Strumae

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Strumae

Post by Richard Brittain »

This old boy led the 'Never been spotted' list with 246 misses. Well, I've just offered it in a game against James Hurrell, making it one of my 'Unique words' on my Superstats page. The next highest on the list are 'elodea' and 'moreen', which have never been offered despite both being available on 243 occasions, according to the Statland page.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: Strumae

Post by David O'Donnell »

Richard Brittain wrote:This old boy led the 'Never been spotted' list with 246 misses. Well, I've just offered it in a game against James Hurrell, making it one of my 'Unique words' on my Superstats page. The next highest on the list are 'elodea' and 'moreen', which have never been offered despite both being available on 243 occasions, according to the Statland page.
I wouldn't really consider STRUMAE a miss when there is an easy angram of it. ELODEA is a fairly unforgiveable miss though given how high prob it is.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Also that page is a little misleading, because it only counts words when they occur as maxes. I think that's a better thing to track anyway; for example I'm sure there are plenty of valid twos and threes that have never been offered, and it wouldn't be a particularly remarkable achievement to offer them. But the title should probably be updated.

Oh and well done on STRUMAE.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Ah yes, I assumed that was the case because 'matures' must have come up thousands of times, but would usually lead to a higher max.

But yes, David, I didn't mean people had 'missed' it. It's just slightly interesting for novelty value, that I am the first person ever to offer this high probability word. Another one is 'repoints', which has never been offered because people go for 'proteins' and 'pointers'.