Jason

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Jason

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Nearly a month since Jason Larsen posted here.
I hope he is alright.
Good wishes Jason.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Jason

Post by Derek Hazell »

I saw him online at the bottom of the screen last night. It's a shame that he and Joseph Bolas have both stopped posting, but at least we have some other old favourites back.

Edit: It said here that Jason would get his new computer on 8th July.
Last edited by Derek Hazell on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

He's told me on Apterous that he'll begin posting again in the near future, once he has his new computer.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Thanks Derek and Innis.
Appreciated.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Innis Carson wrote:He's told me on Apterous that he'll begin posting again in the near future, once he has his new computer.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I played a game on apterous with Jason on Saturday 25th July:

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=98166

He seemed fine, and we had a (not very rivetting, sorry!) chat about the weather in Seattle and Herfordshire in aptochat:

http://apterous.org/chatlog.php?log=1248531178233
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

I haven't been a member for very long but from what I've seen of young Jason's posts, I suspect he might be away learning what irony is. Just saying... ;)
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Thanks for the update Julie.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

When I read Jason Larsen's posts, I always think of the main theme from The Sorcerer's Apprentice, by Paul Dukas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoqzvs0URBM

That's just a small extract from it, but I recommend hearing the whole piece, it's a good bit of music.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I am beginning to think Jason was a synopisis writer for TV Times in a previous life. Looking through the old editions, several of them reminded me of Jason's pearls of wisdom. For example:

"Countdown is the game in which all contestants are honest - because they are only as good as their word."

"'Summer afternoon, Summer afternoon' - according to Henry James they are the two most beautiful words in the English language. Will tonight's two Countdown contestants agree?"

"'There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics'. Countdown's vital statisticians Carol Vorderman and Linda Barret would argue with Mark Twain's arithmetical assessment. Find out why in tonight's programme."

"If words fail you, Countdown isn't the game for you. It's the quiz everyone can play at home - anagrammers and anagrandads as well!"

"Pencils and paper out for Countdown, the 'stationery' game that really moves along"

"Another Countdown - no, it's not a survey of the duck population, but a game in which contestants pit their wits against the clock."
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jason, seeing as you keep starting new threads and then locking them before people have a chance to respond, I'll just say here, that I don't think people would mind you posting critiques about old episodes of Countdown if you have only just had a chance to watch them. People still remember them, and it is interesting to read different opinions.

It is certainly better than posts explaining that you won't be doing them anyway.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Derek Hazell wrote:Jason, seeing as you keep starting new threads and then locking them before people have a chance to respond, I'll just say here, that I don't think people would mind you posting critiques about old episodes of Countdown if you have only just had a chance to watch them.
... and in general, stop locking threads. This is a forum with a bunch of big-mouthed people, and we love to comment. Locking threads is literally at odds with the whole concept of a forum like this one.
T'would be nice if the privilege could be removed altogether so that only administrators can lock 'em.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I don't think people would mind either. Jason is class. I'd love to see his critiques. Also, I found this. Dunno if it would interest Jason.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: T'would be nice if the privilege could be removed altogether so that only administrators can lock 'em.
Done.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Andy Thomson wrote:I haven't been a member for very long but from what I've seen of young Jason's posts, I suspect he might be away learning what irony is. Just saying... ;)
If you and an American were standing in pouring rain, and you said "what lovely weather", he would answer quite seriously, "no! I don't think it is". Irony is lost on them.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

George Jenkins wrote:
Andy Thomson wrote:I haven't been a member for very long but from what I've seen of young Jason's posts, I suspect he might be away learning what irony is. Just saying... ;)
If you and an American were standing in pouring rain, and you said "what lovely weather", he would answer quite seriously, "no! I don't think it is". Irony is lost on them.
What a strikingly original sociological observation.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:What a strikingly original sociological observation.
I remember in year 11 at school, some kid wearing a South Park hoody telling me that Americans don't understand irony. I think the irony of the situation was lost on him.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I asked an American to tell me what 'irony' meant. He looked all smug and said 'ferrous'.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: T'would be nice if the privilege could be removed altogether so that only administrators can lock 'em.
Done.
Didn't seem to work (see this), unless Jason has admin privileges?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Done.
Didn't seem to work (see this), unless Jason has admin privileges?
A-lol Matt, I was just about to say the same thing.

I don't think our mythical moderator would have locked it, as he's usually courteous enough to say why if he feels the need to lock'em.