countdown recaps

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

countdown recaps

Post by Matt Coates »

hi, do recappers check a spelling pprogram or a maths program to get the right maxima?
i was looking at the following recap http://www.thecountdowncorral.com/cd/re ... ?recap=474 and its says the maxima for the 2nd numbers game is 7

the numbers were 1, 2, 9, 75, 25, 100 target 231
can be done by doing the following (100 + 25 -9) = 116 X 2 = 232 then minus the 1.

i think we should be keeping accurate records or whats the point, sorry for my rant and i respect all th work the recappers do, and if someone tells me how to do it i will be happy to do my share, Matt
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: countdown recaps

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Matt Coates wrote:hi, do recappers check a spelling pprogram or a maths program to get the right maxima?
i was looking at the following recap http://www.thecountdowncorral.com/cd/re ... ?recap=474 and its says the maxima for the 2nd numbers game is 7

the numbers were 1, 2, 9, 75, 25, 100 target 231
can be done by doing the following (100 + 25 -9) = 116 X 2 = 232 then minus the 1.

i think we should be keeping accurate records or whats the point, sorry for my rant and i respect all th work the recappers do, and if someone tells me how to do it i will be happy to do my share, Matt
Charlie Reams has devised a recapper where all you have to do is enter the overview (date, names, DC names etc) and then for each round the selection, the words/solutions offered and anything that was missed and the scores are all worked out for you.

The recapper can be found at the link below: http://www.thecountdowncorral.com/cd/recapwriter.asp

Also recommended is that you download a program called Countmax (mentioned in the link above) that shows all the words you can have in each round.

Hope this helps with your query :).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

(100/25-1)*(75+2) is better anyway ;)
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

ive been checking out some of your numbers solutions, very impressive Jon, also im gonna do the recap tomorrow now ive downloaded the program, hopefully it will give normal recappers time off, also can someone please add my name to the authors please, cheers
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Joseph has mentioned Countmax, which is a very useful tool for finding the maximum length words in any letters round. There's also a tool for finding the best numbers solutions; you'll find that here.

Some recappers use these tools when producing their recaps, but others do not, and consequently occasionally miss something. Also, they occasionally suggest words which prove to be invalid.

Eventually, recaps migrate to the Countdown Wiki, and once processed there the maximum for each round is found, whether or not it appears in the recap posted on the Corral. In the case of the game you were looking at, Matt, the Wiki recap is here, and you'll see that a 231 solution is given.

Good luck with your first recap, Matt. Hope you don't cock it up as much as I did with my first. :) In order to get the recap included in the Corral, you need to have a username and password there. Best way to get that is to PM Charlie.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

That numbers game probably wasn't put through a solver since it's a few years ago - the more recent ones tend to be more accurate. The recaps are not allocated on an ad hoc basis so if you want to do tomorrow's then please ask Dave C who is due to do Friday's. The reason why we have regular recappers, as I understand it, is because people volunteer for all sorts of things only to be less than enamoured once the onerous nature of the task is revealed to them. Besides people have been doing Dave C's recaps quite a few times now because he tends to post them a little later but it would be a bit of a drag if Dave works on a recap only to find it recapped here so please liaise with him first.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Coates wrote:i think we should be keeping accurate records or whats the point
That's like saying "Books often contain errors so what's the point of reading?" Words and solutions do occasionally get missed (much less these days), but it's always possible to recover them if we have a record of the selections. Having a maximum that's out by 3 points is no big deal.

Let me know once you've sorted things out with Dave Coulthurst and I will register you as a recapper and PM you the details. If you still think it's easy to keep accurate records then we could do with some help on the wiki...
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Coates wrote:i think we should be keeping accurate records or whats the point
That's like saying "Books often contain errors so what's the point of reading?"
Yeah I've read the Bible too

(joking)

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?