Crawling reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Crawling reports

Post by Charlie Reams »

Please post here if you experience a protracted period of the server crawling. I've temporarily disabled Games In Progress to see whether the problem is really just shortage of bandwidth of whether it's a genuine programming problem.

Please don't post anything else in here, I really need to focus on this problem.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Crawling reports

Post by Kirk Bevins »

The server is generally slow atm, like when posting text into chat it sometimes takes an age to appear. Also when picking letters it takes a while - they you hear loads of squeaking noises at once (like loads of people entering) and the letters all display at once, as if it's been hanging.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:The server is generally slow atm, like when posting text into chat it sometimes takes an age to appear. Also when picking letters it takes a while - they you hear loads of squeaking noises at once (like loads of people entering) and the letters all display at once, as if it's been hanging.
When you say "generally" do you mean now or at some time in the past?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: When you say "generally" do you mean now or at some time in the past?
Both, but that includes now.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Just had a go and it started off slowly but then speeded up. Earlier tonight, though, Matt and I had a painfully slow game - waiting up to 5 minutes between rounds - which was happening to lots of other people judging by the chat.

Note the conundrum times. What made it mildly amusing was that Matt typed a message in the chat pane - which I saw - saying something like "I buzzed in with AUDITLESS but now it's frozen - don't even know if it's right" at a point when I was still waiting to see the scramble. I realised that was wrong, and had a minute or so to idly wonder what it might be instead. Then the conundrum window opened at my end, including some dialogue from Jeff saying that Matt had buzzed incorrectly after 23.8 seconds and that the rest of the time would go to me... at which point it began a full 30-second countdown, after about 6 seconds of which I buzzed in correctly with LASSITUDE. So my century wasn't exactly deserved. ;)
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

I've been finding apterous pretty much unusable since this afternoon. But it hasn't stopped me from trying :)
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Yep, this was happening to me last night and also during today's duel that I have just completed. Was worried as it was a blind duel that by the time the letters had loaded up they would all have disappeared but it was more like they all appeared together for a second or two before disappearing.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

It works fine when I'm on at 4am. It tends to slow down in the evening when lots of people are on it.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Mine's just stopped dead. The Des' patience bar has stopped working its way across, and other applications on this computer (including java ones) are working full speed.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Just tried a hypernundrum attack against prune. Big delays (>5s) between me pressing play next round and the conundrum appearing, it just hung for over a minute after I tried to answer the second conundrum so I gave up. 24 players were online, and 10+ games in progress.

I've experienced similar problems every time I've tried to play since you took the server down for maintenance, often to the point of rendering the game unplayable, and always during the evening so lots of traffic.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I have had two bad evenings. Playing from 20.30 through 22.00 was really slow and it was taking about 2 minutes for the letters to come out.

It locked up several times and froze on the Duel on Wednesday.

Thanks for monitoring it Charlie
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Any change today?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It was fine when I played the Duel yesterday afternoon, and it's just about perfect so far today.

EDIT: Chat seems a bit laggy at the moment however.

EDIT2: It's given up on me now, mem usage is at 60,000 of 65,000k and I can't press any buttons. If I try, I get a socket write error.

EDIT3: Reloaded, and it's playing okay, but a bit laggy. Anyway, I'll stop now!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Heaps better, even with a busy room.

It's prob unlikely, but could lots of chat in general room (not game specific) slow it down perhaps?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

kevin manthorpe wrote:Heaps better, even with a busy room.

It's prob unlikely, but could lots of chat in general room (not game specific) slow it down perhaps?
That's certainly plausible, but doesn't seem to be the case as far as I could tell in last night's tests.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

waaah it's stopped and now I only have 2 computerized ways of playing countdown :cry:
(oh and if Jack Hurst comes on here, apologies. I didn't just run away - you were going to win and I admit that XD)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think I finally fixed this now. If you experience any more huge delays after today, please let me know.