Total Wipeout

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Total Wipeout

Post by Joseph Bolas »

It actually started last week, but a new gameshow was on tonight called Total Wipeout, hosted by Richard Hammond.

For anyone who may not have heard of it, each week, 20 contestants compete in a series of challenges in an attempt to win £10,000. These challenges are based in large pools of water and generally involve large assault courses that participants must try and cross.

The best bit about the show has to be when the people go flying in the water after trying to pass The Big Balls, although some people have already suffered injuries from their falls. The end obstacle course is brilliant as well and looks quite tough to complete.

All in all though, I would definitely say that the obstacle courses are a lot better than the Krypton Factor's :)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Re: Total Wipeout

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed the programme. The participants need to be very fit to get over all those obstacles, but I found it all very exciting. I'm not surprised there have been some injuries and I just hope nobody did any permanent damage. I'm looking forward to next week's show now. I must admit that, when it was on last Saturday, I thought it was a bit silly and reminded me of one of those Japanese programmes, so didn't take much notice, but I felt very different when I saw it tonight.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

it's brilliant but it's just like takeshi's castle, don't you think. richard hammond is a great presenter
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

kathleen batlle wrote:I thought it was a bit silly and reminded me of one of those Japanese programmes
The Japanese are brilliant at doing endurance gameshows. There have been shows like Takeshi's Castle, Unbeatable Banzuke and Ninja Warrior to name a few.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I never liked any of those Japanese programmes, but must admit that I didn't pay much attention or switched the tv off. Maybe if I'd taken more interest I would have enjoyed them as much as I did tonight's Total Wipeout.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's called just, "Wipeout" here and no, it has nothing to do with the game show in the UK that was originally hosted by Paul Daniels.

I see the resemblance between (Total) Wipeout and Takeshi's Castle. In fact, the producers of the original Japanese version of Takeshi's Castle sued the producers of American Wipeout because they thought it was a carbon copy of their idea.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

For anyone who has been watching Total Wipeout, they are now looking for contestants for the next series if anyone is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beon ... eout.shtml
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:For anyone who has been watching Total Wipeout, they are now looking for contestants for the next series if anyone is interested:

Go on Stitcher!!!!!!! :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:For anyone who has been watching Total Wipeout, they are now looking for contestants for the next series if anyone is interested:

Go on Stitcher!!!!!!! :D
:lol: It doesn't look as tough as the assualt course on The Krypton Factor, so maybe Stitcher should go for it :D

I think the best round in the game is The Sweeper.