Official Thread of Brag

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Official Thread of Brag

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Man, that's such a pointless thing to do. If the game's over and you can't win then just let the other guy get his max.
Srsly? If I were on for a max I would totally not want my opponent to not try on the conundrum, would taint it for me if they did. Each to their own, I guess.
You can't really "max" the conundrum anyway, it's just an aesthetic thing, so I'd apply WP:DICK.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:You can't really "max" the conundrum anyway, it's just an aesthetic thing, so I'd apply WP:DICK.
Perhaps add "max games (ignoring conundrums)" to statland?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:You can't really "max" the conundrum anyway, it's just an aesthetic thing, so I'd apply WP:DICK.
Perhaps add "max games (ignoring conundrums)" to statland?
Might have some amusing consequences for Conundrum Attacks.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:Might have some amusing consequences for Conundrum Attacks.
It would seem you have seen through my cunning plan to get onto a max games list.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Man, that's such a pointless thing to do. If the game's over and you can't win then just let the other guy get his max.
Srsly? If I were on for a max I would totally not want my opponent to not try on the conundrum, would taint it for me if they did. Each to their own, I guess.
IAWTP. If I were to look back, knowing that my opponent let me have the conundrum I'd feel it would take away from the achievement, I mean you've worked really hard in the other 14 rounds, why not for 1 more, of course I'd be annoyed, but then I'd have more drive to see out all 15 rounds with a max game.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
IAWTP. If I were to look back, knowing that my opponent let me have the conundrum I'd feel it would take away from the achievement, I mean you've worked really hard in the other 14 rounds, why not for 1 more, of course I'd be annoyed, but then I'd have more drive to see out all 15 rounds with a max game.
So you'd be happy to lose a max game because you're playing Craig Beevers and he gets some easy conundrum in 0.7 seconds, even though you could've played in the exact same way against Apterous Prune and got a max? The whole point of maxes is that they're supposed to measure your performance independently of your opponent's performance, so to lose a max game because of something that depends entirely on your opponent's performance would really annoy me. If the game is still live and the 10 points can make the difference between winning and losing then of course you have to play for it, but otherwise it's the difference between being part of a memorable game and just being totally annoying to your opponent. Same with picking 6 small in the final numbers or something -- if the game's alive then fine, but doing it just to keep your opponent's score down is just totally pointless and annoying.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:So you'd be happy to lose a max game because you're playing Craig Beevers and he gets some easy conundrum in 0.7 seconds, even though you could've played in the exact same way against Apterous Prune and got a max? The whole point of maxes is that they're supposed to measure your performance independently of your opponent's performance, so to lose a max game because of something that depends entirely on your opponent's performance would really annoy me. If the game is still live and the 10 points can make the difference between winning and losing then of course you have to play for it, but otherwise it's the difference between being part of a memorable game and just being totally annoying to your opponent. Same with picking 6 small in the final numbers or something -- if the game's alive then fine, but doing it just to keep your opponent's score down is just totally pointless and annoying.
Maybe we should call such cases 'Bennetting'.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Probably my most satisfying pencil ever. Played for and got. :) Needless to say, it was also by miles a pb in the format.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Charlie Reams wrote:If the game is still live and the 10 points can make the difference between winning and losing then of course you have to play for it, but otherwise it's the difference between being part of a memorable game and just being totally annoying to your opponent. Same with picking 6 small in the final numbers or something -- if the game's alive then fine, but doing it just to keep your opponent's score down is just totally pointless and annoying.
I find the obsession with max games quite amusing - mainly because I'll never get one. I agree with Michael and Eoin, I don't want to be gifted a conundrum or an easy numbers pick, and if I feel a trickier numbers pick would make the scoreline more respectable then I'd do it whether it spoils a possible max game or not. Play against prune if you're that desperate for perfection.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ben Wilson wrote:Probably my most satisfying pencil ever. Played for and got. :) Needless to say, it was also by miles a pb in the format.
Truly sexy. Funny I was thinking about how sweet it would be to get that word the other day as it popped up in a 24 I was watching.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I find the obsession with max games quite amusing - mainly because I'll never get one.
We'll ignore your numbers attack obsession from last year then? ;)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I find the obsession with max games quite amusing - mainly because I'll never get one.
We'll ignore your numbers attack obsession from last year then? ;)
Oh I still have that burning desire to get 20/20 on conundrums too at some point, but that obsession was to get the "magic" 200 (and before anyone else too). If you define a "max game" as being a perfect score in a 9rd or 15rd format, my point still stands (I think, certainly on the me never getting one front anyway).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Chris got a max game today just as the database was failing. I've spent a fun hour trawling the logs and trying to reconstruct it; still something of a work in progress, but you can see most of the important stuff here.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:Chris got a max game today just as the database was failing. I've spent a fun hour trawling the logs and trying to reconstruct it; still something of a work in progress, but you can see most of the important stuff here.
Excellent. That game more than any exemplifies the notion that hard work and persistence pays off. Many times did he stumble, and several times did he nearly give up, but he kept knocking at that door and in the end he achieved his goal and set a precedent for us all to follow. He would have scored three points too if Chris hadn't declared PIRAGUA in the same round.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Charlie Reams wrote:Chris got a max game today just as the database was failing. I've spent a fun hour trawling the logs and trying to reconstruct it; still something of a work in progress, but you can see most of the important stuff here.
Cheers!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Excellent. That game more than any exemplifies the notion that hard work and persistence pays off. Many times did he stumble, and several times did he nearly give up, but he kept knocking at that door and in the end he achieved his goal and set a precedent for us all to follow. He would have scored three points too if Chris hadn't declared PIRAGUA in the same round.
I think this is called "dogged determination".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ah, Dame Theatre - such a stern yet forgiving mistress. She tempts me from the path of righteousness with words like GAUZES, which are apparently not in the dictionary despite being heard twenty times a day in theatres up and down the land; but then nourishes me with a lovely 9 in yesterday's Duel. There really is no business like it.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I lost but put up a good game of goatblitz against apterous legend Chris Davies: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=56708
Phil Reynolds wrote:I think this is called "dogged determination".
LOL'd heartily.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=56604

Finally, I managed to beat Innis.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Yay, a max game against the Goughinator:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=57419
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=57542

Epic battle, two centuries scored. Would have gotten a mighty score had I not rejected DROOPED for the sole reason that I convinced myself there was only one D.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

A 7 max game against a series champion, thought I'd lost it when Junaid got MISDATED (brilliant btw). I got MAROONS in the last second and just beat Junaid to the conundrum.
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=57697
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Yup, well played Eoin, I spotted MAROONS just too late. This defeat inspired the following performance the very next game so i won't complain too much

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=57700
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Junaid and Eoin's games inspired me to get 125 in my next Goatdown: http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=57714

Personal best :D
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Scalp! :D

After eiretic though, I think I want to burn the CSW :lol:
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=57858

Innis and I got a joint score of 246.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=58180

Very proud of this one, even though I lost. Standard 15: Kirk 110, me 96.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Chris Davies wrote:I'm thrilled with this. :D
That's almost certainly the best max game yet and, given that the vast majority of games played are 15 rounders, probably therefore the best game in Apterous history. Seriously, absolutely ridiculous. And not even any discussion about the conundrum.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

My best 15-round score. Pleased with the 9s, but perhaps ought to have maxed in the 3 rounds I missed? Still chuffed, though.
Last edited by Stuart Arnot on Mon May 11, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Stuart Arnot wrote:My best 15-round score. Pleased with the 9s, but perhaps ought to have maxed in the 3 rounds I missed? Still chuffed, though.
Are you claiming the 84 or the 140? :D
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Stuart Arnot wrote:My best 15-round score. Pleased with the 9s, but perhaps ought to have maxed in the 3 rounds I missed? Still chuffed, though.
Are you claiming the 84 or the 140? :D
Haha!! Whoops. :oops: edited!!

EDIT: I've now edited this post, as I realised that I was still propagating this mistake. The link in the quote above now links to the correct game.
Last edited by Stuart Arnot on Mon May 11, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Stuart Arnot wrote:My best 15-round score.
Shit, that's a fucking good effort. Very nice mate, well done. I remember when you first joined and we were about the same standard.... sigh.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Charlie Reams wrote:
That's almost certainly the best max game yet and, given that the vast majority of games played are 15 rounders, probably therefore the best game in Apterous history. Seriously, absolutely ridiculous. And not even any discussion about the conundrum.
Cheers!
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Callum Laddiman »

Chris Davies wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Cheers!
Sheer Quality.
Oh, don't you just love pets..... Ahhhhhhh......
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=59940

Beat my personal 15 round record :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Hoorah! finally got something to brag about:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60140

:D

Sorry Kirk, I was just lucky that you missed the nine. ;)
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

First 13 max game in a while, and my first -2 game. Shame it was at half one in the morning, otherwise who knows? Daisies! :)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60672

Another 7 out of 9 max speed 9 game.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60735 and http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60749

Two 100+ games in a row with two nines in each; the first nine in the first game made me shed tears.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60735 and http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60749

Two 100+ games in a row with two nines in each; the first nine in the first game made me shed tears.
Haha, you love your OIDIA.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
J.Levison
Rookie

Post by J.Levison »

After starting off as pretty mediocre, averaging about 52 and a poor rating, i've put a lot of effort into getting better, remembering some of the more obscure words (sarcoid,laaities) and remembering when i've found moaners and add d,t,h,u,c etc i can turn my 7 into and 8. Today i finally managed to get above the 1000 rating mark! Something i'm quite proud of. Managed to up my average to about 70-80. Really want my first 100 game now.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=61237

As a return to relative form this is pleasing; albeit I could class it as scrag for the maxes I did miss.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60735 and http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=60749

Haha, you love your OIDIA.
it sonds like IDEA, that's why i lik it. ity's like why i like aperitif. sounds like operative. aaaace
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=61645

Another max game. :D
*yawn*
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ben Hunter wrote:ity's like why i like aperitif. sounds like operative. aaaace
I like it cos it sounds like "A pair o' teeth" Think there was a TTT once with a clue to this effect: Noshes for your gnashers or something. Also SPITFIRE + A = APERITIFS has rewarded me greatly throughout apterousing history.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=61645

Another max game. :D
First max game with an impossible numbers? Impressive honesty mate, well done.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Impressive honesty mate, well done.
Huh? Why am I honest?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Impressive honesty mate, well done.
Huh? Why am I honest?
Yeh; he's a teacher, for Pete's sake.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Yeh; he's a teacher, for Pete's sake.
Probably not for much longer I hasten to add.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=62264

Not so much brag as really solid performance here; only r13 disappoints me.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=62404

Not played HNA in ages, the recent duels sort-of restored my taste for it. Pretty pleased to be ahead of the max for a few rounds before a few cock-ups spoiled what could've been a phenomenal run. Worth noting though the cock-ups were all on prune's 1-large rounds- if only I'd taken on Caesar...
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Really proud of this one, new hypergoatundrum attack record and not too many gimmes. Chuffed with rd 5 too, although looking at it again it was kind of spelled out a bit :mrgreen:

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=62430
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Paul Howe wrote:Chuffed with rd 5 too, although looking at it again it was kind of spelled out a bit
I think that merits a comment from Dictionary Corner.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=62843

Easily my best ever speedgoat, picked 3 nines, bizarrely enough though I'm proudest of the R11 pick rather than the R1 or R5.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

First time I've ever maxed any kind of game:

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=65294

Also lots of darrens there, which is arguably interesting.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »