Apterous Display Case

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
D Eadie
Devotee

Apterous Display Case

Post by D Eadie »

Any chance of us ever getting the low-down on what the items mean and how you achieve them?

I have a good idea about the baseball cap, but the other stuff is a mystery and i'd be telling porkies if i said it wasn't beginning to annoy me.

Spill the beans somebody, before i award myself with a ruptured sphincter.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Apterous Display Case

Post by Ben Wilson »

D Eadie wrote:Any chance of us ever getting the low-down on what the items mean and how you achieve them?

I have a good idea about the baseball cap, but the other stuff is a mystery and i'd be telling porkies if i said it wasn't beginning to annoy me.

I've worked out all of them bar the slippers (yes, this includes the holy items).
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Wilson wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Any chance of us ever getting the low-down on what the items mean and how you achieve them?

I've worked out all of them bar the slippers (yes, this includes the holy items).
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:

Oh, alright then.

I'll tell all at CoNot. If you remember to ask. ;)
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

The baseball cap is when you get a maximum and there is no other words with the same amount of letters, I think.

And the Benjamin is when you score at least 100 in a game I think.

But it would be cool to know the rest.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Darren Carter wrote:The baseball cap is when you get a maximum and there is no other words with the same amount of letters, I think.
If only there were some kind of name for that. Perhaps you could suggest one, Darren.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:The baseball cap is when you get a maximum and there is no other words with the same amount of letters, I think.
If only there were some kind of name for that. Perhaps you could suggest one, Darren.
HA
Ben Wilson wrote: I've worked out all of them bar the slippers.
I have seven pairs of slipper, so far i've not seen anyone with more. So its probably something you get when apterous detects thats its arousing you.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

You get slippers for winning a game after being behind on the conundrum, or final round, or something.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I should say that slippers either are or have been broken at some point, so it'll be pretty difficult to work out what they're supposed to be for.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

This just makes me think we should totally play Mao at CoNot.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I'd worked out a while ago that the baseball cap is for a Darren. The real questions are: (1) Why is it called a Darren? (2) Why is it symbolised by a baseball cap?
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Charlie Reams wrote:I should say that slippers either are or have been broken at some point, so it'll be pretty difficult to work out what they're supposed to be for.
For some reason, the Duellist is good for slippers.

Seriously. Nearly 4,000 pairs of the damn things.
Oh, cackwires!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Stop unweaving the rainbow :(.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I always intended for people to puzzle over them publicly and attempt to spade out what they're actually for, so feel free. If the rainbow gets firmly unravelled then I'll just add some new ones.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kevin Davis wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I should say that slippers either are or have been broken at some point, so it'll be pretty difficult to work out what they're supposed to be for.
For some reason, the Duellist is good for slippers.

Seriously. Nearly 4,000 pairs of the damn things.
Ah, so presumably it's if you fail to offer a word?
Being broken would explain why I haven't worked this out, since I'm sure I've offered nowt in 5 sec duels.

The Benjamins and Baseball caps I had fathomed.
Dunno what the pencil is for.

I don't have any holies, so extremely difficult for me to work this one out.
I did have the thought that it might be if you got a zero game from your opponent, but presumably not that simple if others don't know either.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

A Holy is definitely when your opponent scores zero.

Baseball cap is for finding the 'Darren', which is a weird term for the sole optimum word.

Broken pencils i have no idea about, or slippers and the rest of it. I want mine removing it annoys me that much.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

When I finally understood the broken tie, I laughed at the fact that Charlie obviously has some sense of humour :D
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

D Eadie wrote:A Holy is definitely when your opponent scores zero.
I'm pretty sure it isn't. I have nine Holy Caesars but have only beaten him to zero once, whereas I've kept Prune to zero loads of times but have no Holy Prunes.

No idea at all about the slippers; almost everyone has at least one pair - even people who have only played one game - but not many players have more than about four pairs, except for the Duellist, who has got about a billion.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Just out of interest, why is the only optimum word called a 'Darren'?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Darren Carter wrote:Just out of interest, why is the only optimum word called a 'Darren'?
Jono said to me once "We should have a name for when there's only one optimum word." And I thought of names I liked, and said "Darren". He concurred.

The baseball cap is because that's what I imagine people called Darren like to wear, although I've never met one so this is purely conjecture.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image
You have far too much spare time on your hands!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You know you want it as your avatar.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Matt Morrison wrote:You know you want it as your avatar.
No I don't..... :?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Charlie Reams wrote:I always intended for people to puzzle over them publicly and attempt to spade out what they're actually for, so feel free. If the rainbow gets firmly unravelled then I'll just add some new ones.
This could get difficult, now that we don't know what we've won until the end. I'm going to have to start using pencil and paper. ;)

To add something useful, I had thought that the pencils were for having a max and having "written down" your opponent's word too, but that turned out to be wrong. I think the slippers are for declaring nothing while your opponent scores x amount of points, where x is approximately twenty. (You might have to keep the lead while this is going on, but I'm not sure.) I should probably do some science by playing a bot and finding out.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Slippers are/have been really broken, I wouldn't waste your time trying to figure them out until I fix them.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Andrew Feist wrote:I had thought that the pencils were for having a max and having "written down" your opponent's word too, but that turned out to be wrong.
http://www.apterous.org/help.php?page=14
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Blimey, so that's what the pencils are for. It seems strange that I have so many; but also I don't seem to have acquired any for ages, which would be logical as over time there are fewer to be had.

This bit puzzled me slightly:
A message in the game lobby's chat panel at the end of a game will let you know if you have earned any new items.
The messages for me have always appeared as I earn each item. Has that changed recently and if so why?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:A message in the game lobby's chat panel at the end of a game will let you know if you have earned any new items.
The messages for me have always appeared as I earn each item. Has that changed recently and if so why?
Yes, yesterday, and because too many item notifications were cluttering the chat panel during the game (although obviously that's never been a problem for numpties like us).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:A message in the game lobby's chat panel at the end of a game will let you know if you have earned any new items.
Yes, yesterday, and because too many item notifications were cluttering the chat panel during the game (although obviously that's never been a problem for numpties like us).
Oh. Well, FWIW I preferred it the old way - at least then I had a sporting chance of guessing what each item was for. I suppose it would be too much trouble to make it a personal option?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Oh. Well, FWIW I preferred it the old way - at least then I had a sporting chance of guessing what each item was for. I suppose it would be too much trouble to make it a personal option?
That wouldn't be a good compromise, because anyone who was interested in figuring out what the items are for (which is part of the fun) would have to put up with all the clutter. Maybe there should be a separate panel for items or something, I don't know.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:FWIW I preferred it the old way - at least then I had a sporting chance of guessing what each item was for. I suppose it would be too much trouble to make it a personal option?
That wouldn't be a good compromise, because anyone who was interested in figuring out what the items are for (which is part of the fun) would have to put up with all the clutter.
But at least we'd have the choice, which currently we don't. I get so few items in an average game that the occasional one here and there doesn't constitute clutter as far as I'm concerned, so if it's not difficult to implement I'd like the option to have them reported as they happen.