid concept for a kids show it's hard to believe it's not around in some form or another? Or are there equivalents which I'm forgetting about?
There've been a few that shared the concept. The ones I know about were presented by Gabby Roslin and another was presented by Ian Wright.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Hunter wrote:
There've been a few that shared the concept. The ones I know about were presented by Gabby Roslin and another was presented by Ian Wright.
In 2007, it was brought back on UKTV Gold as something like "Jim'll Fix It Strikes Again", which was hosted by Sir Jimmy. I believe they got some of the people who were on it during its heyday and let them recreate their wishes again.

One of them was allowing the Scouts on the rollercoaster again! :lol: :D
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ben Hunter wrote:
But isn't his real name...Ian Wright Wright Wright?
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
My fave Savmeister story is that he once came third in a Jimmy Saville 'lookilikey' competition.

Now then, now then, jewellry, jewellry.
I can well believe that, he is acomplete caricature of himself. Met him once at the cricket, quite amusing, too much chest hair though!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

BTW, apart from Jon C confessing his 6 year old self's desire to snog the lollipop bimbo from Dollar, no-one has answered the question. :roll:
Fool's top.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Sue Sanders wrote:BTW, apart from Jon C confessing his 6 year old self's desire to snog the lollipop bimbo from Dollar, no-one has answered the question. :roll:
I wrote in asking to have the ad for Green Giant sweetcorn taken off the air because I was terrified of the Green Giant. Every time I hear that "Ho-ho-ho (Green Giant)" I soil myself.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:BTW, apart from Jon C confessing his 6 year old self's desire to snog the lollipop bimbo from Dollar, no-one has answered the question. :roll:
Umm . . . okay, if I could write to him I'd probably ask to go up in a hot air balloon. It's something I've always wanted to do, but still not got around to yet.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Umm . . . okay, if I could write to him I'd probably ask to go up in a hot air balloon. It's something I've always wanted to do, but still not got around to yet.
Hmm. I think, Dezzy, that the criteria for having your dream selected for the programme would be it's not something that your friends could just club together to buy for a 40th birthday present ;)
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:Hmm. I think, Dezzy, that the criteria for having your dream selected for the programme would be it's not something that your friends could just club together to buy for a 40th birthday present ;)
Oh right - I must be too young to remember the concept properly. :D
Maybe not if you're implying I'm nearly 40 though . . .
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Hmm. I think, Dezzy, that the criteria for having your dream selected for the programme would be it's not something that your friends could just club together to buy for a 40th birthday present ;)
Oh right - I must be too young to remember the concept properly. :D
Maybe not if you're implying I'm nearly 40 though . . .
You're 32 Dez; your boyish charm has not gone by unnoticed!

;)
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

The co-creator and producer of Jim'll Fix It was a contestant on Countdown. Yes.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:The co-creator and producer of Jim'll Fix It was a contestant on Countdown. Yes.
Ooh. I never realised you could create a YouTube link that would jump straight to a specific number of seconds into the clip. (A shame that you've linked to Joyce's intro rather than Roger's, but I worked out what was going on eventually.)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I'm losing my virginity to a few new computing techniques this week.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:I'm losing my virginity to a few new computing techniques this week.
Hope you enjoy the hard drive with an extended RAM. 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:The co-creator and producer of Jim'll Fix It was a contestant on Countdown. Yes.
Ooh. I never realised you could create a YouTube link that would jump straight to a specific number of seconds into the clip. (A shame that you've linked to Joyce's intro rather than Roger's, but I worked out what was going on eventually.)
Ballsacks, it didn't work for me. I even let the clip load until 2:37 (presuming that's what the t=157 was marking) had pre-loaded but it didn't jump straight to it even then. Shame as I didn't know you could do this either and that'd be quite sexy.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

It does work for some of us though.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I just tried changing the number at the end of my link from 157 to 113, and it went straight into the bit where he introduced Roger as a TV producer then. :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah that is funky. I run a Greasemonkey script called YouTube HD Ultimate and it turns out that that was what was causing the conflict. Hopefully they'll fix the issue for the next version.