Honest opinions

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Honest opinions

Post by Debbi Flack »

If I'm ever going to get them anywhere, it will be here!!!!

We (Danbury Players) are thinking of holding a Michael Jackson tribute evening. We would play his music (his and Jackson 5), there would be a disco, lookalike contest, soundalike contest etc. Probably BYO drinks and nibbles. Being really ambitious, we would try and get either Signature or Diversity to do a short stint (if you don't ask you don't get, right?)

What do you ladies think - would this be a good idea, or more of a 'they threw a big party and nobody came' moment?

Please be gentle - I've not done anything like this before!
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Honest opinions

Post by Michael Wallace »

Any particular reason this question is restricted to ladies? (If this is a ladies-only thing, I look forward to the outcome of the lookalike contest.)
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Go for it :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'll come!
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Sorry, I cut and pasted an earlier post to a ladies only forum :oops:
The invitation to comment is open to all.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Sounds good! You might even like to try a "moonwalk around the handbag" competition!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Debbi Flack wrote:Sorry, I cut and pasted an earlier post to a ladies only forum :oops:
The invitation to comment is open to all.
Ah, righto, that explains it :)

I suppose the painfully obvious and unhelpful answer is it depends on who your potential market are - it's the sort of thing that would probably go down well enough if it was being run on a university campus, whereas if it was happening in the village hall near my parents I wouldn't be so sure.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I'm sceptical that this kind of gig could ever take off. You might get a handful of genuinely grieving middle-aged moms but you won't get them to rock - they will just coalesce into snivelling groups. Younger people would split into the ones who have better stuff to listen to and those who find MJ was just too weird and disgusting. I can't see a demographic for you anywhere.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Signature - deffo.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

At risk of being facetious, it would be the one lookalike contest where all races and both sexes would have an equal chance of winning.

I can imagine two ways it might succeed - the one that would be harder to do is the one with everyone taking it seriously as Michael Jackson fans, genuinely there to honour his memory; the other is where people don't take it seriously at all, in the most outlandish outfits (actually that would probably apply to the genuine fans as well) and the already substantial number of "Jackson is dead" bad taste jokes flying around. Probably the worst case scenario is where you attempt the genuine tribute and the non-serious fans turn in into comedy night.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

All jokes aside, and not meaning to sound rude, but is the life of a 50 yr old man who shared his bed with vulnerable children really worth celebrating?

Why are people overlooking this distorted behaviour just because he's dead? Are we celebrating Harold Shipmans earlier work as a succesful GP and forgetting about all those people he killed at the end of his career?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:All jokes aside, and not meaning to sound rude, but is the life of a 50 yr old man who shared his bed with vulnerable children really worth celebrating?

Why are people overlooking this distorted behaviour just because he's dead? Are we celebrating Harold Shipmans earlier work as a succesful GP and forgetting about all those people he killed at the end of his career?
Is this meant to be ironic Matt considering you champion Fritzl at every opportunity?

If not, he was never convicted of anything, and we genuinely don't know either way. The accusing families were purely seeking money (if I were the parent of a sexually abused child, that wouldn't be my motivation) and were terrible at trial.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matthew Green wrote:All jokes aside, and not meaning to sound rude, but is the life of a 50 yr old man who shared his bed with vulnerable children really worth celebrating?

I know many parents who've allowed their own children into their bed for comfort when they've been lonely or frightened. Given that Jackson was effectively acting in loco parentis, and in the absence of any credible evidence of molestation, it seems a bit extreme to describe such behaviour as "distorted" - especially when put alongside the actions of a man who imprisoned and repeatedly raped his own children and whom you apparently find it hilarious to pretend to idolise (a "joke" that eluded me completely from day one and which I would guess has long since worn paper-thin for everyone else here too).
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Fair points both, avatar changed.

The psychological assessment of the Bashir footage was pretty compelling IMO, the way he was psychologically manipulating Azario was seen as textbook sexual predator behaviour. 'If you love me you'll stay with me tonight' or words to that effect.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matthew Green wrote:Fair points both, avatar changed.
For a moment there I thought that was you on the left and that you'd Photoshopped yourself into a picture of Jackson. :lol:

I can't comment on the "psychological assessment" of the interview footage. In the end it all comes down to what each of us chooses to believe. I choose to believe that Michael Jackson was himself a child trapped in a man's body, and that sexual predation lay about as far outside his range of behavioural motivations as rachelriley.org lies outside mine.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

It seems a shame to distort Debbi's light-hearted thread with all this debating about Jackson himself (although Phil's post was excellently written), especially when he already has his own thread here: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2360

Whatever you may think about his personal life, Debbi's party is not about that, but about celebrating his music, and even as someone who wasn't particularly bothered about his music I would still say it seems like a good, fun idea, and that you should go ahead with it.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

David Roe wrote:At risk of being facetious, it would be the one lookalike contest where all races and both sexes would have an equal chance of winning.

I can imagine two ways it might succeed - the one that would be harder to do is the one with everyone taking it seriously as Michael Jackson fans, genuinely there to honour his memory; the other is where people don't take it seriously at all, in the most outlandish outfits (actually that would probably apply to the genuine fans as well) and the already substantial number of "Jackson is dead" bad taste jokes flying around. Probably the worst case scenario is where you attempt the genuine tribute and the non-serious fans turn in into comedy night.
Oh, I'd come if it turns into a comedy night. And also if you promise not to play too much Michael Jackson music. I don't really like it.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:It seems a shame to distort Debbi's light-hearted thread with all this debating about Jackson himself (although Phil's post was excellently written), especially when he already has his own thread here: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2360

Whatever you may think about his personal life, Debbi's party is not about that, but about celebrating his music, and even as someone who wasn't particularly bothered about his music I would still say it seems like a good, fun idea, and that you should go ahead with it.
I'll also go if Derek's going - cos I think I might be able to get off with him
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:I'll also go if Derek's going - cos I think I might be able to get off with him
You only think? Glad I am so subtle.
Derek Hazell, Favourite Website thread wrote:(for some unknown reason) I am addicted to this very site these days.
I think I see one reason why now! :D

There you go Debbi. We're enthusiastic. So, you decided yet?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Sure are! August 14th. We've asked (but don't really expect) Signature if they are willing/able to put in an appearance, and a local street dance group are going to do a 'Thriller' tribute dance. A local DJ is going to help out with the music, so hopefully it will go with a swing (or whatever the correct term is these days :oops: )

Thanks for all the input guys and gals, I knew I could count on you.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Debbi Flack wrote:Sure are! August 14th. We've asked (but don't really expect) Signature if they are willing/able to put in an appearance, and a local street dance group are going to do a 'Thriller' tribute dance. A local DJ is going to help out with the music, so hopefully it will go with a swing (or whatever the correct term is these days :oops: )

Thanks for all the input guys and gals, I knew I could count on you.
I live quite close to you Debbie...as the crow flies. The small matter of the North Sea/Thames Estuary lies between us, unfortunately, but I'm always up for supporting worthy causes. Another small matter...really, really don't get what it is people see/saw in Michael Jackson - those trousers were never o'er long were they? More a Glam Rock/Punk Rock/ Indie Rock fan, but, I'll watch this space for the details - assuming you're offering open invitation.

Girls have to stick together on this site.

Sue
Fool's top.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Sue Sanders wrote: Girls have to stick together on this site.

Sue
With you on that one, sister!

You would be most welcome to come along and join us, it would be lovely to meet you (that goes for any forumite in easy travelling distance) . We are also holding a Countdown Quiz evening on 26th Sept, so that's another date for your diary.