Apterous Etiquette

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Apterous Etiquette

Post by Philip Jarvis »

My daughter Emily played this game earlier today against Chris Maudsley:

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=95365

The following interchange occurred on Aptochat after he left the game at round 14:

2009-07-20 15:58:57 Chris Maudsley: I HATE THIS GAME. I NEVER WIN, AND I WISH THAT I'D NEVER DISCOVERED THIS SITE

Chris then returned for the conundrum.

2009-07-20 15:58:59 Chris Maudsley is playing Emily Jarvis.

Emily got the conundrum.

2009-07-20 15:59:44 Emily Jarvis beat Chris Maudsley, 101-70.
2009-07-20 16:00:23 Emily Jarvis: gandiseeg?

2009-07-20 16:00:33 Chris Maudsley: IT'S ALRIGHT FOR YOU ISN'T IT. YESTERDAY MY RATING WAS 1230, NOW LOOK AT IT, LOOK AT IT!

2009-07-20 16:00:45 Emily Jarvis: i'm only 16.

2009-07-20 16:00:49 Chris Maudsley left the room.

Does Chris normally sulk like this?
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Official Thread of Brag

Post by JimBentley »

Philip Jarvis wrote:2009-07-20 16:00:33 Chris Maudsley: IT'S ALRIGHT FOR YOU ISN'T IT. YESTERDAY MY RATING WAS 1230, NOW LOOK AT IT, LOOK AT IT!

2009-07-20 16:00:45 Emily Jarvis: i'm only 16.
2009-07-20 16:00:49 Chris Maudsley left the room.

Does Chris normally sulk like this?
I've never actually seen an outburst like this from him before, but then I'm not on apterous all the time. To be honest, whenever I've played him, he doesn't ever say very much (which is fine, some people are just quiet) and he rarely hangs around after the conundrum, so I often find myself saying "good game" or whatever to an empty room. I think the comment about his rating says it all, really, if he cares so much about inconsequential shit like that, he's probably not playing the game in the spirit intended. It's a bit of fun, it's not life or death stuff.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

On the other hand, that was hardly the most offensive 'sulk' I've seen on apterous by a massive distance.
I find the key to a respectful sulk is to keep it mostly internal :)

Also, you should never, ever question someone playing GANDISEEG.

Good brag though, well played Emily.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Matt Morrison wrote:Also, you should never, ever question someone playing GANDISEEG.

Good brag though, well played Emily.
Chris didn't actually declare GANDISEEG. That was Emily's joke afterwards.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

A similar outburst can be seen here:

http://apterous.org/chatlog.php?log=1248035505816
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Innis Carson wrote:A similar outburst can be seen here:

http://apterous.org/chatlog.php?log=1248035505816
Best bit was Niall getting called Nail. Good typo.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've had problems with this guy before, he just seems to be a bit of an oddity. But srsly why is this is in the thread of brag?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Wow, this Chris Maudsley guy is hilarious. How old is he?

Also, why did Emily say 'i'm only 16.'? How was that relevant?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote: Also, why did Emily say 'i'm only 16.'? How was that relevant?
My sister is 16 and she'd be totally intimidated if some random guy started shouting at her. It's easy to forget how hardened to that kind of stupidity you become after a few years of the Internet.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Charlie Reams wrote: But srsly why is this is in the thread of brag?
I'm not too familiar with the Apterous part of the forum. When Emily told me about her win, she was really chuffed and wanted to brag about it. This seemed the logical place. I didn't think it was appropriate to start a new thread.

Although a bit shocked, Emily thought his reaction was hilarious and made a couple of comments re Gandiseeg and her age to wind him up further. Apparently, similar comments were made by Chris on the private chat throughout the game.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

So you try and wind someone up, but also get annoyed at their being wound up? Seems a little odd.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Re: Apterous Etiquette

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'm jealous - he never says a word to me :lol: . I chose to think his chat was broken (rather than plain pig-ignorant) :twisted: . Still, lesson number 1 - lose graciously. Everyone loses from time to time. Failing that, cut down on the caffeine / speed / coke :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Matt Morrison wrote:So you try and wind someone up, but also get annoyed at their being wound up? Seems a little odd.
Not sure where you get the "annoyed" bit from Matt. Having said that, Emily was probably annoyed when Chris abandoned the game after round 14. However, to his credit, Chris came straight back in after his initial rant to finish the conundrum.

This brings me on to a point concerning etiquette which does get me annoyed. Since recently starting playing on Apterous, there have been several times when I have been winning games and the opponent suddenly leaves the room with no explanation never to reappear (at least not whilst I've been online). After a while, the partly played game disappears.

I was particularly annoyed towards the end of last week when I played somebody called Eric. In round 1, he got a 5 and I got a 9 with LIONHEART (I've got Jimmy Gough to thank for this. I learnt RELATION+H after he got it in one of his games). Anyway, within 5 seconds of my 9 being posted, the other guy disappeared. I'm not too bothered about a potential win not being recorded but I would have liked to see Lionheart amongst my list of 9's. This didn't happen because the game wasn't finished.

I assume Eric was a newbie because I wouldn't expect more established players to intentionally clear off part way through a game.
Last edited by Philip Jarvis on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

He has abandoned a game against me and does generally become a whinging bitch when he is losing - I don't play him anymore. I find it grating since a couple of times I have been dire against him and lost yet I wasn't a wuss about it and congratulated him afterwards.

He is the only apterous player that I simply refuse to play.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

He doesn't whinge at me but he picks his letters extremely slowly.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

He cybers with me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't like the cut of his jib.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

His rant at Emily is quite amusing.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

Flouncing... a very useful 9 letter word
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:Flouncing... a very useful 9 letter word
Indeed...

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 2#r1408632
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

The guy is a prick, he used to cut out of games if he was losing heavily.

However, if you are genuinely offended by what he wrote, then I think you are the one with the bigger problems.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jon Corby wrote:He cybers with me.
Matt Morrison wrote:I don't like the cut of his jib.
You two Clearly have different tastes in the cuttedness of jibs then.

On a more positive note, two people who I'd say have excellent etiquette are Innis Carson and Jim Bentley. There are, of course others, but these two guys are a joy to play :D
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

I'm not quite sure why some people seem to have got the idea that Emily was annoyed or offended at Chris's aptochat outburst. There is nothing in the posts I have made that suggests this.

On the contrary, as I've already stated, Emily found it hilarious at the time and (rightly or wrongly) tried to wind him up further. When Emily told me what had happened, I also found it highly amusing. So much so that I thought I would share Chris's moment of madness with you so that you could all have a good laugh.

Feelings of annoyance or offence were the last thing on the agenda. If Chris ever reads this thread himself, I hope he realises that he had a "classic" moment and that he his also able to have a quiet laugh at himself.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Emily does resort to "I'm only 16" quite easily though, wouldn't you say?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Dent wrote:Emily does resort to "I'm only 16" quite easily though, wouldn't you say?
I'd take it as a chat-up line.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Philip Jarvis wrote: I assume Eric was a newbie because I wouldn't expect more established players to intentionally clear off part way through a game.
As I haven't seen another Eric on apterous, i'm assuming this is a friend of mine, Eric Flynn. I happened to mention the site to him and as he loves the game, he decided to give it a go. I haven't spoken to him in a couple of weeks but i'm bound to see him soon and i'll mention it to him.

I played a few games against him to help him get into it, but i'd guess he's still only played a handful and is getting to grips. It wouldn't surprise me if he had just thrown his hat at it after your 9 Phil, thinking, I can't handle another beating! Not great form i know, but understandable if you're getting whipped in every game and feel like an idiot. Anyway, he's an absolute top bloke, so don't hold it against him, at least he didn't shout at your daughter :)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

By the way Phil, you could make a great poem about etiquette if you based it around a guy who ate a cat. :P
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Philip Jarvis wrote:I assume Eric was a newbie
Haha, Eric Newbie.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Andy Wilson wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote: I assume Eric was a newbie because I wouldn't expect more established players to intentionally clear off part way through a game.
As I haven't seen another Eric on apterous, i'm assuming this is a friend of mine, Eric Flynn.
Thinking about it, I may have subconsciously opened the chat with "Hi Errol gl" at the start of the game.

If I did, that might be another reason why he cleared off.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Is Chris Maudsley the same guy that very nearly beat the Mubeen-DoD-Wainwright-Hurrell team in a numbers attack? In any case, he needs a chill pill or two.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Chris Maudsley is watching you...
Chris Maudsley has stopped watching you.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I reckon that most of us take apterous too seriously from time to time.
Diplomacy probably prevents most of us from voicing exactly how we feel when we lose, and how we take it can depend on how our mood is generally.

Well handled by others in the chat room, I thought, who tried to make light of it.

Chris maybe just types without thinking how this sort of stuff comes across.
Give the guy a break.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

If someone were truly that peeved, they would walk out of the room (possibly slamming the door or exhibiting destructive behaviour against their PC). To take the time to type those feelings (not forgetting to capitalize of course) shows a certain amount of forethought and therefore attention seeking behaviour. This thread demonstrates that it worked admirably, a week later he's still being talked about!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:If someone were truly that peeved, they would walk out of the room (possibly slamming the door or exhibiting destructive behaviour against their PC). To take the time to type those feelings (not forgetting to capitalize of course) shows a certain amount of forethought and therefore attention seeking behaviour. This thread demonstrates that it worked admirably, a week later he's still being talked about!
If there's one thing I hated about school, it was analysis and this makes my blood boil.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

You're quite right Kirk. That was an arrogant and totally unwarranted post. The guy's done nothing to me, what gives me the right to psychoanalyse him? I apologise Chris if you're following this thread.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Maxine Silkstone wrote:You're quite right Kirk. That was an arrogant and totally unwarranted post. The guy's done nothing to me, what gives me the right to psychoanalyse him? I apologise Chris if you're following this thread.
No, you've misunderstood me. You can analyse him all you want but people analysed me on a Middle Child Syndrome documentary for Channel 5 and their analysis was false. They went down the wrong track at first as their logical analysis turned out to be wrong. You can analyse poems all you want saying "the writer wrote this part because he wanted to use imagery..." bla bla and it might be complete twaddle. The channel 5 documentary nailed my hatred of analysis of human behaviour.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Maxine Silkstone wrote:You're quite right Kirk. That was an arrogant and totally unwarranted post. The guy's done nothing to me, what gives me the right to psychoanalyse him? I apologise Chris if you're following this thread.
No, you've misunderstood me. You can analyse him all you want but people analysed me on a Middle Child Syndrome documentary for Channel 5 and their analysis was false. They went down the wrong track at first as their logical analysis turned out to be wrong. You can analyse poems all you want saying "the writer wrote this part because he wanted to use imagery..." bla bla and it might be complete twaddle. The channel 5 documentary nailed my hatred of analysis of human behaviour.
I can tell from the way you write that you don't read any fiction.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:people analysed me on a Middle Child Syndrome documentary for Channel 5 and their analysis was false.
Um, what was the conclusion of their analysis? Just out of interest, like.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:people analysed me on a Middle Child Syndrome documentary for Channel 5 and their analysis was false.
that he's an enigma or something
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
that he's an enigma or something
I watched it, it concluded he was a mentalist who needed a good shunning.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Check the chat archives from 3am this morning, if you want to see a masterclass in how not to behave on the the chatlogs

This is x-rated and not for the faint hearted or easily offended

Oh and when is HE going to be banned?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Marc Meakin wrote:Check the chat archives from 3am this morning, if you want to see a masterclass in how not to behave on the the chatlogs

Who?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Check the chat archives from 3am this morning, if you want to see a masterclass in how not to behave on the the chatlogs

Who?
Andrew Welch
Looks like I'm due a death threat now
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

That's what happens when you feed the trolls.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

It's tragic that Jason Larsen had to witness some of that.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Jon O'Neill wrote:That's what happens when you feed the trolls.
Exactly - they should have ignored him and he would have eventually given up.

Was funny to read though..... :lol:
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Darren Carter wrote:Exactly - they should have ignored him and he would have eventually given up.
In my defence, it was an excellent alternative to sleeping.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Bingo.
All this guy wanted to do was to provoke angry reactions from many people. This is what gives internet trolls their reason to, well, troll. Unfortunately, he achieved exactly that just by throwing pitiful insults and lame threats around.
If he had kicked off and not a single person had acknowledged it - would he have carried on for 2 hours and 14 minutes?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Darren Carter wrote:

Well I only hope Innis saw the funny side too
The most amazing thing was it seemed so unprovoked
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Marc Meakin wrote: Well I only hope Innis saw the funny side too
Yeah, it was pretty amusing, doubt I'd have stayed up that long otherwise. It was provoked by "Don't quit on people mid-game".
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Marc Meakin wrote:Oh and when is HE going to be banned?
Be fair with a rating like that you can't call him a cheat. Psychopath or sociopath maybe, but not a cheat :lol:

I learned some new words there! Every day's a schoolday :lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:

Well I only hope Innis saw the funny side too
I'm sure Innis wasn't bothered what some idiot was spouting. Have to agree that it was brilliant reading, Ben did a stand-up job of winding him up. Would have loved to be have been around when he was kicking off...

(or maybe I was Image)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'm not sure he was expecting anyone to call his troll, or whether he was a troll at all (seemed to me more like a brat desperately trying to win an argument), either way I had loads of fun winding him up :twisted:.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Stuart Arnot wrote:Image
Wanted
For crimes against Apterous
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Is that seriously him? I hope so, because he looks as though he's probably into Dungeons & Dragons. But, I fear that isn't him, because fat people are always jolly.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

They're both called Andrew Welch, and both have a masters in Physics. However, "I have above average looks" suggests otherwise...
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Stuart Arnot wrote:They're both called Andrew Welch, and both have a masters in Physics. However, "I have above average looks" suggests otherwise...
He definitely has an above average Hairline.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'm really concerned about the way chat's going - tonight's threads for 11pm onwards are really unpleasant. I can't help but notice there's been a common surname involved in recent altercations. Name calling, threats of violence, sexually violent insults, and general abusiveness are all completely unnecessary. Not to mention criminal, in some cases. :(

Can everyone please try and be nice to each other? I'm in it for a laugh - maybe learn a bit along the way - but generally just for fun. It so isn't when that's going on in the chat. I like laughing - I'm good at it. Apterous I'm not so good at but I still enjoy it. I'd like to keep it that way ;) Thank you :)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lesley Hines wrote:I'm really concerned about the way chat's going - tonight's threads for 11pm onwards are really unpleasant. I can't help but notice there's been a common surname involved in recent altercations. Name calling, threats of violence, sexually violent insults, and general abusiveness are all completely unnecessary. Not to mention criminal, in some cases. :(

Can everyone please try and be nice to each other? I'm in it for a laugh - maybe learn a bit along the way - but generally just for fun. It so isn't when that's going on in the chat. I like laughing - I'm good at it. Apterous I'm not so good at but I still enjoy it. I'd like to keep it that way ;) Thank you :)
Adam Welch - (probable) brother of known tosspot. Alan Miller - friend of Adam Welch brought in to back up his piss-poor trolling? Seems like it. Very tedious.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles