Project Hyper

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Project Hyper

Post by Ian Volante »

20 pages ish, 422 words. I can do some more tomorrow night if you fancy allocating me another block.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Post by Maxine Silkstone »

632words, 28 pages
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Now 21 pages, 745 words. It's dense work in this part of the book, MINI-, MIS-, MONO- etc. Words of the day: MIXMASTERS, MOLESTATION.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:20 pages ish, 422 words. I can do some more tomorrow night if you fancy allocating me another block.
Cheers. See above for your new block.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Another 10. That's now 70 pages, 1054 words. Break for dinner and watch today's programme.

I could take another block if you want, as I'll have time before I have to stop on Saturday.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:Another 10. That's now 70 pages, 1054 words. Break for dinner and watch today's programme.

I could take another block if you want, as I'll have time before I have to stop on Saturday.
We're getting a little short of blocks so I'll just stick another 20 pages on the end of yours. Let me know if you get near finishing that and I'll just give you some more.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Early night tonight. Off to bed at 76 pages, 1147 words.

Back for more tomorrow.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Just had my first 100-word page: DEOXIDIZE to DEPOLARISATIONS, 101 words all on page 466. Good times.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:Just had my first 100-word page: DEOXIDIZE to DEPOLARISATIONS, 101 words all on page 466. Good times.
In complete contrast, I had no entries at all on my first two pages, 1601-02, and didn't get into double figures until I was on my fifth page. It all changed around after that.

Now 87 pages, 1396 words.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Question.
I know that accents can be disregarded. What about apostrophes? I'm thinking particularly about SOU'WESTERS.

Now finished batch 16xx. Total words 1673.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Someone was asking for some interesting words. Here are a few from the first page of my second batch:

SPELLCHECK
SPELLCHECKS
SPELLCHECKED
SPELLCHECKING
SPELLCHECKER
SPELLCHECKERS

The spellchecker objected to everyone of them. :lol:
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Page 1501 - 1550.

722 Words.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:Question.
I know that accents can be disregarded. What about apostrophes? I'm thinking particularly about SOU'WESTERS.

Now finished batch 16xx. Total words 1673.
I think apostrophes function like spaces, so SOU'WESTERS would be inadmissible. Interesting question though, never encountered that before.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

113 pages done, 2035 words (3 to be removed, if that facility comes)

7 pages left to do.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:113 pages done, 2035 words (3 to be removed, if that facility comes)

7 pages left to do.
Do you want to tell me what the 3 are? It's probably easier for me to fix those case-by-case than write some interface for it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:I know that accents can be disregarded. What about apostrophes? I'm thinking particularly about SOU'WESTERS.
I think apostrophes function like spaces, so SOU'WESTERS would be inadmissible. Interesting question though, never encountered that before.
Surely this is no different to the rules for the standard (TV) game. Words like AREN'T aren't allowed on Countdown, so SOU'WESTERS shouldn't be allowed in Hypercountdown.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:I know that accents can be disregarded. What about apostrophes? I'm thinking particularly about SOU'WESTERS.
Surely this is no different to the rules for the standard (TV) game. Words like AREN'T aren't allowed on Countdown, so SOU'WESTERS shouldn't be allowed in Hypercountdown.
If I'd waited until this afternoon, I wouldn't have had to ask the question. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

ZOMG SPOILER
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

bollocks and fuck. :( :evil: :twisted: :cry:

I've just refreshed the page and - even though the list was blank at the time - philoblah has just appeared twice in the list at the top. If it's resubmitted all 223 words in the list as duplicates that's everything from phlegmatically back to petitioners(ish). Wankety wank. If you want me to take them out let me know -I've done a bit of sql etc in my time.

Really really sorry :( - I can't imagine I got carried away cos philoblah was such a ballache to type at the time.

Gutted :(

Edit: I solemnly swear I will save after every page from now on :oops:

Edit 2: As if by magic there's now only 1 copy in there, so I'm hoping it didn't resubmit them all after all. Hurrah if that's the case :D
Last edited by Lesley Hines on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Jon Corby wrote:ZOMG SPOILER
I don't really think so. I did think hard before posting, though
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:113 pages done, 2035 words (3 to be removed, if that facility comes)

7 pages left to do.
Do you want to tell me what the 3 are? It's probably easier for me to fix those case-by-case than write some interface for it.
Thanks Charlie.

Can you remove three typos:

SHIPLIFTING
SOECIOUSNESS
SOECIOUSNESSES

The correct versions of each are in.
------------------
Second batch now finished. Pages 1701-1720: 478 words

I'm still ok till Saturday morning if you want me to do any more. Just let me know, Charlie.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Page 1326 - 126 words in all. Y'know, this is quite interesting.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Can I just remind everyone that if a word is given as a noun subentry then you must include the plural, however silly it sounds. For example, ACQUISITIVENESS is marked as a noun under ACQUISITIVE, so ACQUISITIVENESSES should be given.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:Can I just remind everyone that if a word is given as a noun subentry then you must include the plural, however silly it sounds. For example, ACQUISITIVENESS is marked as a noun under ACQUISITIVE, so ACQUISITIVENESSES should be given.
This won't apply to nouns that are alternatives for other words that are mass nouns will it? SCHISTOSOMIASIS being one example.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Just checking on -ise and -ize: I've obviously been putting all verb conjugations for -ise and -ize where they're listed as alternatives, but usually only -ization is listed as the derivative noun. Did you want -isation added too where there's an -ise alternative?

Edit: Going by your deinstitutionalisations on the page I'd call that a yes. No more SFQs for at least, say, half an hour.
Last edited by Lesley Hines on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Can I just remind everyone that if a word is given as a noun subentry then you must include the plural, however silly it sounds. For example, ACQUISITIVENESS is marked as a noun under ACQUISITIVE, so ACQUISITIVENESSES should be given.
This won't apply to nouns that are alternatives for other words that are mass nouns will it? SCHISTOSOMIASIS being one example.
That's not a subentry, it's a head entry, so what I said doesn't apply. For words which are given as "other terms" you need to look up the word it's referencing and decide the inflections from there (although Susie has not always been consistent in doing this, e.g. she used to allow OPALINES which is a cross-reference to the mass noun MILKGLASS).
Lesley Hines wrote:Just checking on -ise and -ize: I've obviously been putting all verb conjugations for -ise and -ize where they're listed as alternatives, but usually only -ization is listed as the derivative noun. Did you want -isation added too where there's an -ise alternative?
Yes, as I said above, variant spellings carry through to all the inflections and subentries.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie - I've just spotted that ALT-O gives -ISES and -ISES rather than -ISES and -ISED. This means I've missed at least one -ISED word, probably a handful, but they'll be a while back in my trawl. I suspect this may have caused quite a few omissions.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:Charlie - I've just spotted that ALT-O gives -ISES and -ISES rather than -ISES and -ISED. This means I've missed at least one -ISED word, probably a handful, but they'll be a while back in my trawl. I suspect this may have caused quite a few omissions.
Shit, well spotted. It's relatively easy for me to fix these retrospectively, which I will now do.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Okay, that's me done.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

1235 words, but only 29 pages through.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

1024 words, 31 pages. Words of the day: MOONSTOMPING, MORPHOPHONOLOGICALLY.

One bad 'un in MOLECTRONICS, bad me.

I've reached the point now where I look back at the last couple of pages and think: Did I put that in? Maybe I didn't. I'll put it in again.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I got to the point where all the SC- words were looking very weird.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Whoops, I picked a bad time to be away it seems. Sorry, I'll start tomorrow.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

75 pages, 1574 words.

Interestingly, the average for J was about 9 per page, and the average for K was 8 per page. My average for the Is that I did was 52 per page (although it peaked at around 80 near the start with INTER...).

edit: 90 pages, 1820 words, the Ls are proving surprisingly sparse, I might not hit 2000 at this rate (and before someone says 18200/9 > 2000, I mean the rate I'm getting so far in the Ls).
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I see you've added a few more Dones to the first post, Charlie. I completed both my batches sometime yesterday afternoon. Maybe you missed the posts.

Later edit - I've picked the one unassigned block (1761-1800); nobody else seems to have claimed it.

Later still - About a third of final batch done. 13 pages 651 words (total 133 pages 2798 words)

Possible concern about my 33 letter word. Does it have SULPHANIL as a prefix to what's listed? My feeling is that it does, otherwise the word would be listed under A.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

1962 words, 65 pages so far - I've started whizzing through them now they're thinning out a bit.

Top respect Charlie - I can't believe you've done 11000. :D Give the man a cigar (and something to soothe those fingers!) :lol:
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Howard Somerset wrote:Possible concern about my 33 letter word. Does it have SULPHANIL as a prefix to what's listed? My feeling is that it does, otherwise the word would be listed under A.
I did Chemistry, so I looked it up - it isn't, they're alternative names for the same thing. It's got listed sulphanilamide, or instead p-aminobenzenesulphonamide, where the p- means para-, indicating the active groups are located opposite sides of the benzene ring. For these purposes it should only be the sulphanilamide
CH
/ \
H2NC CH
| |
HC CSO2NH2
\ /
CH
The other can't exist as there's nothing for the amine group to adhere to in some sort of polymerisation without another intermediary.
It's the same type of naming as e.g. TNT or trinitrotoluene or 2,4,6-trinitromethylbenzene etc. Was that as clear as mud? Hope it helped.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Lesley Hines wrote:Was that as clear as mud?
Not quite, Lesley, but thanks. :lol:

But it's pretty well convinced me that SULPHANILAMINOBENZENESULPHONAMIDE should be deleted, along with the three I mentioned earlier, Charlie.

Now completed my third batch: 40 pages, 1261 words, excluding SULPHANILAMINOBENZENESULPHONAMIDE
My total: (batches 1601-1700, 1701-1720, 1761-1800) 160 pages, 3409 words
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Speaking of dodgy words:
Spindlex wrote:Next few words by someone else: MOUSEMOTHERS, NORTHLANDS, NORTHWARDS, NORTHWESTER, NORTHWESTERS (stop when you get to these).
MOUSEMOTHERS unfortunately isn't a word (I was intrigued and perfectly willing to believe that it was, though) so I'm not sure what that's doing there. I'll carry on to NORTHLANDS, obv.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

JimBentley wrote:Speaking of dodgy words:
Spindlex wrote:Next few words by someone else: MOUSEMOTHERS, NORTHLANDS, NORTHWARDS, NORTHWESTER, NORTHWESTERS (stop when you get to these).
MOUSEMOTHERS unfortunately isn't a word (I was intrigued and perfectly willing to believe that it was, though) so I'm not sure what that's doing there. I'll carry on to NORTHLANDS, obv.
I'd love to do a (joke) (you) style gag but it doesn't quite seem fitting.

I mgiht do it anyway soon though.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

45 pages, 1337 words seems a fitting place to stop for tonight. Word of the day: MULTIVIBRATOR. Unfortunately two words so not allowable: MUFF DIVING.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

Next few words by someone else: EMALANGENI, EMPERIMENTER, EMPERIMENTERS, ESOPHAGISTIS, ESOPHAGUSES (stop when you get to these).

I've got one of those messages too

EMALANGENI is ok, but i can't see EMPERIMENTER, EMPERIMENTERS (maybe a typoed experimenter, experimenters?)
ESOPHAGISTIS isn't a word, but presuming it is derived from the following ESOPHAGUSES it is a US spelling so it and it's plural and all derivatives shouldn't be in should they?

SO...

I'm gonna ignore the message and keep going, because the EMALANGENI is obviously put there by the person with the L's as it's a plural form of LILANGENI, so it's a one off and no-one has done the surrounding set, I'll keep going to my original target finish line unless you call me off as I'm on a roll.

PS Just passed Dromedaries :)
and DYSRYTHMIC has gotta be the longest word with only one vowel!

1523words and 69 pages, and I'm going cross eyed, must be a dys word that describes that but none of them sunk in.

Reminds me of the definition of a lecture: Means of transferring the notes of the lecturer to the notes of the student without passing through the brains of either.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Finished at last - 100 pages, 1948 words in the end, although the dictionary gave me a nice farewell gift with 57 words on page 1000 (although still nothing compared to the ton-pluses I and others have had).

Phew. I should probably do some actual work now.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Well done to everyone who's finished their block. If anyone is feeling like they've bitten off more than they can chew, now would be a good time to speak up so I can reallocate part of your block to someone else.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:Well done to everyone who's finished their block. If anyone is feeling like they've bitten off more than they can chew, now would be a good time to speak up so I can reallocate part of your block to someone else.
I could pick up small sections if you wish, Charlie. But today's my last day. Possibly a bit tomorrow morning, too.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Well done to everyone who's finished their block. If anyone is feeling like they've bitten off more than they can chew, now would be a good time to speak up so I can reallocate part of your block to someone else.
I could pick up small sections if you wish, Charlie. But today's my last day. Possibly a bit tomorrow morning, too.
You've gone beyond the call of duty already, if you feel like doing more then you're welcome to make a start on p1761 - 1800 (substitute onwards). I'll finish off anything you haven't done by the time of your departure.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
You've gone beyond the call of duty already, if you feel like doing more then you're welcome to make a start on p1761 - 1800 (substitute onwards). I'll finish off anything you haven't done by the time of your departure.
I've already done 1761-1800. Did it yesterday. :) See a few posts up.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote: I've already done 1761-1800. Did it yesterday. :) See a few posts up.
Just too efficient. Doesn't look like Jimmy's going to do anything so you can take what's left of his block, 401 - 450 [coxswain - declare].
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:Just too efficient. Doesn't look like Jimmy's going to do anything so you can take what's left of his block, 401 - 450 [coxswain - declare].
OK, I'll work backwards, just in case he does start.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

A few mis-types, to add to the three already mentioned.

DECAPITATIOR
DECAPITATIORS
CYANOACRYIATE
CYANOACRYIATES

(noticed the first two just as Enter had been pressed)
(misread l as i in the last two, easily done)

My apologies.

Can you remove these four at some time, Charlie?

Later: Working backwards through 401-450: 25 pages, 490 words (excluding four to be deleted)
Last edited by Howard Somerset on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

All done - 3018 words. :D I did quite enjoy that, in a perverse (p1316) sort of way.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:All done - 3018 words. :D I did quite enjoy that, in a perverse (p1316) sort of way.
Nice one, well done :)
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

1926 words, 79 pages, rest this evening, slowed down a bit as I hit a thicket of ectos and then had a spate of deja vous with all the matching endos, that and all the electros put the brakes on a bit, but after all those mediacl terms I'm ready to take my first year surgery exams, either that or I'm a raving hypochondriac!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Best word so far:

CUMMINGTONITE

Very disappointed, though, when I found the definition was not what I was expecting. :lol:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Howard Somerset wrote:Best word so far:

CUMMINGTONITE

Very disappointed, though, when I found the definition was not what I was expecting. :lol:
You may find this page amusing.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I shall start today.
Maxine Silkstone
Rookie

BenWilson wrote: To put it in proportion there are just about 2100 pages of words in the ODE2r. Divvying up 300 each between 7 people is easy enough, as if we all took 5 a night we'd be done in 2 months. This of course assumes we'd all be able to do 5 pages a night, which ain't guaranteed by a long shot (work and uni commitments etc). I want to get started on this at some point though so any more volunteers would be most welcome.
4 days so far and 86% done?

Never underestimate the value of OCD!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Michael Wallace wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Best word so far:

CUMMINGTONITE

You may find this page amusing.
I love it. Thanks! :lol:
Jimmy Gough wrote:I shall start today.
Hi Jimmy. Good to see you can do some today. Earlier today, Charlie suggested I started looking at your pages, and I've done the last 40, which leaves 701-710 still to be done.

It's a sensible time for me to stop now, Charlie. 200 pages in total, and 4153 words (less the few I've asked you to remove). Best of luck with the rest of the project. If it's still going at the end of July, I'll help to finish it off. :)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Should I add SICKNESSES to the list, or should I be pedantic and omit it?
Be pedantic :)
Charlie Reams wrote:AIRLESSNESS is listed as a small subentry of AIRLESS, and says only "noun", so we have to assume that AIRLESSNESSES is valid.
I don't understand the difference between these two.

Other than that I'm pretty clear on what to include and what not.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:I shall start today.
Hi Jimmy. Good to see you can do some today. Earlier today, Charlie suggested I started looking at your pages, and I've done the last 40, which leaves 701-710 still to be done.
OK Howard. Great work. :mrgreen: