Firefox + Java

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Firefox + Java

Post by Darren Carter »

I used to play Apterous on Firefox but have just reinstalled Windows and now it no longer works on Firefox. I have installed the latest Java and the game works fine on IE, but when you try to play it on Firefox, it just pops the window up and says 'Done'. Any ideas on how to get it to work on FF?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Bug reports

Post by Charlie Reams »

Darren Carter wrote:I used to play Apterous on Firefox but have just reinstalled Windows and now it no longer works on Firefox. I have installed the latest Java and the game works fine on IE, but when you try to play it on Firefox, it just pops the window up and says 'Done'. Any ideas on how to get it to work on FF?
What version of Firefox?

Also, please don't post this sort of thing in Bug Reports, it's not my fault that Firefox is shit.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:I used to play Apterous on Firefox but have just reinstalled Windows and now it no longer works on Firefox. I have installed the latest Java and the game works fine on IE, but when you try to play it on Firefox, it just pops the window up and says 'Done'. Any ideas on how to get it to work on FF?
What version of Firefox?

Also, please don't post this sort of thing in Bug Reports, it's not my fault that Firefox is shit.
Sorry. It's version 3.0.10 - which I am sure is the same version I used to play it on before the OS reload.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Re: Firefox + Java

Post by Darren Carter »

And when I try to play it on IE 64-bit, it says that Java isn't installed correctly - but it works fine on normal IE.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:Also, please don't post this sort of thing in Bug Reports, it's not my fault that Firefox is shit.
What sort of statement is this, you heretic? Next thing you'll be telling us to use Internet Explorer.

But no, sounds a bit shit Darren, I've never had any problems with FF.
First thing I thought was some sort of caching issue where it was trying to reload the Java applet because it thought it already had it downloaded, but that is impossible if you've just reinstalled Windows.
The only suggestion I can make is to make sure Java is the default processing engine for Firefox. Go to the Java control panel section, Advanced > Default Java for browsers > make sure Mozilla family is ticked. You could also try toggling the 'next generation plug-in' option on the same page under Java plug-in.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Matt Morrison wrote: The only suggestion I can make is to make sure Java is the default processing engine for Firefox. Go to the Java control panel section, Advanced > Default Java for browsers > make sure Mozilla family is ticked. You could also try toggling the 'next generation plug-in' option on the same page under Java plug-in.
Cheers Matt, sorted now. The Mozilla family thing was ticked, but I tried unticking the 'next generation plug-in' option and it now works. :D
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Firefox can run Apterous on my laptop but not my desktop computer. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The new Firefox (3.5) is just around the corner (beta available for a couple of months) so that might help clear up Java issues too.

Glad the 'next gen plug-in' helped you Darren. I've got it ticked on mine, and it makes no difference either way. Most odd.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Is anyone else who uses firefox experiencing the incredibly annoying feature that the popup for a round is sometimes sent physically behind the next window in sequence, but you cannot just reclick on to the round, you have to alt tab or click out then in again? I don't know how to stop this.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:Is anyone else who uses firefox experiencing the incredibly annoying feature that the popup for a round is sometimes sent physically behind the next window in sequence, but you cannot just reclick on to the round, you have to alt tab or click out then in again? I don't know how to stop this.
Yep, happens to me as well.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:Is anyone else who uses firefox experiencing the incredibly annoying feature that the popup for a round is sometimes sent physically behind the next window in sequence, but you cannot just reclick on to the round, you have to alt tab or click out then in again? I don't know how to stop this.
Yep mine does that occasionally. Hence why I am even worse than usual on the blind duels....
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Happens to me as well. Would be nice to find out if there's some workaround for it.