Spoilers for Fri 19 June [The Final Countdown]

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Fri 19 June [The Final Countdown]

Post by Craig Beevers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:All the finalists were great to talk to and great people. Cate Henderson kind of lost it in the free bar after the final though and she went on a rant about how she hated mobile phones and people who use them. Then she got even angrier and said she can't stand computers and then accused me of cheating because I used a computer to practice. Mad!
Heh sounds interesting.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kirk Bevins wrote:All the finalists were great to talk to and great people. Cate Henderson kind of lost it in the free bar after the final though and she went on a rant about how she hated mobile phones and people who use them. Then she got even angrier and said she can't stand computers and then accused me of cheating because I used a computer to practise. Mad!
Lol yeah it was ace. Julie Russell was with her and she was reassuring us that she wasn't also a massive technophobe.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Just wanted to add my congratulations to all in the finals of this series. I've "watched" most of this series through recaps until today. Well played Kirk - quite simply brilliant. Unlucky Jimmy and Neil who in any other series would have been playing for the crown yesterday.

I'm with Corby - think its got better and better with Jeff/Rachel at the helm. Well done to all.
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Did anyone notice the face Jimmy pulled just after the 2nd numbers game? It's a classic. I'd love to know what was going through his mind at the time.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Well done Kirk, amazing stuff throughout.

Is there actually such thing as a GRANIVORE? Are any animals actually meant to eat grain or is that just a cruel development of mankind?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Haha. Who is he?
That be the lovely Jonathan Yardley (aka Jay), the floor manager. When I first saw this pic of Craig's, I thought: is Rachel checking out Jay's bum? No, it probably just looks that way because of the camera angle. Then I saw the next one and laughed myself silly.
Brilliant, just emailed them to the man in question- sure he'll he chuffed about them!
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Louise Bambury

Post by Louise Bambury »

Congratulations Kirk, you really deserved to win and well done Jimmy on getting to the final, was lovely to see 2 young lads in the final :-)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:May as well share this, enjoyable for both how much my mum loves Jimmy and how she refers to Countdown like it's sex for me:

Haha Matt loves Countdown, he goes to town :P
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Haha Matt loves Countdown, he goes to town :P
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matthew Green wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:That be the lovely Jonathan Yardley (aka Jay), the floor manager. When I first saw this pic of Craig's, I thought: is Rachel checking out Jay's bum? No, it probably just looks that way because of the camera angle. Then I saw the next one and laughed myself silly.
Brilliant, just emailed them to the man in question- sure he'll he chuffed about them!
You have Jay's email address? :o
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Congratulations Kirk on winning the series, which your performances deserved, and commiserations to Jimmy, though you've certainly shown yourself to be a formidable player. I've been away from the Countdown scene for a while (due to exams, working on my novel etc...), but have still watched the show more or less every day.

Well done also to all the finalists for making this one of the most entertaining sets of finals I've ever seen. Certainly looking forward to Series 61.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Well done too both players.

Kirk, I think you deserved the win based on the hard work that you've put in over the years and hope you continue too be part of the scene.

Jimmy, I thought you were the player that had most improved since the heats. I don't know if you plan to stick at it, but I think you could be a real force at the next Champion of Champions if you continue to improve as much as you have.

From Cate's rant I'm assuming she won't be signing up to apterous soon, but does anyone know if Shane or Hamish will be or there reasons for not signing up if they're not planning to?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Fantastic game - well done to both players.
Jimmy - you were a worthy finalist
Kirk - you are indeed a god!!!
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I didn't know it at the time but I was on 13 maxes out of 13 and was on for a second ever max game. I chose 4 large to try and do a nice trick to finish off the final but saldy I couldn't spot one. I had never heard of GRANIVORE anyway (as my face showed) so the max game was never attainable. Shame.
I thought you might have been when I was watching at home, so was hoping you'd go for another one from the top, but I suppose when you're trying to win a grand final, it's not at the forefront of your mind.

Great game though, and great series.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:Holy shiitake, I haven't seen that Milky Way advert in years.
That was probably my all-time favourite advert growing up! But the new version has changes, and bad ones.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:That be the lovely Jonathan Yardley (aka Jay), the floor manager. When I first saw this pic of Craig's, I thought: is Rachel checking out Jay's bum? No, it probably just looks that way because of the camera angle. Then I saw the next one and laughed myself silly.
You have Jay's email address? :o
Facebook dear, facebook.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matthew Green wrote:Facebook dear, facebook.
Ah. I don't do Facebook.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:Facebook dear, facebook.
Ah. I don't do Facebook.
And thus, you don't do Jay.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Ah. I don't do Facebook.
And thus, you don't do Jay.
I think that was pretty much a given.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Holy shiitake, I haven't seen that Milky Way advert in years.
That was probably my all-time favourite advert growing up! But the new version has changes, and bad ones.
Agreed. Luckily, thanks to you tube, here's the old ad. I knew it was 'smart old blue' not 'good old blue'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXJL2hL6kI
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just realised that while I've read the messages, I haven't actually commented yet! Anyway a brilliant performance from Kirk, no surprise there then. Any commiserations Jimmy, looks like you weren't quite on top form, but then when your opponent gets maxes in each of the first 13 rounds, it's kinda hard to keep up.

Marin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Jon Corby wrote:Congratulations to Kirk and very well done Jimmy for making the final (and obviously playing well in it, but Kirk as usual was just something else!)

Awesome montage at the end as well, Image to whoever made that.

Roll on Series 61 !

Thanks Corby. Your hair looks great!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kate Horton wrote:Thanks Corby. Your hair looks great!
Thanks Kate! Makes Charlie's custom ranking of 'Random Baldy Bloke' look a bit daft now, he needs to change that. Although knowing him he'll probably just shop a bald head onto my new picture instead Image
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kate Horton wrote:Thanks Corby. Your hair looks great!
Thanks Kate! Makes Charlie's custom ranking of 'Random Baldy Bloke' look a bit daft now, he needs to change that. Although knowing him he'll probably just shop a bald head onto my new picture instead Image
I thought it was a photo of Rob Lowe!! When was this picture taken ...... or have you had a hair transplant?
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Philip Jarvis wrote:When was this picture taken ...... or have you had a hair transplant?
A couple of weeks ago, and it's all my own!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Just found this http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 335#p25335

How much did you get for it, Jimmy?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.