Dictionary Corner Guests for the new series

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Dictionary Corner Guests for the new series

Post by James Robinson »

Steve Durney wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:From today's Metro:

"Steve Jones* has admitted his lust for Countdown girl Rachel Riley - so bosses have offered him the chance to appear in Dictionary Corner . . ."

*This is not the Steve Jones who used to be a TV presenter and quiz show host famous for his colourful glasses who appeared in DC before, but the Channel 4 youth presenter of a young, Welsh, good-looking, celebrity-dating persuasion.
.... who shagged Pamela Anderson.
.... who has shagged just about anyone famous!

Having said that, I hope he's not picked to go on DC just because he wants to shag the most gorgeous woman alive.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote:Having said that, I hope he's not picked to go on DC just because he wants to shag the most gorgeous woman alive.
It wouldn't work, Kirk's mom doesn't even watch Countdown.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

James Robinson wrote:

"Steve Jones* has admitted his lust for Countdown girl Rachel Riley - so bosses have offered him the chance to appear in Dictionary Corner . . ."
I hope he's not picked to go on DC just because he wants to shag the most gorgeous woman alive.
I know Damian's got a mischiev(i)ous sense of humour, but would he or any of the lady associate producers really invite someone on just because they lust after the numbers girl?

If it is wrong though, we will never be able to believe anything TV and print gossiper extraordinaire Neil Sean tells us ever again . . .
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I remember ages ago in Metro's The Green Room by Neil Sean: Oasis' Noel Gallagher was overheard at a London party saying "Did you manage to Sky+ Countdown for me?" Rock on!
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

[quote="Derek Hazell"]From today's Metro:

Steve Durney admits lust for Countdown girl Rachel Riley - awaits bosses invite to appear in Dictionary Corner....
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

News to me. :o
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:News to me. :o
Thank you Damian - you've restored my faith in you and the rest of the team. :D
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: Edit to add that Tim Vine is fucking brilliant.
Have to agree with that Jon - He is one of the few DC guests to make me LOL on a regular basis.
Then you'll both be glad to know he returns next week!
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

How about University Challenge's Gail Trimble ?

IMHO, the series is better without Jo Brand - I can't stand her
self-righteous attitude, and her 'made-up' words !
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:How about University Challenge's Gail Trimble ?
I'll ask her, but I have a feeling she prefers to stay out of the limelight.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:IMHO, the series is better without Jo Brand - I can't stand her
Well she was at my recordings yesterday, so give the week of 14-18th a miss!
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
Mark Kudlowski wrote:IMHO, the series is better without Jo Brand - I can't stand her
Well she was at my recordings yesterday, so give the week of 14-18th a miss!

Self-righteous..............hmm.......not sure i agree. In fact, aren't you talking bollocks?
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I was never too keen on her but she was very nice yesterday.
Jennifer McElroy

Post by Jennifer McElroy »

Well speaking as a very very long time Countdown viewer, I am glad that Jo Brand is on again. DC guests seem to be more and more stand up comedy corner guests. Didn't like Tim Vine actually, that comedy becomes wearing after a while, plus he showed a distinct lack of word knowledge.
I see yet another retired footballer this week :( never heard of him and had to look him up on Google.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:I see yet another retired footballer this week :( never heard of him and had to look him up on Google.
You mention yet another. Which others are you thinking of? None immediately spring to my mind. But then, that could be me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Jennifer McElroy wrote:I see yet another retired footballer this week :( never heard of him and had to look him up on Google.
You mention yet another. Which others are you thinking of? None immediately spring to my mind. But then, that could be me.
Didn't know you were a retired footballer Howard! :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Matt Morrison wrote:Didn't know you were a retired footballer Howard! :)
:)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: Didn't know you were a retired footballer Howard! :)
I think you're confusing Howard with George Jenkins, who captained England in eleven sports including football, and only retired due to his split commitments as World's Strongest Man, Brain of Britain and Miss World.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: Didn't know you were a retired footballer Howard! :)
I think you're confusing Howard with George Jenkins, who captained England in eleven sports including football, and only retired due to his split commitments as World's Strongest Man, Brain of Britain and Miss World.
:D Don't forget British Ambassador to Nicaragua!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:Well speaking as a very very long time Countdown viewer, I am glad that Jo Brand is on again. DC guests seem to be more and more stand up comedy corner guests. Didn't like Tim Vine actually, that comedy becomes wearing after a while, plus he showed a distinct lack of word knowledge.
I see yet another retired footballer this week :( never heard of him and had to look him up on Google.
So, you're ignorant - want a prize?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon Corby wrote:So, you're ignorant - want a prize?
Being ignorant about football doesn't make you ignorant. We all have a shared interest in Countdown, but then our interests divide, and that is what makes this board so interesting, rather than if all our other interests were the same too.

Also Jon, if you are generally witty then sarcasm is unecessary - leave that to those who need it because it's all they have :P
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Actually, I've just realised that the series champions of Series 57, 58 and 59 all love football (not sure about Kirk), so maybe the two things are connected after all . . . and maybe that's why I'm still so awful at CD.

After the hummingbird impressions the other day, I got to wondering why Sir James Savile OBE has never been in DC. I would also like to see Sarah Beeny in there - she already works for Channel 4, and is intelligent and always good to watch. Plus she couldn't have any less to say than someone like Aggie MacKenzie.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:Also Jon, if you are generally witty then sarcasm is unecessary
Yeah right.
Jennifer McElroy

I always thought you were a nice lad when you were on Countdown. Just shows you.
Bear in mind Sarcasm is the Lowest form of Wit!
Maybe for retired footballer..I should have put retired sportsman. Silly me!
No i am not ignorant..I have two degrees and taught in an inner city school for thirty plus uears. You should have a bit more respect.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:I always thought you were a nice lad when you were on Countdown. Just shows you.
No i am not ignorant..I have two degrees and taught in an inner city school for thirty plus uears. You should have a bit more respect.
Nah, Jennifer, you can't expect respect here for that kind of achievement. Apart from the hard core who know each other well everyone is judged only by what they post, and some do tend to snap judgements (as did you, actually).

Live and let live is a good precept, but "let live" really ought to come first.

I do agree with you about retired footballers, though, particularly as DC guests I have never heard of, who begin by talking shop with Jeff and then merely read out the words Susie and the gods have found. But to be fair, they do not tend to be invited back a great deal.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I do agree with you about retired footballers, though, ...
I'm still puzzled about these retired footballers (plural) who you have now mentioned too. As far as I can see, there has only been one in the past, and he was certainly not invited as an ex football player; he never really made the grade, becoming famous only later as a football manager and later still, as a commentator. I will agree with both you and Jennifer about him though; I would not welcome him back to dictionary corner. It's over three years since he made his solitary appearance.

As for tomorrow's guest, of course it remains to be seen how he does. Maybe you'll both be surprised and like him. But even if you don't, remember that as far as I know, no guest has received universal acclaim.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:I do agree with you about retired footballers, though, ...
I'm still puzzled about these retired footballers (plural) who you have now mentioned too. As far as I can see, there has only been one in the past, and he was certainly not invited as an ex football player; he never really made the grade, becoming famous only later as a football manager and later still, as a commentator. I will agree with both you and Jennifer about him though; I would not welcome him back to dictionary corner. It's over three years since he made his solitary appearance.
Who are you talking about?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Le tissier is next weeks DC guest if that helps
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:Bear in mind Sarcasm is the Lowest form of Wit!
Did you ever teach capitalisation in your thirty years as a dispenser of wisdom? Basic literacy might help you garner some of this respect you demand.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Marc Meakin wrote:Matt Le tissier is next weeks DC guest if that helps
Thanks, but just wondering who this ex-player / manager / commentator is.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Steve Durney wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Matt Le tissier is next weeks DC guest if that helps
Thanks, but just wondering who this ex-player / manager / commentator is.
The only person I can think of is John Inverdale
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Howard Somerset wrote:

As for tomorrow's guest, of course it remains to be seen how he does. Maybe you'll both be surprised and like him. But even if you don't, remember that as far as I know, no guest has received universal acclaim.
All I am agreeing with, is that one can very easily have too many retired footballers. I admit that I may well be basing my estimate of the interestingness of retired footballers on a prejudiced assessment of the interestingness of David Beckham, should he ever retire. I don't keep a tally of the DC guests I have never heard of, but I believe that most of them are either sportsmen or soap actors. I have, BTW, nothing at all against retired cricketers or snooker players.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Steve Durney wrote:Who are you talking about?
Steve Durney wrote:Thanks, but just wondering who this ex-player / manager / commentator is.
A few moments of searching tells me that Ron Atkinson has appeared before. Sorry to have to ruin a rare moment of diplomacy for this board, Howard.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Derek Hazell wrote:A few moments of searching tells me that Ron Atkinson has appeared before. Sorry to have to ruin a rare moment of diplomacy for this board, Howard.
You're quite right, Derek. Big Ron is the one who I was thinking of.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:All I am agreeing with, is that one can very easily have too many retired footballers. I admit that I may well be basing my estimate of the interestingness of retired footballers on a prejudiced assessment of the interestingness of David Beckham, should he ever retire. I don't keep a tally of the DC guests I have never heard of, but I believe that most of them are either sportsmen or soap actors. I have, BTW, nothing at all against retired cricketers or snooker players.
Well quite. Soap actors, sportsmen, they're all the same. These retired footballers, they move in and take all the jobs that belong to other out-of-work celebrities. Send them back where they came from, I say. Not like cricketers and snooker players, at least they're clean.

And I speak as someone who has not only seen Ron Atkinson play, I've actually seen him score a goal. Not many people can claim that.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:A few moments of searching tells me that Ron Atkinson has appeared before. Sorry to have to ruin a rare moment of diplomacy for this board, Howard.
Big Ron's totally into the game, and I'm sure he would have been invited back if it wasn't for Niggergate.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JimBentley wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
Big Ron's totally into the game, and I'm sure he would have been invited back if it wasn't for Niggergate.
Steve Davies would also be invited back if it was not for gingergate
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Steve Durney wrote:Who are you talking about?
Steve Durney wrote:Thanks, but just wondering who this ex-player / manager / commentator is.
A few moments of searching tells me that Ron Atkinson has appeared before. Sorry to have to ruin a rare moment of diplomacy for this board, Howard.
Thanks. Can't remember it though. I'm hoping they'll get the Merse on there sometime soon!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

David Williams wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:All I am agreeing with, is that one can very easily have too many retired footballers. I admit that I may well be basing my estimate of the interestingness of retired footballers on a prejudiced assessment of the interestingness of David Beckham, should he ever retire. I don't keep a tally of the DC guests I have never heard of, but I believe that most of them are either sportsmen or soap actors. I have, BTW, nothing at all against retired cricketers or snooker players.
Well quite. Soap actors, sportsmen, they're all the same. These retired footballers, they move in and take all the jobs that belong to other out-of-work celebrities. Send them back where they came from, I say. Not like cricketers and snooker players, at least they're clean.

And I speak as someone who has not only seen Ron Atkinson play, I've actually seen him score a goal. Not many people can claim that.
I think the difference is that if I had seen him score a goal I wouldn't remember. But I do remember some of the feats of Steve Davis, and Ken Docherty, and Colin Cowdray and even Peter May.

Soap actors and sportsmen are all the same inasmuch as they don't interest me in the least. This is my opinion, not a value judgement, and doesn't need to offend anybody else. And I don't find myself worrying about celebrities, soap actors or footballers being strapped for cash in their retirement.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

You don't really do irony, do you? Or spelling, when it comes to your idols.
Jennifer McElroy

What a nasty site this is.
Should I be surprised at the level of sarcasm on here? I think that some comments are unnecessary.
"Did you ever teach capitalisation in your thirty years as a dispenser of wisdom? Basic literacy might help you garner some of this respect you demand."
By the way I don't demand anything. You certainly don't get respect on this site.
No doubt there will be some sarcastic comment to follow. :roll:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Not sarcastic!

As you may have realised, some people don't get along very well with newbies, and seem to be pretty pedantic and rude. But the majority of us welcome people, and are light-hearted. But don't worry - most of what people says (if it seems rude) isn't necessarily meant that way; it seems they (we) have an odd sense of humour. Just don't panic, like some have done. :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I think c4c can be a fairly brutal place for newbies, but the cool ones and Matt Morrison seem to brush it off just fine.
Rosemary Roberts wrote: Apart from the hard core who know each other well everyone is judged only by what they post, and some do tend to snap judgements
Rosemary Roberts wrote: Soap actors and sportsmen are all the same inasmuch as they don't interest me in the least.
:roll:
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

David Williams wrote:You don't really do irony, do you?

If your irony doesn't come across then it is you that has failed.
David Williams wrote:Or spelling, when it comes to your idols.
When spelling matters I look it up, when it doesn't, I don't. But I can spell important names - like Srinivasa Ramanujan. 8-)
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Paul Howe wrote:I think c4c can be a fairly brutal place for newbies, but the cool ones and Matt Morrison seem to brush it off just fine.
Rosemary Roberts wrote: Apart from the hard core who know each other well everyone is judged only by what they post, and some do tend to snap judgements
Rosemary Roberts wrote: Soap actors and sportsmen are all the same inasmuch as they don't interest me in the least.
:roll:
I think you should maybe distinguish between a snap judgement and the fruit of a lifetime's experience! :lol:
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

JimBentley wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
Ah, well actually Jim, Big Ron's first ever TV assignment after Niggergate was Countdown. We gave him a chance when nobody else would, and he did very well for us on the show. Matt Le Tiss was fantastic, you'll see for yourselves next week, but suffice to say he's admitted to having seen every edition of the show since Nov 82. What more can u ask for. 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:I always thought you were a nice lad when you were on Countdown. Just shows you.
I apologise Jennifer. As a Southampton fan, Matt Le Tissier is my absolute hero, so when I saw a post dismissing him like yours did, I immediately went on the defensive. You have admitted you know nothing about the guy, so why the disapproval over his appearance? Do you know what 'prejudice' is?

Anyway, I centred in on that one part of your post, and I accept that I made a mistake in doing so.

Now that I've had time to reflect and read your post fully, I should also add that you have a shit sense of humour.

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:I think that some comments are unnecessary.
Any chance you could post something about Countdown instead of amateur personality reviewing? Thx.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

D Eadie wrote:Matt Le Tiss was fantastic, you'll see for yourselves next week, but suffice to say he's admitted to having seen every edition of the show since Nov 82.
So that's why he never moved. Midweek games, European travel. Would have been awfully inconvenient.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

D Eadie wrote:Ah, well actually Jim, Big Ron's first ever TV assignment after Niggergate was Countdown. We gave him a chance when nobody else would, and he did very well for us on the show.
Eee, I never knew that. Good on you, sir.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

D Eadie wrote:Matt Le Tiss was fantastic
Agreed. Great feller and very obliging with the post-recording autographs and photos etc.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Whilst I think Le Tissier has been fantastic, Phil Thompson is the one that really brings out the best in Jeff on Saturdays. I'd love to see him in DC some time.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Whilst I think Le Tissier has been fantastic, Phil Thompson is the one that really brings out the best in Jeff on Saturdays. I'd love to see him in DC some time.
Agreed. When the "ex-footballer as a forthcoming DC guest" was announced, I thought it was Kamara though; is he still in the pipeline?
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Carol Vorderman - see if she gets more than 30
Victoria Beckham - see if she gets more than 3. if POUT is there she might
Gordon Ramsay - not enough F's and K's i guess.
Gordon Brown - he will learn by his mistakes.
Alex Ferguson - should do well if you give him 4 extra minutes.

That should wind a few people up.

On a more serious note I definitely agree with Rann the man - he was great. Jasper Carrott. and as mentioned earlier Ian Hislop and Paul Merton.
To balance it up with a couple of ladies - supernanny Jo Frost and Carol Thatcher
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

If we have to choose between Ian Hislop / Paul Merton and Jo Frost / Carol Thatcher, can I please vote for Hislop and Merton.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Keith Bevins wrote:supernanny Jo Frost
Spot the nine:

TABLEPEAS
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:News to me. :o
Thank you Damian - you've restored my faith in you and the rest of the team. :D
There is an interview with Steve Jones in this week's Radio Times about his favourite TV shows, and he says "I enjoy almost all quiz and game shows. One of the best is "Deal or No Deal" with Noel Edmonds. It's great that he's back on screeen. He's the complete entertainer." No mention of Countdown at all! Even more reason why he shouldn't go on I think! :)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ian Hyland next week. Will be interesting to see what a TV critic has to say, and he is not inexperienced, being one of the main talking heads on all these countdown (with a small 'c') shows.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:You're quite right, Derek. Big Ron is the one who I was thinking of.
Ah, well actually Jim, Big Ron's first ever TV assignment after Niggergate was Countdown. We gave him a chance when nobody else would, and he did very well for us on the show.
All the Anton Du Beke fanatics on here will be ballroom dancing around their PCs joyfully, in the knowledge that he'll still have one open-minded venue for his chat.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Derek Hazell wrote:All the Anton Du Beke fanatics on here will be ballroom dancing around their PCs joyfully, in the knowledge that he'll still have one open-minded venue for his chat.
When I hear his name I immediately think "pinhead", so your comment raises the question: will there be room for all of them to dance?