All of you will be very happy to read this

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

All of you will be very happy to read this

Post by Jason Larsen »

As I began to post here more and more, I thought that this forum really frightened me. This is because I didn't really understand all of your senses of humor.

After that, I was told that if someone here jokes around with me they are only showing their lighthearted sense of humor.

Because I realized that, I am now posting here more often.

I am almost 100% sure I understand this, but why do some people in the UK have senses of humor that are so crazy? I ask because I was told by a couple of people here that most British people are. I gathered that their senses of humor are "dry," but I'll tell you something. Raising your voice when speaking is not considered showing a "dry" sense of humor.

However, I am happy that I like this forum, and I have warmed up here quite easily. This is a great place.

If you'd like me to elaborate on this, you can talk to me privately.

Thank you very much!
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Re: All of you will be very happy to read this

Post by Richard Brittain »

I think it has something to do with the intelligence difference between Americans and the British. I read somewhere that the average American's IQ is something like 20 points lower than the average Briton's. Personally I don't care for IQ tests, but it's a known fact that most people in the world consider Americans to be stupid. It's probably just that most Americans have a hard time understanding British humour. The American culture is very much based around externals, show, that 'smile for the camera at all costs' ethos; it is a hollow culture without any real foundation to it, completely glib. The rest of the world tend to think and act more naturally, with greater depth and understanding.

Hope I've helped explain it to you.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Richard

I wrote in another thread a while back and I'm wondering if you understand me in regard to that
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I probably didn't. A lot of what you say confuses me.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I wish I could watch Countdown with you next week.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I get that from a lot of people.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You know, Des O'Connor can always come back here if he would like.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Des O'Connor was at these forums?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, Des O'Connor was on American TV 50 years ago. He appeared on the original US version of Concentration to promote a one-time music television special he hosted.

By the way, our original US Concentration host is a gentleman by the name of Hugh Downs. He is very much alive and well and in his 80s. After Concentration, he became the host of a news show called 20/20.

I bet Des would be very happy to see Hugh again. Unfortunately, most Americans who are alive today would probably say, "Des who?" if I asked them if they know who Des O'Connor is.

But, interestingly enough, we have someone a lot like him on American TV.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, Jason. Thanks for the info.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Speaking of this whole matter, I saw Hugh Downs on an infomercial not too long ago. He looks great for his age. Hugh is on the infomercial, and Des is on Countdown. They're both pretty active guys.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jason Larsen wrote:As I began to post here more and more, I thought that this forum really frightened me. This is because I didn't really understand all of your senses of humor.

After that, I was told that if someone here jokes around with me they are only showing their lighthearted sense of humor.

Because I realized that, I am now posting here more often.

I am almost 100% sure I understand this, but why do some people in the UK have senses of humor that are so crazy? I ask because I was told by a couple of people here that most British people are. I gathered that their senses of humor are "dry," but I'll tell you something. Raising your voice when speaking is not considered showing a "dry" sense of humor.

However, I am happy that I like this forum, and I have warmed up here quite easily. This is a great place.

If you'd like me to elaborate on this, you can talk to me privately.

Thank you very much!
This is brilliantly insightful! I was indeed very happy to read this. My favourite part was "Raising your voice when speaking is not considered showing a "dry" sense of humor" :lol:
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jason Larsen wrote:why do some people in the UK have senses of humor that are so crazy?
Because we are CRAZYYYY!!!!!!!!!! ...well, some of us. not ME though, ohhh no. :lol: :lol:
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

Jason, English humour is sometimes based on opposite situatuations. If it is pelting down with rain, I would say "lovely weather we're having aint we"". An American won't see the ironic humour and spoil it by saying, "no! I don't think it is". Well! we know bleeding well it's lousy stinking weather, but we don't state the obvious and say "it's raining"
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Jason, English humour is sometimes based on opposite situatuations. If it is pelting down with rain, I would say "lovely weather we're having aint we"". An American won't see the ironic humour and spoil it by saying, "no! I don't think it is". Well! we know bleeding well it's lousy stinking weather, but we don't state the obvious and say "it's raining"
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Sorry lads and lasses. I posted the same subject twice and I don't know how I managed to do that. I think that it is an age thing.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

George F. Jenkins wrote:Jason [...]
George, I don't know if you realised, but I pulled this quote from March 2008. I just enjoyed the post and thought it worth sharing. I'm sure Jason's understanding of British humour has changed in the nearly 3 years that have elapsed.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Adam Gillard wrote:
George F. Jenkins wrote:Jason [...]
George, I don't know if you realised, but I pulled this quote from March 2008. I just enjoyed the post and thought it worth sharing. I'm sure Jason's understanding of British humour has changed in the nearly 3 years that have elapsed.
It has improved yes, but just recently I was playing a game of aegilops against Jason and the word BUM came out in the selection. I said lol in the chat box and he asked what was I was laughing at so I said BUM and he said "I know what that means in your culture". So I said, sarcastically,"no no I was laughing at the homeless". I don't think he got it.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I would like to apologize to Ned Pendleton, Edward McCullough and all the other people who I shined on by not watching their Countdown episodes. I promise to watch Countdown every day from now on.

I hope you all shared your good humor with Jeff and Rachel.