I am in a big rut!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

I am in a big rut!

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, everyone!

I thought my Internet connection was working fine, but then all of a sudden some links I like to visit went dead, one by one. For example, one of those links was the link to one of my old newspapers. Links like those ones are updated daily, so I don't know why the most current copy of them has been able to appear on Google.

I know that another site I like to visit has been hacked, but that was acknowledged and the only person who could do anything about it was the webmaster.

Then, just last night I got an e-mail from someone who claimed to be from my e-mail provider saying that they would close my account if I did not confirm it. Then, I gave them some information such as my e-mail address and birthdate. Now, I think I've been the victim of a phishing scam. I have just found out that some of these e-mails are in proper English, as this one was, and I could understand it perfectly. I was under the impression that some of them are unclear, as if an Asian person who did not understand English at all was talking to me.

I can no longer go on Apterous, and I am concerned that anyone who I e-mail in the near future will not receive my messages. I had e-mailed a member of the Countdown production team, and they have not responded to me.

But, the funny thing is, these links that started going dead did so even before I got the "phish" e-mail. So, does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Someone, please help!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: I am in a big rut!

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:Hi, everyone!

I thought my Internet connection was working fine, but then all of a sudden some links I like to visit went dead, one by one. For example, one of those links was the link to one of my old newspapers. Links like those ones are updated daily, so I don't know why the most current copy of them has been able to appear on Google.

I know that another site I like to visit has been hacked, but that was acknowledged and the only person who could do anything about it was the webmaster.

Then, just last night I got an e-mail from someone who claimed to be from my e-mail provider saying that they would close my account if I did not confirm it. Then, I gave them some information such as my e-mail address and birthdate. Now, I think I've been the victim of a phishing scam. I have just found out that some of these e-mails are in proper English, as this one was, and I could understand it perfectly. I was under the impression that some of them are unclear, as if an Asian person who did not understand English at all was talking to me.

I can no longer go on Apterous, and I am concerned that anyone who I e-mail in the near future will not receive my messages. I had e-mailed a member of the Countdown production team, and they have not responded to me.

But, the funny thing is, these links that started going dead did so even before I got the "phish" e-mail. So, does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Someone, please help!
Contact your Internet Service Provider. The problem with your Internet connection is unrelated to the phishing email.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Jason Larsen wrote:Hi, everyone!

Someone, please help!
I know exactly what this is. Your computer has been infected by cyber-weevils.

You need to take your computer to pieces and place all the components in a hot bath then add some TCP. This will kill most of them.

The remaining weevils can be killed by subjecting them to their natural enemy which is, of course, the ladybird (or ladybug as you will call it, which frankly makes a lot more sense so I think you must be a lot clever over that side of the pond). Talking of ponds that's where you should go next. Collect about 300 ladybugs then spread marmite on their feet and stick them to your motherboard (that's not a rude word like penwoman or something). They will eat the remaining weevils. Wipe the marmite off it (jam (or jelly as you call it which frankly makes a lot more sense as it is wobbly so I think you must be a lot clever over that side of the pond) works best for this) then reassemble.

And b4 you hit me with an obligatory "You're kidding, George" I'm not. I got this information from http://www.howtogetweevilsoutofyourcomp ... irds.co.uk and http://www.howtogetweevilsoutofyourcomp ... dybugs.com which probably won't work on your computer what with the weevils and all.

Do it now.

Are you still there?

Now I said.

Go, Jman, go.

George
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Guess what?