When is the Series 60 Final?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Alice Moore
Rookie

When is the Series 60 Final?

Post by Alice Moore »

When will the Series 60 final be aired? Is it next week? I've tried to find the answer to this question here and on Countdown Wiki, but I must have been using the wrong search terms or looking in the wrong places.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: When is the Series 60 Final?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hey Alice. 11th of June (that's next Thursday) according to http://www.countdownwiki.com/Series_60.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Actually, got a query of my own now, someone in the know could answer this.

Chris Kirby is currently on TV, say he was to win a total of four or more games, that would guarantee him a spot in the Series 60 finals.
By my understanding, he'd usually be due back to complete his chance at becoming an octochamp at the start of Series 61.

However, is this changed by the fact that he might end up getting into the Series 60 finals before his run is complete?
If not, if he were to complete an octorun at the start of Series 61, would he not then be eligible to take part in the Series 61 finals too?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Hey Alice. 11th of June (that's next Thursday) according to http://www.countdownwiki.com/Series_60.
That's not the final. That's quarter-final 1. Which will be followed by quarter-finals 2,3 & 4 and then semi-finals 1 & 2 and then the final on Friday 19th June.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Hey Alice. 11th of June (that's next Thursday) according to http://www.countdownwiki.com/Series_60.
No, that's the first quarter final. The final is a fortnight tomorrow, on June 19th.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
That's not the final. That's quarter-final 1. Which will be followed by quarter-finals 2,3 & 4 and then semi-finals 1 & 2 and then the final on Friday 19th June.
Apologies. I was answering for finalS, not final. Still, link says it all.

Any idea on my query Jon?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Can someone else please point out that I gave the date for the first quarter final, and not the grand final?
I probably won't understand until a couple more people have told me.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Actually, got a query of my own now, someone in the know could answer this.

Chris Kirby is currently on TV, say he was to win a total of four or more games, that would guarantee him a spot in the Series 60 finals.
By my understanding, he'd usually be due back to complete his chance at becoming an octochamp at the start of Series 61.

However, is this changed by the fact that he might end up getting into the Series 60 finals before his run is complete?
If not, if he were to complete an octorun at the start of Series 61, would he not then be eligible to take part in the Series 61 finals too?
The rules were changed on this a few years ago. Now you always get the opportunity to finish an octorun if you start one, so if Chris keeps winning he'll roll into next series. It just occurred to me that it's possible that a player could have enough wins to get into the finals of Series N, but continue into the next series and end up with not enough wins to get into the finals of Series N+1, which would be rather unfortunate.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Can someone else please point out that I gave the date for the first quarter final, and not the grand final?
I probably won't understand until a couple more people have told me.
Calm down dear. When I submitted my reply, for some reason I didn't get the usual warning that someone else had replied in the interim. As soon as I saw that Jon had also posted, I tried to delete mine - but by that point you'd replied to Jon so it wouldn't let me.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Following on from Charlie's post, if Chris were to reach 5 wins, presumably he could deliberately lose the sixth, ensuring a place in the Series 60 finals, rather than risking not qualifying for the Series 61 finals.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Clive Brooker wrote:Following on from Charlie's post, if Chris were to reach 5 wins, presumably he could deliberately lose the sixth, ensuring a place in the Series 60 finals, rather than risking not qualifying for the Series 61 finals.
If he wanted to face the wrath of Cate Henderson that is.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Clive Brooker wrote:Following on from Charlie's post, if Chris were to reach 5 wins, presumably he could deliberately lose the sixth, ensuring a place in the Series 60 finals, rather than risking not qualifying for the Series 61 finals.
The wins are carried on into the next series IIRC.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
The wins are carried on into the next series IIRC.
Yes, but 6 wins might not be enough for Series 61.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:The rules were changed on this a few years ago. Now you always get the opportunity to finish an octorun if you start one, so if Chris keeps winning he'll roll into next series.
In this case would that mean the poor guy's got to travel to two completely different places just to film his first run on the show?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Who's Chris?
Shouldn't this be in a spoiler thread?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

What's wrong with having to travel to 2 different places to film the show?

If anything, hardly anyone else will get the chance to do that.

Only those people who were on those shows when they had that short spell in Manchester when Des O'Connor was in charge will have had that opportunity.

Now someone else will get that chance too!
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

So to clarify:

Scenario 1: Chris loses tomorrow and that is the end of that.

Scenario 2: Chris wins tomorrow but loses on Monday he will be in the finals providing he scores more that 356 points (Current 8th seed Julie Russell's total)

Scenario 3: Chris wins tomorrow and Monday but loses on either Tuesday or Wednesday he will be in the final as either seed 7 or 8.

Scenario 4: Chris wins tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; then there is no chance of him being in the series 60 final; but he will return to the champions chair for episode one of series 61.

Am I right?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Douglas Wilson wrote:So to clarify:

Scenario 1: Chris loses tomorrow and that is the end of that.

Scenario 2: Chris wins tomorrow but loses on Monday he will be in the finals providing he scores more that 356 points (Current 8th seed Julie Russell's total)

Scenario 3: Chris wins tomorrow and Monday but loses on either Tuesday or Wednesday he will be in the final as either seed 7 or 8.

Scenario 4: Chris wins tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; then there is no chance of him being in the series 60 final; but he will return to the champions chair for episode one of series 61.

Am I right?
Haha, is that the 2nd one of these? http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 705#p45705

An excellent new trend!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

James Robinson wrote:Only those people who were on those shows when they had that short spell in Manchester when Des O'Connor was in charge will have had that opportunity.

Now someone else will get that chance too!
They did some recordings in Tyne-Tees once over. Possibly 2001.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:It just occurred to me that it's possible that a player could have enough wins to get into the finals of Series N, but continue into the next series and end up with not enough wins to get into the finals of Series N+1, which would be rather unfortunate.
Yeah, I've considered that before. It would be quite funny though.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, I knew that the finals of Series 60 will be on June 19, but I'm confused about something.

What caused the rule against retiring before the final to be changed in the first place? I thought it had always been that way because not having it that way would be unfair.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Yes, I knew that the finals of Series 60 will be on June 19, but I'm confused about something.

What caused the rule against retiring before the final to be changed in the first place? I thought it had always been that way because not having it that way would be unfair.
I think they used to have a choice of whether to carry on or go into the quarter finals, and they might make the decision based on the quality of the players in that series. It gives them a potential tactical advantage. Of course someone might then throw the last game of the series if they are guaranteed a place in the quarter finals and don't want to go into the next series!

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/gevinc ... ssage/7053
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That's actually the first quarter final. I'm surprised no-one else has spotted this.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I prefer it the way it is right now.