Underappreciated formats

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Underappreciated formats

Post by Ben Wilson »

Apterous isn't just 15-rounders and Speedgoat you know, there are a clutch of formats with their own leaderboards that deserve more recognition than they actually get. Such as...

Goat Attack
Letters attack, but in a goaty fashion. Immense fun, even if Paul Howe has somewhat ruined the whole 'let's try to break a record' aspect of it.

Speed Goat Attack
The same as above, only with 10 second rounds. Immense fun.

Lightning 15
10 seconds is just too much for some people. Real Countdowners play with 5 seconds on the clock.

Lightning Goatdown
Like the ever-popular Speedgoat, only for people with more courage.

Marathon
Proved briefly popular a while back before disappearing into obscurity. People just don't like endurance tests I suppose. Also comes in Goat flavour.

Apologies to Reams if I've just buggered up any future Aptochallenges. :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Underappreciated formats

Post by Kai Laddiman »

16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

I really enjoy marathons, but I can't seem to find any standard preset for it. Could one be constructed so that I don't end up with the games uncodified in one single place on stat page instead of constructing my own games? :) Anyone else who would enjoy marathons or other of these variants should declare it here; that way others have a good idea who will accept such challenges =)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I'd like a marathon.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:I really enjoy marathons, but I can't seem to find any standard preset for it. Could one be constructed so that I don't end up with the games uncodified in one single place on stat page instead of constructing my own games? :) Anyone else who would enjoy marathons or other of these variants should declare it here; that way others have a good idea who will accept such challenges =)
I'm pretty sure they're constructed like so:

L1
L2
L1
L2
N1
L2
L1
L2
L1
N2
L1
L2
L1
L2
N1
L2
L1
L2
L1
N2
L1
L2
L1
L2
N1
C

With apologies for lengthenating the thread.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Hehe I meant for if Charlie could add this as a preset format on apterous :) I've tended with Barry to play L1L2L1N2C, reverse, to about 26 rounds, inserting numbers at the end or something.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Daniel O'Dowd wrote:I really enjoy marathons, but I can't seem to find any standard preset for it. Could one be constructed so that I don't end up with the games uncodified in one single place on stat page instead of constructing my own games? :) Anyone else who would enjoy marathons or other of these variants should declare it here; that way others have a good idea who will accept such challenges =)

L1
L2
L1
L2
(etc.)
Cheers Ben, I tried setting myself up with one (or what I thought was one) a couple of months back but must've got something wrong, as it just came out as a Custom, but will give it another go now.

Relatedly (sort of) I played a few Speed Numbers Max Attacks a couple of weeks ago, which were fun, although it's probably too similar a format to the regular Numbers Attack to warrant its own score table or preset.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

JimBentley wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:

L1
L2
L1
L2
(etc.)
Cheers Ben, I tried setting myself up with one (or what I thought was one) a couple of months back but must've got something wrong, as it just came out as a Custom, but will give it another go now.

Relatedly (sort of) I played a few Speed Numbers Max Attacks a couple of weeks ago, which were fun, although it's probably too similar a format to the regular Numbers Attack to warrant its own score table or preset.
Perhaps we need a few 'high score table requests' threads in which case my vote would go to 'Hyper Letters Attack' and '100 rounder', but I can understand Charlie not wanting it too crowded in there.