Mastermind

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Mastermind

Post by Ian Volante »

Yes, it's happening at last, the big televisual event of next week. I'm on Mastermind! Sorry Kirk to steal your limelight, I hope you get some attention too.

If you fancy testing your knowledge of Metallica against mine, then get yerselves settled in front of the box at 7.30pm on the sixth of March. Woo!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Re: Mastermind

Post by Debbi Flack »

I've marked it on my calendar! :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good luck, Ian!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ian Volante wrote:Yes, it's happening at last, the big televisual event of next week. I'm on Mastermind! Sorry Kirk to steal your limelight, I hope you get some attention too.

If you fancy testing your knowledge of Metallica against mine, then get yerselves settled in front of the box at 7.30pm on the sixth of March. Woo!
Nice, I'm a fan of Mastermind (not Metallica mind you though). ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ian Volante wrote:Yes, it's happening at last, the big televisual event of next week. I'm on Mastermind! Sorry Kirk to steal your limelight, I hope you get some attention too.

You git! However, this is on the 6th March so I may not be in the chair then but if I am they'll have two forumites to look forward to! I'll be watching you. Good luck.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Oh, blow, Ian, I'm going away for a few days on the 5th so I'll miss it! Hope you do well anyway. Good luck!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Cheers :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

The best of luck to you Ian, though I definitely wont be able to beat you on the Metallica questions. I will try on the GK questions though :D.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I'll be watching Ian.

Like Jojo I'm a fan of MM too. Best wishes and looking forward to seeing you and Kirk in the same week.

Mind you, I can't name too many of Metallica's greatest hits ;)

Good luck mate!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Awesome! Hope you get at least one question right ;)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:Oh, blow, Ian, I'm going away for a few days on the 5th so I'll miss it! Hope you do well anyway. Good luck!
I'm scheduled to be driving up the M1 at that time - but BBC iPlayer comes in handy for these circumstances. I look forward to seeing the internet replay of your show, Ian, despite my complete lack of knowledge on Metallica... :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
Kathleen Batlle wrote:Oh, blow, Ian, I'm going away for a few days on the 5th so I'll miss it! Hope you do well anyway. Good luck!
I'm scheduled to be driving up the M1 at that time - but BBC iPlayer comes in handy for these circumstances.
I was going to remind Kathleen that she could always watch the show via iPlayer, but then I remembered that she lives in Spain. As I understand it, iPlayer only works in the UK.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I never thought I'd say it but it looks very much like I might be the 2nd most Metallica-knowledgeable person here, by virtue of simply knowing a few songs and seeing them live twice.
You must feel very let down by all of us Ian :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:I never thought I'd say it but it looks very much like I might be the 2nd most Metallica-knowledgeable person here, by virtue of simply knowing a few songs and seeing them live twice.
I've seen them too, but can't really name any of their songs except Enter Sandman, so I'm happy to accept third place.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

One, Battery, Enter Sandman and and Justice for all. *SNATCHES 3RD!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:I never thought I'd say it but it looks very much like I might be the 2nd most Metallica-knowledgeable person here, by virtue of simply knowing a few songs and seeing them live twice.
It's very poor, although until Tuesday, I'll have only seen them once... :o
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
It's very poor, although until Tuesday, I'll have only seen them once... :o
My "seeing them live twice" was potentially confusing as it sounds like I'm more of a fan than my surprise at being 2nd place had suggested.
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Metallica. Both times I've seen them was at Reading Festival (two different festivals obviously, I don't mean I just saw a song, walked away and then came back and said I'd seen them twice!), and the first was especially grudgingly since they'd been booked for the big Sunday night finale and was a bit of an anti-climax for me as I'd been far more interested in the other rock and metal bands that had preceded them. That said, I'd obviously rather see Metallica than 99% of what's on the radio these days.

And just to cement my 2nd place, off the top of my head:
So What, 2 x 4, Whiskey In The Jar (yes it's a cover but hey), Enter Sandman, Until It Sleeps, Master of Puppets, Battery, Sanitarium, The Unforgiven, One.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Good luck Ian. Let's hope you don't have to face a 12 year old...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I don't mean I just saw a song, walked away and then came back and said I'd seen them twice!
That would be seeing them half a time, twice. Or something.
Matt Morrison wrote:Whiskey In The Jar (yes it's a cover but hey)
Didn't it become Whiskey In The Jar-o when they covered it?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Looking forward to watching you, Ian, should be cool. As for Metallica, I'm not a fan by any means but was quite into some of their earlier stuff when I was (a lot) younger. In fact, I've still got a copy of "...And Justice For All" on cassette - unfortunately I don't have a working cassette player any more, so it's of little use really.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
I'm scheduled to be driving up the M1 at that time - but BBC iPlayer comes in handy for these circumstances.
I was going to remind Kathleen that she could always watch the show via iPlayer, but then I remembered that she lives in Spain. As I understand it, iPlayer only works in the UK.
You're right, Phil, I've tried BBC iPlayer several times and can't believe they know I'm not in UK. How do they do that? I bought my little MacBook in London last year so it is set up with an English system and I have never told the BBC that I'm in Spain, so can't work out how they know! The same thing happens when I buy something from ebay.co.uk as my confirmation e-mails and prompts to raise my bid are always in Spanish. It's all very annoying. Anyway, I'm actually going to UK next Thursday so, if I can get my friend to stop talking for half an hour on Friday, I might just get to see Mastermind. I'll try anyway.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:You're right, Phil, I've tried BBC iPlayer several times and can't believe they know I'm not in UK. How do they do that? I bought my little MacBook in London last year so it is set up with an English system and I have never told the BBC that I'm in Spain, so can't work out how they know! The same thing happens when I buy something from ebay.co.uk as my confirmation e-mails and prompts to raise my bid are always in Spanish. It's all very annoying. Anyway, I'm actually going to UK next Thursday so, if I can get my friend to stop talking for half an hour on Friday, I might just get to see Mastermind. I'll try anyway.
It's all about IP addresses. [adult swim] don't let viewers outside of the US check out their videos, which is a source of occasional frustration for me.
eBay shouldn't be a problem though - it's fairly easy to set up regional preferences, and even then, that shouldn't stop you from browsing other sites. For example, I occasionally check out eBay.com when I'm looking for a rare CD or something, and it doesn't force me to use .co.uk.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:[adult swim] don't let viewers outside of the US check out their videos, which is a source of occasional frustration for me.
I clicked on that link with some trepidation, expecting to see images of pneumatically-enhanced young women skinny-dipping.

(I probably still had somewhere in my mind Bree's classic line from this week's Desperate Housewives, on being told that her son Andrew's new boyfriend had starred in an adult movie: "Adult movie? You mean, one that's complex and sophisticated?")
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

He's on now. Apparently.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jimmy Gough wrote:He's on now. Apparently.
Thanks Jimmy. Had totally forgotten. He wasn't contestant no. 1 was he? Hope not as just flicked on to see no. 2 embarking.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Thanks Jimmy. Had totally forgotten. He wasn't contestant no. 1 was he? Hope not as just flicked on to see no. 2 embarking.
No he's no. 4. Thanks to Allan Harmer for telling me on Apterous.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
No he's no. 4. Thanks to Allan Harmer for telling me on Apterous.
Nice nice. I didn't think there'd have been enough time to miss the intro and two contestants in the first 7 minutes of the show, so presumed they were going right-to-left rather than left-to-right.

Ian's done alright there in round 1. I got 2 right.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

BIRETTA!!!

2 Countdown topics combine.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Aaaah!! So close!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Again, good luck, Ian.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:Again, good luck, Ian.
You are aware that Ian has just been on and lost out by 2 points, aren't you Jason?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Great effort Ian.

Just a little bit of bad luck at the end of GK otherwise you could easily have won.

Well done mate - no disgrace at all.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Allan Harmer wrote:Well done mate - no disgrace at all.
Seconded.
At least you can console yourself with the knowledge you were the most attractive contestant. Most 'hip' topic. Coolest surname. etc.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Yeah I agree, you were just generally the best person there. Well played 8-)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Well done Ian
What an improvement on your avatar too,
and a question on leylandii answered correctly, that'll embarass some on here!
Last edited by Ian Fitzpatrick on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No!

Mastermind is another one of the shows I watch on UK Nova, and today's episode has not been uploaded yet.

I guess I'll just watch it and see for myself!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Shoot I missed it! Could've done with a reminder this morning! Ummm will it be online anywhere?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Shoot I missed it! Could've done with a reminder this morning! Ummm will it be online anywhere?
I think it's already loaded up on iPlayer.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Very kind everyone!

I'm grumpy about my collapse towards the end, and in my defence, I didn't know what birettas were at that point, hadn't been on Apterous when it was filmed. My of the others, I just didn't have a clue. I was particularly unhappy at getting the first Israeli PM wrong, that was just a total brain freeze. Ah well, as you say, no disgrace!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Well done Ian
What an improvement on your avatar too,
and a question on leylandii answered correctly, that'll embarass some on here!
Are you criticising my choice of shirt?!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Shoot I missed it! Could've done with a reminder this morning! Ummm will it be online anywhere?
Sorry, I was working, didn't have time this evening :(
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good close game. Well played Ian.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How did it feel to be on TV again, Ian?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
You are aware that Ian has just been on and lost out by 2 points, aren't you Jason?
Where's your crown king nothing?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jason Larsen wrote:How did it feel to be on TV again, Ian?
That wasn't as nerve-wracking as Countdown, I suppose there's very little time to let the mind wander.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
Where's your crown king nothing?
Not "Hero Of the Day"? I suppose that's possibly Kirk :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for being honest, Ian. But, Martin...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:Very kind everyone!

I'm grumpy about my collapse towards the end, and in my defence, I didn't know what birettas were at that point, hadn't been on Apterous when it was filmed. My of the others, I just didn't have a clue. I was particularly unhappy at getting the first Israeli PM wrong, that was just a total brain freeze. Ah well, as you say, no disgrace!
Did you know that you were only a few points away (ie were you working the score out in your head as you were answering the questions)?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Very kind everyone!

Did you know that you were only a few points away (ie were you working the score out in your head as you were answering the questions)?
I knew I was close, and I also knew that getting the last five or so wrong wasn't doing me any good...
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

That was very bad luck, Ian. I thought your GK questions were harder than most, but towards the end you started to get a bit panicky, which can't have helped. You'll do better next year.

I've always wanted to know - do you have to offer three or four subjects when you apply, just in case you go on to the next round, or do you get sent home for a few weeks to bone up on something new?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:That was very bad luck, Ian. I thought your GK questions were harder than most, but towards the end you started to get a bit panicky, which can't have helped. You'll do better next year.

I've always wanted to know - do you have to offer three or four subjects when you apply, just in case you go on to the next round, or do you get sent home for a few weeks to bone up on something new?
You have to give three topics when you apply, although mine were all changed after I got accpeted on negotiation with the researchers. They don't like repeats of anything from the last few series, nor anything too obscure or narrow. It was tough for me to settle on three topics in the end, Metallica being my best and first compromise.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:You have to give three topics when you apply, although mine were all changed after I got accpeted on negotiation with the researchers.
Come on, you could have guessed that we'd ask what the other two were...!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Ian Volante wrote:You have to give three topics when you apply, although mine were all changed after I got accpeted on negotiation with the researchers. They don't like repeats of anything from the last few series, nor anything too obscure or narrow. It was tough for me to settle on three topics in the end, Metallica being my best and first compromise.
I have also heard that you may not choose anything you have professional knowledge of - brain surgeons and rocket scientists have to choose FA cup results, only bus conductors and footballers may answer questions on brain surgery or rocket science.

What are you going to choose next year?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:You have to give three topics when you apply, although mine were all changed after I got accpeted on negotiation with the researchers.
Come on, you could have guessed that we'd ask what the other two were...!
My semi (oo-er) would have been on Gary Oldman, although I was hoping to change this due to the dearth of research material. As for the final, I can't even remember...

As for next year, can you go on twice?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Ian Volante wrote:As for next year, can you go on twice?
Oh yes, there was one old guy who tried year after year for ages and finally won it. You just need to read up enough subjects. Have you thought of "History of Countdown"? Who was the guest in Dictionary Corner the day Carol dropped a bunch of letters on her foot? What word did Jo Brand suggest for ABNOKXNOM?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I thought you played really well. As you say, it was just a shame about the last few questions, but you can hold your head high - you did yourself proud!
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Just watched this on Virgin Catch-Up and was astonished that a poster on this forum could have such a deep knowledge of all things general. I thought you were brilliant and so unlucky not to win. Well done indeed.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Debbi Flack wrote:I thought you played really well. As you say, it was just a shame about the last few questions, but you can hold your head high - you did yourself proud!
Chris Corby wrote:Just watched this on Virgin Catch-Up and was astonished that a poster on this forum could have such a deep knowledge of all things general. I thought you were brilliant and so unlucky not to win. Well done indeed.
Cheers! I'm not sure everyone else around here would entirely agree with your assessment of their knowledge however :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What is the Virgin Catch-Up?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jason Larsen wrote:What is the Virgin Catch-Up?
It's some silly tradition that college boys have when they first leave home.