One or two large?

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

One or two large?

Post by Oliver Garner »

It doesn't seem to show it now but when I last looked at the relevant statland page, it showed that 2 large is most likely to be possible, and for a while I always chose 2 large. However, I did a numbers attack recently against Prune, choosing almost entirely 1 large and got 190, making a error in calculation on the other one. Therefore, I started going one large again and have found these games easier. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: One or two large?

Post by Michael Wallace »

Oliver Garner wrote:It doesn't seem to show it now but when I last looked at the relevant statland page, it showed that 2 large is most likely to be possible, and for a while I always chose 2 large. However, I did a numbers attack recently against Prune, choosing almost entirely 1 large and got 190, making a error in calculation on the other one. Therefore, I started going one large again and have found these games easier. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I think the generally accepted opinion is that whilst 2 large gives you a higher chance of it being solvable, 1 large tends to be 'easier'.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Oliver Garner wrote:It doesn't seem to show it now but when I last looked at the relevant statland page, it showed that 2 large is most likely to be possible, and for a while I always chose 2 large. However, I did a numbers attack recently against Prune, choosing almost entirely 1 large and got 190, making a error in calculation on the other one. Therefore, I started going one large again and have found these games easier. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I think the generally accepted opinion is that whilst 2 large gives you a higher chance of it being solvable, 1 large tends to be 'easier'.
Yeah, I have also noticed that in hyper numbers, 5 large has the highest chance of being solvable even the solutions for 2 large look more doable
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Exactly this. 1 large is easier as it is more intuitive to solve and less (sensible) routes to check but as a computer can solve any, a computer should pick 2 large and a human should pick 1 large. In theory.