Damian/Damien

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Does it matter that Damian's name keeps being spelt wrong on these forums?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Yes, I have the utmost respect for the man as producer of my favourite show, so go out of my way to be right
13%
Yes, I think it is ignorant to spell anybody's name wrongly
70%
No, I deliberately spell it Damien because he reminds me of the devil
No votes
No, I spell it wrong deliberately to try to annoy him
4%
Neither, I secretly like to call him Dame, because I have fantasies of him as a pantomime dame
No votes
Neither, it's the content of the rest of the post that matters
13%

Total votes: 23

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Damian/Damien

Post by Derek Hazell »

There's been several mentions over time about Series Producer Damian Eadie's name being spelt "Damien", but it still continues, so what do you think?

Edited to close poll.
Last edited by Derek Hazell on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Damian/Damien

Post by Charlie Reams »

Damien and Suzie are two of Countdown's longest-serving employees, and it makes you look like a retard if you misspell their names.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:Damien and Suzie are two of Countdown's longest-serving employees, and it makes you look like a retard if you misspell their names.
On that note, it seems odd that, at the moment, the end credits give the man that arranged Countdown in the first place, Marcel Stellman, has had his name spelled Marcell.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

The fact that you posted this must be an omen.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

"Neither"? Things either matter or they don't.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I voted the same way as the clear majority, although not because misspelling someone's name is ignorant (which it is, but ignorance per se is no sin) but rather because it's discourteous.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I voted the same way as the clear majority, although not because misspelling someone's name is ignorant (which it is, but ignorance per se is no sin) but rather because it's discourteous.
Interesting, Phil. I chose the word "ignorant" because I thought it would cover both lack of learning, and your reason. My "mom" uses "ignorant" to mean rude, as in "you are ignorant!" if someone interrupts or something. But I just checked in the dictionary and it only means the former.
Maybe it's a regional thing. Or perhaps she's just ignorant of the meaning :)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ben Hunter wrote:"Neither"? Things either matter or they don't.
You're right, Ben. Maybe the question should have been worded "Should his name be spelt Damian or Damien?", but it's too late to change it now.
I'll make it my 2010 New Year's resolution to get better at wording polls.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:My "mom" uses "ignorant" to mean rude, as in "you are ignorant!" if someone interrupts or something. But I just checked in the dictionary and it only means the former.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
A lot of people do this - I don't think it's regional. When we were kids growing up in rural mid-Wales, one of my sisters would often say "don't be so ignorant" if I didn't respond to something she said to me; I always assumed it stemmed from a confusion between "ignorant" and "ignore", and used to take great delight in pointing out that in fact it was evidently she who was ignorant. (Yes, I was a pedant even before I was out of short trousers.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:"Neither"? Things either matter or they don't.
You're right, Ben. Maybe the question should have been worded "Should his name be spelt Damian or Damien?", but it's too late to change it now.
I'll make it my 2010 New Year's resolution to get better at wording polls.
It's pretty hard to argue that it should be spelt Damien. The best you could do is argue that it doesn't matter (which is still pretty dim).
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's pretty hard to argue that it should be spelt Damien. The best you could do is argue that it doesn't matter (which is still pretty dim).
Lol. Yes. Let's just agree that it was a difficult poll to word to cover all the options then, but everyone knows what they mean, even both of the "no" ones which argue for the very frequent misspelling.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe it doesn't matter now since he has changed his name
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Marc Meakin wrote:Maybe it doesn't matter now since he has changed his name
:lol:

He joins such Apterous luminaries as Care Her Lily.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I voted the same way as the clear majority, although not because misspelling someone's name is ignorant (which it is, but ignorance per se is no sin) but rather because it's discourteous.
Interesting, Phil. I chose the word "ignorant" because I thought it would cover both lack of learning, and your reason. My "mom" uses "ignorant" to mean rude, as in "you are ignorant!" if someone interrupts or something. But I just checked in the dictionary and it only means the former.
People like to use "ignorance" to cover whatever they want. Quite recently there was some crime (probably a murder) and I heard someone on the news saying "It's just ignorance." Is it? It doesn't sound too bad when you put it like that. Another one is to call a criminal a coward.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
People like to use "ignorance" to cover whatever they want. Quite recently there was some crime (probably a murder) and I heard someone on the news saying "It's just ignorance." Is it? It doesn't sound too bad when you put it like that. Another one is to call a criminal a coward.
Makes my blood boil.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ian Volante wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:People like to use "ignorance" to cover whatever they want. Quite recently there was some crime (probably a murder) and I heard someone on the news saying "It's just ignorance." Is it? It doesn't sound too bad when you put it like that. Another one is to call a criminal a coward.
Makes my blood boil.
Makes me glad I'm just ignorant of how to make good polls, rather than of the fact that I shouldn't commit some crime like murder.

Noticed that Damian also gets called Damo sometimes, so maybe there should have been a further option of "No, I call him Damo, because it fits in with Jono, Deso, DavidO, HannahO and Rachel "Blimey O'" Riley".
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Where's the option for 'I spell it wrong accidentally, cos I'm a muppet?'
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Neil Zussman wrote:Where's the option for 'I spell it wrong accidentally, cos I'm a muppet?'
You can just click on "Neither, it's the content of the rest of the post that matters" for that one, as you probably haven't given that much importance to the name side of things.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Okay, this poll is now closed. A clear majority of 69% (Deso's and a few people on this forum's favourite number) think it is rude to spell anybody's name wrongly, not just Damian's. We also had 13% at either extreme - loving the man and going out of their way to do right by him, and not caring when reading posts.

It would be interesting to know who the one remaining voter for deliberately trying to annoy him was.

At least Mr. D will be safe in the knowledge that everyone kept their kinky/mischevious sides under wraps, and neither of the naughty options got any votes.

So, if you're still reading this forum Damian, there you go, something to lighten the mood a bit after all the furious debate, even though I know you don't really care yourself. :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:Okay, this poll is now closed. A clear majority of 69% (Deso's and a few people on this forum's favourite number) think it is rude to spell anybody's name wrongly, not just Damian's. We also had 13% at either extreme - loving the man and going out of their way to do right by him, and not caring when reading posts.

It would be interesting to know who the one remaining voter for deliberately trying to annoy him was.

At least Mr. D will be safe in the knowledge that everyone kept their kinky/mischevious sides under wraps, and neither of the naughty options got any votes.

So, if you're still reading this forum Damian, there you go, something to lighten the mood a bit after all the furious debate, even though I know you don't really care yourself. :)
I wonder if it was Scot Phillips (sic)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Marc Meakin wrote:I wonder if it was Scot Phillips (sic)
Who's Scot Phillips? Is that Gevin's real name?