CountMax errors

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: CountMax errors

Post by Charlie Reams »

Seems to me that WRONGER and WRONGEST should definitely be included.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Seems to me that WRONGER and WRONGEST should definitely be included.
It seems wrong to me that they're left out, but it seems even wronger to include them as I can't imagine how you'd ever use the words.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Seems to me that WRONGER and WRONGEST should definitely be included.
It seems wrong to me that they're left out, but it seems even wronger to include them as I can't imagine how you'd ever use the words.
Your logic is the most wrongest of all logics.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Your logic is the most wrongest of all logics.
Isn't 'logic' a mass noun?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Your logic is the most wrongest of all logics.
Isn't 'logic' a mass noun?
It isn't that big, 'defibrillator' is a much more massive noun.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

LOGICS used to be allowed (yo for real) but now it isn't. Crazy.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

This is the wrongest argument on the whole forum. Even wronger than Sandwiches: The Official Debate.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I had 'Littler' disallowed today. Not an error I should hasten to add because it's not in the great book. However, are were really supposed to say 'His brother was more little than his sister' or 'His **** was the most little I'd ever seen.' (Sorry, just pointlessly lowering the tone of things!)?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Karen Pearson wrote:I had 'Littler' disallowed today. Not an error I should hasten to add because it's not in the great book. However, are were really supposed to say 'His brother was more little than his sister' or 'His **** was the most little I'd ever seen.' (Sorry, just pointlessly lowering the tone of things!)?
I suppose you'd just say 'his brother was smaller than his sister' instead, or 'his **** was so little that one would require a microscope to see it'
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Karen Pearson wrote:I had 'Littler' disallowed today. Not an error I should hasten to add because it's not in the great book. However, are were really supposed to say 'His brother was more little than his sister' or 'His **** was the most little I'd ever seen.' (Sorry, just pointlessly lowering the tone of things!)?
This strikes me as a definite error - in NODE2r if not in CountMax. LITTLER perhaps sounds slightly contrived, but LITTLEST is incredibly common (a Google search comes up with nearly 5 million hits) and the dictionary is supposed to reflect common usage. If a contestant declared LITTLEST on the show I would be very surprised if Susie disallowed it even though it's not specified.

I just checked Collins Dictionary and that lists both LITTLER and LITTLEST (although it does say "not standard" in each case).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I just checked Collins Dictionary and that lists both LITTLER and LITTLEST (although it does say "not standard" in each case).
I asked Susie about these when I first filmed having noticed during 'training' that LITTLEST wasn't specified and therefore not valid. As someone who grew up with 'The Littlest Hobo' I found this quite upsetting. Anyway, she actually made a note of it and said she would pass it on as being a definite erroneous omission. I forgot to follow up the progress on subsequent visits, but I assume she would have to disallow it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

The littlest pet shop?

Yeah, this is why real paper dictionaries aren't great for word games, as there's too much room for interpretations, or even some things that are just errors. I've pointed out quite a few (nailerys, funer, funest) that under the letter of the rule (as I understand them) should be allowed, but blatantly they won't allow them for a very good reason. They could just get rid of as many of this nuances in the dictionary as they can, but the dictionary is a large thing, it's not going to be easy!

I think pisseder / pissedest was one that Charlie came up with - no real reason to disallow it, awful as it may be.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've seen "not comparable" used in other dictionaries, so you can have something like:

prone adj. (not comparable)

Therefore proner and pronest would be right out of the window.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Martin Gardner wrote:Therefore proner and pronest would be right out of the window.
PRONEST + A = PRONATES 8-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Martin Gardner wrote:I've seen "not comparable" used in other dictionaries, so you can have something like:

prone adj. (not comparable)

Therefore proner and pronest would be right out of the window.
Looks like that tag is missing on stuff like RIGHT, FAUX etc. then.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote: I asked Susie about these when I first filmed having noticed during 'training' that LITTLEST wasn't specified and therefore not valid.
And GIRLIEST is a weird omission too.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:I've pointed out quite a few (nailerys, funer, funest) that under the letter of the rule (as I understand them) should be allowed, but blatantly they won't allow them for a very good reason.
NAILERYS? Don't they specify the plurals of all nouns ending in Y?

FUNER, FUNEST - What about my take on it? You must have read it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I've pointed out quite a few (nailerys, funer, funest) that under the letter of the rule (as I understand them) should be allowed, but blatantly they won't allow them for a very good reason.
NAILERYS? Don't they specify the plurals of all nouns ending in Y?

FUNER, FUNEST - What about my take on it? You must have read it.
You're right, this does deserve a reply. Tricky one actually, because it specifies at the bottom that the comparative and superlative are FUNNER and FUNNEST, but that they're "not universally accepted as standard English". Brings me back to the point I made on another thread - we don't play in Standard English, we just play in English! Otherwise you'd be disallowing loads of stuff that is in the dictionary, like GONNA, WANNA, etc. So I suppose the common sense thing is to allow FUNNER and FUNNEST.

PS looking on Apterous, DRUIDS is among the most commonly disallowed words. I can see it's capitalised. I really don't know why, I think its meaning is more generic than that and it should have a second sense without a capital.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:You're right, this does deserve a reply. Tricky one actually, because it specifies at the bottom that the comparative and superlative are FUNNER and FUNNEST, but that they're "not universally accepted as standard English". Brings me back to the point I made on another thread - we don't play in Standard English, we just play in English!
But my point was that FUNNER and FUNNEST were only mentioned in the usage box as a sort of aside rather than mentioned in the main text and then also discussed in the usage box.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:You're right, this does deserve a reply. Tricky one actually, because it specifies at the bottom that the comparative and superlative are FUNNER and FUNNEST, but that they're "not universally accepted as standard English". Brings me back to the point I made on another thread - we don't play in Standard English, we just play in English!
But my point was that FUNNER and FUNNEST were only mentioned in the usage box as a sort of aside rather than mentioned in the main text and then also discussed in the usage box.
I guess don't really have an answer to that.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I've just had PLUMAGES KO'ed which seems a little wrong to me- it's listed as a mass noun but surely if you're talking about different birds' feathers you talk about their plumages?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Wilson wrote:I've just had PLUMAGES KO'ed which seems a little wrong to me- it's listed as a mass noun but surely if you're talking about different birds' feathers you talk about their plumages?
I'd guess it's considered officially correct to say (e.g.) "The snowy owl and the tawny owl have differently coloured plumage", although informally you might say that they have different plumages.
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

MAUVINE appears to be missing. As the first synthetic dye, you'd think it'd be there.

Perhaps it's an anti-purple thing?
Oh, cackwires!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kevin Davis wrote:MAUVINE appears to be missing. As the first synthetic dye, you'd think it'd be there.

Perhaps it's an anti-purple thing?
You mean MAUVEINE. In any case this thread is for errors in CountMax, not stuff you think should be in the dictionary but isn't.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Why are gratineed and gratinee valid, but not gratinees? Surely you could say: 'I will gratinee some potatoes. He/ she gratinees some potatoes. I gratineed some potatoes yesterday'? But apparently not. :(
Martini should be in too, but I believe that's been mentioned before. You can imagine how I felt when that was disallowed... ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Neil Zussman wrote:Why are gratineed and gratinee valid, but not gratinees? Surely you could say: 'I will gratinee some potatoes. He/ she gratinees some potatoes. I gratineed some potatoes yesterday'? But apparently not. :(
Martini should be in too, but I believe that's been mentioned before. You can imagine how I felt when that was disallowed... ;)
gratineed would be ok if gratinee was a verb, which it's not; it's an adjective.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Neil Zussman wrote:Why are gratineed and gratinee valid, but not gratinees? Surely you could say: 'I will gratinee some potatoes. He/ she gratinees some potatoes. I gratineed some potatoes yesterday'? But apparently not. :(
GRATINE (also GRATINEE) is another term for AU GRATIN, i.e. it's a postpositive adjective as in "potatoes gratinee". GRATINEED is the normal adjective, as in "gratineed potatoes", but there's no verb "to gratinee" (well, not in the ODE). I think that's right, anyway!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

SIRLOIN is in, but I had SIRLOINS disallowed today, incorrectly IMO.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Paul Howe wrote:SIRLOIN is in, but I had SIRLOINS disallowed today, incorrectly IMO.
It's all opinion. It's a mass noun so I'm glad it disallows it as I hate learning plurals of words from countmax only to find they are mass nouns and I have them disallowed in a competitive situation. I was super cautious on the show not risking dodgy plurals even if I knew countmax gave it, just in case it was a mass noun.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:SIRLOIN is in, but I had SIRLOINS disallowed today, incorrectly IMO.
It's all opinion.
Indeed. According to my hazy understanding of the rules, foodstuff mass nouns can be pluralised, and I remember it being allowed on the show before, in the Fell v Wills special I think.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Yeah, probably should be included under the "portions of food or drink" pluralisable mass noun rule. There's probably still a lot of these not yet included, one day I'll try to do a semi-rigorous check through and counsel the opinion of the Apterous massive.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:HOARSER and HOARSEST.
Err HOARSER/HOARSEST is in my version and that's why on Friday's show one of the OT words (check review) was HOARSEST.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

*mock Jo-Bo (without the hyphen) here*
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Err HOARSER/HOARSEST is in my version and that's why on Friday's show one of the OT words (check review) was HOARSEST.
Sometimes the recap writer misses stuff out, like on COOT game against Kirk there were the nines ALTITUDES and LATITUDES but the recapper only put one of them, even though both were considered valid.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Sometimes the recap writer misses stuff out, like on COOT game against Kirk there were the nines ALTITUDES and LATITUDES but the recapper only put one of them, even though both were considered valid.
POISED was in round two of this game: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1766 but not mentioned in the OT list. So this is normal then?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: POISED was in round two of this game: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1766 but not mentioned in the OT list. So this is normal then?
There were a few 6s missing, I must've forgotten to check for OT words.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Paul Howe wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
It's all opinion.
Indeed. According to my hazy understanding of the rules, foodstuff mass nouns can be pluralised, and I remember it being allowed on the show before, in the Fell v Wills special I think.
I was going to ask about this re: QUINOAS, which I had disallowed.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I had Sluttier disallowed in a game earlier. I'm wondering weather its not a word or weather it was just missed out of the dictionary file
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

JackHurst wrote:I had Sluttier disallowed in a game earlier. I'm wondering weather its not a word or weather it was just missed out of the dictionary file
ODE2r just has the adjective SLUTTY specified.
As it's more than one syllable, the comparative and superlative have to be specified to be allowable.
Annoying, I know, you'll just have to whether the storm. ;)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Regarding AUDIOS, in this game it was allowed, but it is among the most common words disallowed on apterous*.

*Yes, apterous.org.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Regarding AUDIOS, in this game it was allowed, but it is among the most common words disallowed on apterous*.

*Yes, apterous.org.
There was someone called Phredd!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I can't find FRONTES in the ODE2r. Can anyone else?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I can't find FRONTES in the ODE2r. Can anyone else?
FRONS (pl FRONTES) the forehead of an animal
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julie T wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I can't find FRONTES in the ODE2r. Can anyone else?
FRONS (pl FRONTES) the forehead of an animal
Good spot! Well done.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

OK cleverclogs, find VERENDAH.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kirk Bevins wrote:OK cleverclogs, find VERENDAH.
Go on then, where is it?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Julie T wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:OK cleverclogs, find VERENDAH.
Go on then, where is it?
Under HAMSTER.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Me and Innis both got Sporulated in a hyper game and it wasn't allowed. I can't link to the game, because it broke halfway through, and then there was no option to resume later. When i looked at Sporulated on lexplorer it said it was not valid, yet in one game it had been declared by dictionary corner. Its got an entry on dictionarydotcom:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/SPORULATE

so this suggests to me that it accidentally got deleted from the database of alloweable words at some point. ???
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

As I said in the FAQ, for words of 10 letters or more, the dictionary is extremely incomplete and often inconsistent. It's the risk you take when playing Hyper. Future complaints on the subject will be taken as implicit offers to type out the rest of the dictionary.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:As I said in the FAQ, for words of 10 letters or more, the dictionary is extremely incomplete and often inconsistent. It's the risk you take when playing Hyper. Future complaints on the subject will be taken as implicit offers to type out the rest of the dictionary.
I just got SPORULATING and it disallowed it. Why was this?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

RAREBITS should be in.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Kai Laddiman wrote:RAREBITS should be in.
ODE2r does say it's a mass noun.
It also says that it can be made using different ingredients, so maybe there's an argument for it being countable.
Does anyone remember Susie ever ruling on it?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:It also says that it can be made using different ingredients, so maybe there's an argument for it being countable.
Yeah, it's definitely fine, it was offered most recently by Susie just last month.

It qualifies under the somewhat flaky "ordering in a restaurant" plural rule :roll:
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Julie T wrote:
It also says that it can be made using different ingredients, so maybe there's an argument for it being countable.
More importantly it's a portion of food, and there's a Countdown rule saying these can be pluralised even if listed as a mass noun in the ODE. I'm fairly certain Susie's given it the thumbs up before too.

Dammit Corby :x
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Paul Howe wrote:
Julie T wrote:
More importantly it's a portion of food, and there's a Countdown rule saying these can be pluralised even if listed as a mass noun in the ODE. I'm fairly certain Susie's given it the thumbs up before too.

Dammit Corby :x
She also allowed "fennels" using the same reasoning, which pretty much opens you up to allowing anything you can eat as a plural.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote: She also allowed "fennels" using the same reasoning, which pretty much opens you up to allowing anything you can eat as a plural.
Yep, "dogs" works.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ian Volante wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: She also allowed "fennels" using the same reasoning, which pretty much opens you up to allowing anything you can eat as a plural.
Yep, "dogs" works.
As in Fido pastries! Groan. :roll: Sorry! :lol:

Reminds me of the joke:

My favourite curry is Tarka Massala. It's like Chicken Tikka Massala, only 'otter. :mrgreen:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:She also allowed "fennels" using the same reasoning, which pretty much opens you up to allowing anything you can eat as a plural.
What would the plural (in the multiple portions sense) of "molasses" be, I wonder?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:She also allowed "fennels" using the same reasoning, which pretty much opens you up to allowing anything you can eat as a plural.
What would the plural (in the multiple portions sense) of "molasses" be, I wonder?
Yeah. What about 'panini' too?