Pick a number from 1 to 10

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Pick a number from 1 to 10

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Here's a game for you. Your job is to pick an integer from 1 to 10 and PM it to me. And those people who pick the least common answer are the winners. Actually I've thought about this and I think the fairest way to do this is to say that if you pick the least commonly picked number (or any joint least common) or a number that's picked one time more than that (so it's only not the least common because of your vote) then you win. And you have until the end of next Monday (so just over a week) to PM me. There's no prize.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Pick a number from 1 to 10

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Is (pi / phi) ^ 2 classed as an integer?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin's game is excellently nihilistic. I've had a go. But I don't think I'll win.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Is (pi / phi) ^ 2 classed as an integer?
Why would it be?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Is (pi / phi) ^ 2 classed as an integer?
Why would it be?
Cos it's close to 4.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kai Laddiman wrote:Cos it's close to 4.
That's like saying "can pi be classed as an integer? it's close to 3".
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:
That's the Roman way of thinking.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
That's the Roman way of thinking.
And that's why the Circus Maximus was smaller than it was.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Remember you have until midnight at the end of tomorrow (Monday) to PM me with your answer if you still want to enter!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

OK, here are the results:

2. Jim Bentley, Neil Zussman
3. Aaron Higgs
4. Ian Volante, Eoin Monaghan*
5. Jon O'Neill, Innis Carson, Richard Brittain, Clive Brooker
6. Peter Crawley*
8. Dinos Sfyris, Peter Mabey
9. Jon Corby
10. Charlie Reams, Derek Hazell

This means that the winners are Aaron Higgs, Peter Crawley and Jon Corby. And the big losers are Jon O'Neill, Innis Carson, Richard Brittain and Clive Brooker. Looking at the results, with 15 entrants, I think 10 is too many options. Maybe I should have gone for 5 or maybe more people should have entered. I just sort of assumed that every single member of the forum would enter this and a few more would join specifically to do so, including Zef and Harvey Freeman.

*Eoin Monaghan sent me his and Peter Crawley's entry in one message, which seems a little bit cheaty to me since if they collaborate they know they won't pick the same as each other. So maybe I could reduce it to two winners. But then would Ian Volante win as well?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fuck, I meant to enter this, apologies! In all honesty I was completely 50-50 torn between choosing 1 and 10.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Gavin Chipper wrote:maybe more people should have entered. I just sort of assumed that every single member of the forum would enter this and a few more would join specifically to do so, including Zef and Harvey Freeman.
It wouldn't have hurt Chris Wills to have come in just to enter this, seeing as he is one of the most prolific game contestants of all time! I believe he did make one post here once, but the double draw of both Gevin and such a deceptively simple concept should have had him and many others just flocking back!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yay, go me.

This was good fun. I guess it was kinda similar to Joseph's Scattergories thing, except not run by a twat.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: But then would Ian Volante win as well?
Yes. Yes he would.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Interesting result. I wonder how many that voted for 2, 4, 8 and 10 are cursing their co-voter as we speak?
Jon Corby wrote:This was good fun. I guess it was kinda similar to Joseph's Scattergories thing, except not run by a twat.
I guess the only thing to do now is make it run permanently! What shall we pick next, letters of the alphabet?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Interesting result. I wonder how many that voted for 2, 4, 8 and 10 are cursing their co-voter as we speak?
Haha yes. Sorry Jim. If it weren't for me, you'd've been the joint winner of this amazing contest. :)
Would've been more interesting with more entrants though.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I guess the only thing to do now is make it run permanently! What shall we pick next, letters of the alphabet?
Something I've seen done on another site is "pick the lowest positive integer which is not picked by anyone else". That could well work, no matter how many or how few participate.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Howard Somerset wrote:Something I've seen done on another site is "pick the lowest positive integer which is not picked by anyone else". That could well work, no matter how many or how few participate.
You get auctions like that as well don't you, where the lowest unique bid wins the item.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:I guess the only thing to do now is make it run permanently! What shall we pick next, letters of the alphabet?
Something I've seen done on another site is "pick the lowest positive integer which is not picked by anyone else". That could well work, no matter how many or how few participate.
Yeah, that's probably a better game actually.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Peter asked on apterous for anyone to do it and I just did it for him while I was posting, we didn't collaborate apart from that and I am not that bothered about this anyway
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Peter asked on apterous for anyone to do it and I just did it for him while I was posting, we didn't collaborate apart from that and I am not that bothered about this anyway
That's fine - I'm not bothered either. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Something I've seen done on another site is "pick the lowest positive integer which is not picked by anyone else". That could well work, no matter how many or how few participate.
Yeah, that's probably a better game actually.
I was thinking about this but I'm not sure there's a way of controlling properly against the impossibility of a particular person winning like I did with my game. But it's probably better to keep it simple and take it at face value.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Many competitions are using this now. Pay 50p to enter by text to win a car. Lowest unique bid wins.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

The Chessbase (providers of databases for chessplayers) website recently advertised a competition where the many readers were asked to select a number between 1 and 100 where the winner would be the person who got closest to 2/3 of the average of ALL the guesses. They also asked you to give your chess rating. When they published the final report (they ran two of the competitions, having given the winning answer for the first round before the second round, in which they also asked for reasoning), they revealed that there was no correlation between chess ability and ability to make a sensible "guess" at the right number. A surprisingly large number of people gave an "obviously" silly answer... More later if anyone cares/shows the slightest interest.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:The Chessbase (providers of databases for chessplayers) website recently advertised a competition where the many readers were asked to select a number between 1 and 100 where the winner would be the person who got closest to 2/3 of the average of ALL the guesses. They also asked you to give your chess rating. When they published the final report (they ran two of the competitions, having given the winning answer for the first round before the second round, in which they also asked for reasoning), they revealed that there was no correlation between chess ability and ability to make a sensible "guess" at the right number. A surprisingly large number of people gave an "obviously" silly answer... More later if anyone cares/shows the slightest interest.
This interests me. What was the actual answer?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:The Chessbase (providers of databases for chessplayers) website recently advertised a competition where the many readers were asked to select a number between 1 and 100 where the winner would be the person who got closest to 2/3 of the average of ALL the guesses. They also asked you to give your chess rating. When they published the final report (they ran two of the competitions, having given the winning answer for the first round before the second round, in which they also asked for reasoning), they revealed that there was no correlation between chess ability and ability to make a sensible "guess" at the right number. A surprisingly large number of people gave an "obviously" silly answer... More later if anyone cares/shows the slightest interest.
This interests me. What was the actual answer?
You have to guess what the answer was first!

So you're saying they ran it twice and gave the answer of the first one before the second? Well, the "obviously" silly answer might be 66 or 67, which is the highest it could be. I think most people would probably assume that most other people would go under 50 which means that most people should go for 33 or less. But I think people would go lower still. I think people would guess that other people would go for something in the 20s. There would also be some high numbers to push things up though (like the 67s). But my answer for 2/3 of the average is 16.

Then in round 2, it should definitely go lower. 2/3 of 16 is 10.667 but since most people will obviously go lower than the previous answer, virtually everyone will go under 10. I'm going to say 4 - but in real life I might give a better answer since I'd know the first round answer. Maybe you should give us the first round answer and let me guess again!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

In all honesty, I was going to pick 7 :(
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I didn't pick 7 because I thought it was going to be most popular.
So did everyone else :!: :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

We've waited over a month for the answer to this!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I ALWAYS CHOOSE NUMBER FOUR WHEN ASKED TO PICK A NUMBER, AND SO DOES EVERYONE. FACT.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

When picking a number from 1 to 10, most people's initial thought is '7', which makes these results curious.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kieran Child wrote:When picking a number from 1 to 10, most people's initial thought is '7', which makes these results curious.
Perhaps most people thought that as well, so left it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Still no answer? :x
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

^Everyone picked four.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kieran Child wrote:When picking a number from 1 to 10, most people's initial thought is '7', which makes these results curious.
Possibly because it's the only 2-syllabled single digit number. (excluding 0)
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

^ Nice idea. That's why people like saying 'indigo'... supposedly.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I'd assumed it was just because 7 is a 'lucky' number.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kieran Child wrote:^Everyone picked four.
:lol:
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Oops - Thanks to Gavin Chipper for reminding me to give the answer.... I don't visit this site much nowadays.

"The Chessbase (providers of databases for chessplayers) website recently advertised a competition where the many readers were asked to select a number between 1 and 100 where the winner would be the person who got closest to 2/3 of the average of ALL the guesses."

The report is here http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5621 but for those who can't be bothered to read it, the average was about 21.48.

The highest possible answer is about 66 (assuming everyone else in the world said 100). But the usual tactic seemed to be a guess that people would go for about 50, so you would expect an answer of 33 or so. Nothing to do with the competition, but if you ask people to give a numebr between 1 and 100, a popular answer is 37, so on that basis you would expect an answer of 2/3 of 37, i.e. just under 25.

They didn't find much correlation between chess ability and this guessing game...
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kirk Bevins wrote: Possibly because it's the only 2-syllabled single digit number. (excluding 0)
No-ught?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Still no answer? :x
Still waiting.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He said the average was about 21.48 a couple of posts up. So I presume the "best" answer was 2/3 of this. Dunno about the second round though.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I think this should be redone. With a prize of a free aptopseudonym, courtesy of Rhys.