Where Have The Greats Gone?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Where Have The Greats Gone?

Post by Douglas Wilson »

I've just spent a few minute browsing the apterous players list, apterous forum and also the forum for events such as COLIN and COBRIS. What struck me was how little some former greats such as Gallen, Shore, Tourneoff and Travers are involved in the Countdown community these days.

I was just wondering if anybody knew if this is down to other commitments such as family/work/studying or if they feel that they have achieved all they can in the game by appearing (and in Gallen's case winning) CoC?

My main reason for wondering as it seems a big contrast to the likes of Charlie, Junaid, Corby etc who's passion for the game seems to have if anything intensified since achieving all they can on the TV version.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Where Have The Greats Gone?

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Douglas Wilson wrote:I've just spent a few minute browsing the apterous players list, apterous forum and also the forum for events such as COLIN and COBRIS. What struck me was how little some former greats such as Gallen, Shore, Tourneoff and Travers are involved in the Countdown community these days.

I was just wondering if anybody knew if this is down to other commitments such as family/work/studying or if they feel that they have achieved all they can in the game by appearing (and in Gallen's case winning) CoC?

My main reason for wondering as it seems a big contrast to the likes of Charlie, Junaid, Corby etc who's passion for the game seems to have if anything intensified since achieving all they can on the TV version.
Out of the first four you list only Travers frequented these forums. I think he still has an interest in Countdown but has generally moved on. I think it would be hard for me to move on easily. Tournoff and Gallen still post but extremely rarely (and hardly ever posted so it's not as if their posting numbers have decreased) and I'm not even Shore knows this place exists.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I'm not even Shore knows this place exists.
Nice :lol: :lol: :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Mark has entered a couple of tourneys but I don't think he likes the online play too much; Conor is bound to be sick of Countdown by now, and; Paul is a seriously good Scrabble player and has thusly been converted by the good book.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:Mark has entered a couple of tourneys but I don't think he likes the online play too much; Conor is bound to be sick of Countdown by now, and; Paul is a seriously good Scrabble player and has thusly been converted by the good book.
Indeed, Paul would've been playing in the World Scrabble Championship but apparently he's busy with exams. He's still Northern Ireland champ though.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rich Priest wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I'm not even Shore knows this place exists.
Nice :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haha I had to read it three or four times before I realised why you were laughing. I wish I was good with wordplay.
Paul Gallen

Post by Paul Gallen »

I still read the forum but don't watch the programme anymore so it's difficult for me to contribute to most threads!
I watched the programme for about a month after I had finished recording the C of C and it was clear that the motivation and enjoyment for the game had gone. Watching it was becoming a chore and it was clear to me at that point, a few years ago, that my heart wasn't in it anymore. In the 10 years that I watched the programme, the motivation was to get on the programme and now that is not present anymore. I've enjoyed my time watching the show but Scrabble was something that I had been putting off for years due to the dictionary differences - now the enjoyment I got out of Countdown has been rekindled in Scrabble. Furthermore, now Collins is my main dictionary, polluting myself with Oxford words would not be a good idea!
Also, I put in a lot of work for the C of C over a continuous period of two years and I think that I exhausted what I could do. I realise that others have continued to play Countdown but it is not for me in my experience.

I am currently doing my solicitor training at the moment so I start to doubt whether I have the time to keep going with Scrabble also! Not being able to go to WSC 2009 is a disappointment but hopefully I can go another time in the future.

Paul
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Paul Gallen wrote:Furthermore, now Collins is my main dictionary, polluting myself with Oxford words would not be a good idea!
Apterous has a Collins mode you know. ;) Good to hear from you, though- will you be at the BMSC?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Paul Gallen wrote:I still read the forum but don't watch the programme anymore so it's difficult for me to contribute to most threads!
I watched the programme for about a month after I had finished recording the C of C and it was clear that the motivation and enjoyment for the game had gone. Watching it was becoming a chore and it was clear to me at that point, a few years ago, that my heart wasn't in it anymore. In the 10 years that I watched the programme, the motivation was to get on the programme and now that is not present anymore.

Paul
Real shame to hear that Paul. Would have liked to have seen you compete against the likes of Chris Davies and Kirk on apterous.

Seems to happen to a lot of the greats, they retire early, become disinterested etc. Maybe it becomes too intense, like a good gunfighter, everyone is out to gun you down and the enjoyment factor goes, who knows (certainly not me lol).

ps. Are the Scrabble tournaments ever televised?
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Ben Wilson wrote:Seems to happen to a lot of the greats, they retire early, become disinterested etc.
I think they call it "getting a life".
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Malcolm James wrote:
What - by playing competitive Scrabble? Hmm...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Malcolm James wrote:
What - by playing competitive Scrabble? Hmm...
Hahaha, excellent.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Are the Scrabble tournaments ever televised?
For a brief period around 15 years ago Scrabble was on the BBC. In USA one of the events was televised for a while (think it was the best-of-5 part of the nationals), including one incident when one of the finalists played LEZ and the match was halted for a while before it was decided that the move was to be retaken as the word was on the ESPN's naughty word list.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Kirk Bevins wrote:What - by playing competitive Scrabble? Hmm...
Clearly some people wouldn't know a life if it got up and hit them on the nose.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Craig Beevers wrote:
For a brief period around 15 years ago Scrabble was on the BBC. In USA one of the events was televised for a while (think it was the best-of-5 part of the nationals), including one incident when one of the finalists played LEZ and the match was halted for a while before it was decided that the move was to be retaken as the word was on the ESPN's naughty word list.
They've missed a trick there. Everyone would watch televised scrabble if naughty words kept coming up.
Malcolm James wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:What - by playing competitive Scrabble? Hmm...
Clearly some people wouldn't know a life if it got up and hit them on the nose.
Wow what a tyrant. If someone wants to spend their life playing scrabble let them.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Cheers Craig. They should try televising it again, maybe a speed version like speed chess.

ps. hopefully we will see you take on the apterous Dons: Kirk and Chris Davies in the 15 rounds format, sometime in the future. Could be some classic matches. :)