Spoilers for Wednesday 22nd April

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Harrison
Rookie

Spoilers for Wednesday 22nd April

Post by Mark Harrison »

R2: SMUTTIER (I think it was round 2 - whichever round it was that DC got DETRITUS)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 22nd April

Post by JackHurst »

I found James's conundrum attempt absolutely hillarious, i think there must be somethign wrong with me.

Im not sure if these topics are the place to discuss the contestants, but James eems to represent all the things i hate about countdown. Does anyone else feel the same?
Louise Bambury

Post by Louise Bambury »

I feel the same, but that's because he beat me :-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JackHurst wrote:Im not sure if these topics are the place to discuss the contestants, but James eems to represent all the things i hate about countdown. Does anyone else feel the same?
Totally opposite for me Jack, I think he represents the best of what Countdown brings to people.
Let's not beat about the bush, he's clearly, for want of a better word, a geek. We're all geeky to some extent here but you know what I mean.
But Countdown (and his ability at the game) seems to have given him a confidence, a warm personality, and a social ability that are rarely enjoyed by 'geeks'.

So I think it's great, he seems really likeable to me. Compare him to other contestants in the geek mould that we've had on recently - can't think of names but there have been a couple that have come across as cringeworthily uncomfortable while Jeff talks to them about some obscure hobby or other.
I'd much rather spend an hour with James than with Richard Brittain, put it that way.
JackHurst wrote:I found James's conundrum attempt absolutely hillarious, i think there must be somethign wrong with me.
I got it in 3 seconds. Worth mentioning as that's fucking rare for me. But yes, there's probably something wrong with you.

EDIT: Just noticed James is on the forum. I hate calling people 'geeks' as it sounds so derogatory, but it wasn't meant that way (I was literally wanting for a better word). However, I'm not editing my post as I think it's complimentary enough to warrant using just one negatively perceived word. Plus James spoiled the result of his run in his very first post on this forum, and that pisses me off. The geek.
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Matt Morrison wrote: I got it in 3 seconds. Worth mentioning as that's fucking rare for me. But yes, there's probably something wrong with you.
Same, 'genuine' stook out like a sore thumb and then there was only an 'l' and a 'y' left.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Darren Carter wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: I got it in 3 seconds. Worth mentioning as that's fucking rare for me. But yes, there's probably something wrong with you.
Same, 'genuine' stook out like a sore thumb and then there was only an 'l' and a 'y' left.
That succinctly sums up how shit I am at Countdown - I see LY and then start looking for the rest of it!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:
That succinctly sums up how shit I am at Countdown - I see LY and then start looking for the rest of it!
That's normal :|
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

That's OK, Matt, I don't mind being called a geek. It's better than being called that popular rhyming slang for a merchant banker! Having watched the show now, I'm slightly disappointed, as I normally find GENUINE when it's in a letters game. Interestingly I also got the first numbers game after a couple of seconds, not bad since I didn't get it on the show!

P.S. At least you didn't see the bit cut out at the end of the conundrum!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:That's OK, Matt, I don't mind being called a geek. It's better than being called that popular rhyming slang for a merchant banker! Having watched the show now, I'm slightly disappointed, as I normally find GENUINE when it's in a letters game. Interestingly I also got the first numbers game after a couple of seconds, not bad since I didn't get it on the show!

P.S. At least you didn't see the bit cut out at the end of the conundrum!
Hey James - glad you took it the right way!

What happened at the end of the conundrum?

Oh, and you mentioned being a Bond fan on the show - have a go at this.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well, soon as the time ran out, Jeff said "You GENUINELY didn't get it, did you?" and I immediately replied by saying "No", followed immediately by the audience groaning and me putting my head in my hands in shame!

Stupid me falling for that old sausage! :oops: :oops:

P.S. Thanks for that Bond link, Matt!
Last edited by James Robinson on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

They were deceptive letters today, I thought - they looked like they should yield higher scores than they did - I kept on thinking that I must be missing bigger words, but they weren't there. Maybe I'm confused by thinking that Tim Vine is really Peter Davison.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:Well, soon as the time ran out, Jeff said "You GENUINELY didn't get it, did you?" and I immediately replied by saying "No", followed immediately by the audience groaning and me putting my head in my hands in shame!
Haha brilliant. No joke, when I was watching it I fully expected Jeff to say that, and was really confused when he didn't!
I wonder why it was cut out, surely the production team aren't getting sick of Jeff's cheesy puns? :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm with Jack on this one I think.

Tim Vine is a super-awesome DC guest.

Louise Bambury is VERY lovely, gutted she (you) lost :(

James is a bit of an arrogant nob, who I still haven't forgiven for spoiling about a dozen shows with his first fucking post about a month ago.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Louise was very good. Could have been an octochamp.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JackHurst wrote:I found James's conundrum attempt absolutely hillarious, i think there must be somethign wrong with me.

Im not sure if these topics are the place to discuss the contestants, but James eems to represent all the things i hate about countdown. Does anyone else feel the same?
I didn't like the fists in the air thing after beating Karyn yesterday either. But that might just be me. I'm drawn towards modesty and humility, I find it endearing.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm with Jack on this one I think.
Jon Corby wrote:I didn't like the fists in the air thing after beating Karyn yesterday either. But that might just be me. I'm drawn towards modesty and humility, I find it endearing.
Oh dear, I'm finding myself agreeing with everything Jon posts lately. Should I be worried?? This isn't like when you buy the Daily Mail just to get the free DVD and find yourself finding everything Amanda Platell writes abhorrent, but then as the weeks go by you seem to start agreeing with her is it?

Not that I'm suggesting Jon was ever like any Daily Mail columnists . . . I just mean the persuasive effect.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jon Corby wrote: Tim Vine is a super-awesome DC guest.
I sometimes watch most the countdown episodes round my granparents house (How cool am I?!), and they hate Tim Vine so much. There must be a generational divide. I also didnt know that his brother was the part time egg heads presenter.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:'genuine' stook out like a sore thumb and then there was only an 'l' and a 'y' left.
I'm worse than that. What stood out for me was the -ING, so I spent the first 15 seconds looking for a word with that suffix. Then I spent the next 10 seconds looking for a word with an -ILY suffix. Then I spent the last 5 seconds panicking. What I'd be like if I actually got on the show Kirk only knows.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm worse than that. What stood out for me was the -ING, so I spent the first 15 seconds looking for a word with that suffix. Then I spent the next 10 seconds looking for a word with an -ILY suffix. Then I spent the last 5 seconds panicking. What I'd be like if I actually got on the show Kirk only knows.
Almost identical with me, Phil
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

[quote="Jon Corby
I didn't like the fists in the air thing after beating Karyn yesterday either. But that might just be me. I'm drawn towards modesty and humility, I find it endearing.[/quote]

I thought he was a bad loser and an even worse winner.

It seemed that when he got a reasonable solution fairly quickly he then fidgeted, drummed his pen or fingers, drank water excessively, etc to distract his opponent. During the last numbers game he banged his glass down and rifted while Pat was still counting.
I thought he was the worst mannered and ungracious contestants for a long while.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'd guess from James's speech patterns that he's slightly autistic, which would excuse some of the faux pas that made people dislike him. I'm surprised no one commented on this before, given the highly-tuned aut-dar possessed by some of our number.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well done for recognising that Charlie. I actually have Asperger's syndrome, to be completely official. I believe that's what Jeffrey Hansford (or whatever his name was) from Series 57 had as well. Interestingly, I actually share the same birthday as Mr Asperger, after whom the syndrome was named.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Charlie Reams wrote:I'd guess from James's speech patterns that he's slightly autistic, which would excuse some of the faux pas that made people dislike him. I'm surprised no one commented on this before, given the highly-tuned aut-dar possessed by some of our number.
I'd been thinking exactly the same, but had refrained from commenting, as it does raise the question of what is appropriate to post about what is perceived as unusual behaviour. (Do you not mention the behaviour, note it without labelling it, or try to explain it by giving it a label?)

I also wonder if some of the symptoms of autism and Aspergers might actually be linked in with the ability to spot patterns in numbers and letters - there is, in my experience, an uncanny ability of some musicians with Aspergers to excel at music, where dealing with thousands of varying patterns is a vital skill.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Brian Moore wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I'd guess from James's speech patterns that he's slightly autistic, which would excuse some of the faux pas that made people dislike him. I'm surprised no one commented on this before, given the highly-tuned aut-dar possessed by some of our number.
I'd been thinking exactly the same, but had refrained from commenting, as it does raise the question of what is appropriate to post about what is perceived as unusual behaviour. (Do you not mention the behaviour, note it without labelling it, or try to explain it by giving it a label?)

I also wonder if some of the symptoms of autism and Aspergers might actually be linked in with the ability to spot patterns in numbers and letters - there is, in my experience, an uncanny ability of some musicians with Aspergers to excel at music, where dealing with thousands of varying patterns is a vital skill.
I agree. I wonder whether this is one of the rare cases where the PC term "differently skilled" is actually appropriate: people on the "autism spectrum" do often have very "different" skills that so-called "normal" people can only dream of.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote:Well done for recognising that Charlie. I actually have Asperger's syndrome, to be completely official. I believe that's what Jeffrey Hansford (or whatever his name was) from Series 57 had as well. Interestingly, I actually share the same birthday as Mr Asperger, after whom the syndrome was named.
Ah, that makes sense. I think you came across better than Jeffrey, in the sense that it was immediately obvious that he was in some way unusual, whereas you just seemed rather confident.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Does anyone not have an alternative to the 1st numbers game :!: :?:

I've got 3 here.

10 + 4 = 14

14 x 6 = 84

84 - 1 = 83

3 x 3 = 9

9 x 83 = 747

No.2:

10 x 4 = 40

40 + 1 = 41

41 x 6 = 246

246 + 3 = 249

249 x 3 = 747

No.3:

10 x 3 = 30

30 + 1 = 31

6 x 4 = 24

31 x 24 = 744

744 + 3 = 747
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Jon Corby wrote:Does anyone not have an alternative to the 1st numbers game :!: :?:

I've got 3 here.

10 + 4 = 14

14 x 6 = 84

84 - 1 = 83

3 x 3 = 9

9 x 83 = 747

No.2:

10 x 4 = 40

40 + 1 = 41

41 x 6 = 246

246 + 3 = 249

249 x 3 = 747

No.3:

10 x 3 = 30

30 + 1 = 31

6 x 4 = 24

31 x 24 = 744

744 + 3 = 747
Impressive - and all in only 6 months.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Davy Affleck wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Does anyone not have an alternative to the 1st numbers game :!: :?:

I've got 3 here.

10 + 4 = 14

14 x 6 = 84

84 - 1 = 83

3 x 3 = 9

9 x 83 = 747

No.2:

10 x 4 = 40

40 + 1 = 41

41 x 6 = 246

246 + 3 = 249

249 x 3 = 747

No.3:

10 x 3 = 30

30 + 1 = 31

6 x 4 = 24

31 x 24 = 744

744 + 3 = 747
Impressive - and all in only 6 months.
No, I did them all in the 30 seconds. I just forgot to post them.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:No, I did them all in the 30 seconds. I just forgot to post them.
Dear me, you're just an annoying little c**t, aren't you, Corby?

Why don't you just go back to making trouser presses or whatever it is you do.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:No, I did them all in the 30 seconds. I just forgot to post them.

James, please don't say "cunt" on the forum.

Thanks,
The Moderator
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Cue the Yo Mama joke
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Dear me, you're just an annoying little c**t, aren't you, Corby?

James, please don't say "cunt" on the forum.

Thanks,
The Moderator
Oops, sorry Charlie. :oops:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:

I don't get it.

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Dear me, you're just an annoying little c**t, aren't you, Corby?

I don't get it.
Have you never heard of a Corby trouser press :?:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

I don't get it.
Have you never heard of a Corby trouser press :?:
Erm... dunno really. Sort of rings a bell I suppose. What is it?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:Erm... dunno really. Sort of rings a bell I suppose. What is it?
It's a press for steaming trousers, so that there are less wrinkles on it.
It was developed by a John Corby from Windsor in 1930, hence the reference to you.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

James Robinson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Erm... dunno really. Sort of rings a bell I suppose. What is it?
It was developed by a John Corby from Windsor in 1930, hence the reference to you.
Shouldn't you be putting golliwogs on the side of marmalade jars?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Hunter wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Shouldn't you be putting golliwogs on the side of marmalade jars?
He can't, Kirk's had them all deported :(
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Shouldn't you be putting golliwogs on the side of marmalade jars?
More jobs for Kirk. I can't wait to start seeing his face on the side of marmalade jars.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:Shouldn't you be putting golliwogs on the side of marmalade jars?
More jobs for Kirk. I can't wait to start seeing his face on the side of marmalade jars.
I think you'll find that was ROBERTSON'S jam, not ROBINSON'S jam.
I'll stick to my fruit squash, thank you.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

James Robinson wrote:I think you'll find that was ROBERTSON'S jam, not ROBINSON'S jam.
Told. Though maybe I wasn't so much implying you had the same name as marmalade jars as I was suggesting you're a massive racist.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Hunter wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I think you'll find that was ROBERTSON'S jam, not ROBINSON'S jam.
Told. Though maybe I wasn't so much implying you had the same name as marmalade jars as I was suggesting you're a massive racist.
Well, luckily I'm not a jam maker or a racist.
Although I'm definitely more of a Nick Griffin hater after his performance on Question Time last night.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
Well, luckily I'm not a jam maker or a racist.
Although I'm definitely more of a Nick Griffin hater after his performance on Question Time last night.
What have you got against jam makers? Actually we had one on the show recently and he was married to a Thai lady, so you're well off the mark labelling all jam makers as racists James.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Well, luckily I'm not a jam maker or a racist.
What have you got against jam makers? Actually we had one on the show recently and he was married to a Thai lady, so you're well off the mark labelling all jam makers as racists James.
I never said that jam makers were racists, Jon.
I've got nothing against them whatsoever, apart from the jam they make. I'm more of a Marmite person myself.
I have nothing against David Kurdynowski (who you were referring to) and I have nothing more to say on this matter.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:What have you got against jam makers? Actually we had one on the show recently and he was married to a Thai lady, so you're well off the mark labelling all jam makers as racists James.
I made this one far more hilarious than it apparently was by thinking you were referring to KR rather than David K. :)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

James Robinson wrote:Dear me, you're just an annoying little c**t, aren't you, Corby?

I disagree, he's not little at all. :mrgreen:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

James Robinson wrote:Dear me, you're just an annoying little c**t, aren't you, Corby?
"Clot" is considered an offensive word by some people, James.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

[quote="James Robinson and I have nothing more to say on this matter.[/quote]

I bet you have more.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jon Corby wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Have you never heard of a Corby trouser press :?:
Erm... dunno really. Sort of rings a bell I suppose. What is it?

Edit - changed picture host.
Last edited by Alec Rivers on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

James Robinson wrote:I never said that jam makers were racists, Jon.
Jason?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum