Spoilers and comments for Wednesday 11/02/2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Spoilers and comments for Wednesday 11/02/2009

Post by Martin Gardner »

If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Spoilers and comments for Wednesday 11/02/2009

Post by Charlie Reams »

Amirite in thinking that today is Kate Richardson's debut?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:Amirite in thinking that today is Kate Richardson's debut?
You certainly are. Are we to presume anything from Kate's "you should just play the game for the game's sake, not to win" post?... we shall see!
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

TELECOM for game 1 ?
(Not sure if it is a trade word, or has it become generic ?)

ANODAL for game 4
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:TELECOM for game 1 ?
(Not sure if it is a trade word, or has it become generic ?)

ANODAL for game 4
I was wondering about ANODAL in round 4 but played safe with NODAL. TELECOM is also ok (that beats me as well). Good start from Kate, not the easiest letters so far, either.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I actually got this in the time (very rare for me) using the multiple of nine rule:

75 - 10 - 10 + 1 = 56
56 * 9 = 504
504 + 4 = 508

Ta-da.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

THEROPODS? Brilliant.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

THEROPODS, one of the best words we've ever had! I was fairly happy with DOORSTEP.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Bugger me, that was quite a spot!

Edit: was I alone in waiting for John Sergeant to declare himself the ROUNDEST Strictly contestant?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

When he was talking about 8s that described him on Strictly I was sure ROUNDEST would appear.

THEROPODS is one of the all-time great spots, very impressive.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Chris Philpot wrote: Edit: was I alone in waiting for John Sergeant to declare himself the ROUNDEST Strictly contestant?
Yeah, that's it, edit your post after I carefully checked no-one else had said that. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Pretty good game, shame about the disallowed words, really. Good stuff.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Sorry Gary! :oops:
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Numbers 3 :

(75 - 5 - 2) x 9 = 68 x 9 = 612; 612 + 5 - 4 = 613.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:Numbers 3 :

I did this too.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

yes this is my debut game, I still don't know where theropods came from, but I wrote it straight down and thought I've got to play this I'll be so gutted if it is correct and don't play it. Thought some form of animal as pods = feet that's about it

I am amazed at my ability to see phantom letters, a great talent, completely wasted on countdown
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Kate Richardson wrote:I am amazed at my ability to see phantom letters, a great talent, completely wasted on countdown
LOL!

I forgot to check the final score, but am I right in thinking you would have won even without THEROPODS (which was indeed a gobsmackingly good spot)?

Great game. I had cotton-wool-for-brains while I was playing along - you would have beaten me by a mile. Although like the others I did see ROUNDEST. As well as ROUNDIEST. Which almost certainly isn't a word.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Refreshing to hear Jeff refer casually to a contestant's same-sex partner in their intro. Don't believe I've heard that happen on Countdown before. Also refreshing to hear Susie say ARSIEST, though it seems odd that it's deemed OK to say that on afternoon TV but not WANKERS.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Kate Richardson wrote:yes this is my debut game, I still don't know where theropods came from, but I wrote it straight down and thought I've got to play this I'll be so gutted if it is correct and don't play it. Thought some form of animal as pods = feet that's about it

I am amazed at my ability to see phantom letters, a great talent, completely wasted on countdown
You did really well, Kate, and the 'phantom letters' syndrome seems to hit me almost every day. I was shouting DENTIST at my tv today when there was only one T in the selection. It must be a bit embarrassing when you're actually in the game though. THEROPODS was a great spot though. Hope you can keep it up tomorrow. Incidentally, my spell check doesn't recognise Theropods and has underlined the word in red, I wonder why?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:
Kate Richardson wrote:yes this is my debut game, I still don't know where theropods came from, but I wrote it straight down and thought I've got to play this I'll be so gutted if it is correct and don't play it. Thought some form of animal as pods = feet that's about it

You did really well, Kate, and the 'phantom letters' syndrome seems to hit me almost every day. I was shouting DENTIST at my tv today when there was only one T in the selection. It must be a bit embarrassing when you're actually in the game though. THEROPODS was a great spot though. Hope you can keep it up tomorrow. Incidentally, my spell check doesn't recognise Theropods and has underlined the word in red, I wonder why?
Just a really rare word, plus your spell checker probably uses a smaller dictionary than the ODE.
Lisa Thomson

Post by Lisa Thomson »

Well done Kate! Glad I wasn't up against you!
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

A few other things
Yes it did feel good to be able to mention my partner sara without a big deal being made out of it (I've been out for 25 years so I think we can safely say it's not a phase), it is a terrifying ordeal but worth it for the teapot.

Theropods means "beast feet" there's a lot of information on wikipedia and even a blog called why i hate theropods, if anyone wants to find out more.

I want to pay tribute to Janet. She was a smashing woman, me and sara went out to dinner with her. I'm really glad she won a few games.

I had a blast and I cannot recommend the experience enough, it was brilliant spending the day with people who all supported each other and just played the game (like cricket !)

The production team were welcoming and supportive as well....so don't be shy if you're dithering get auditioning (which is almost poetry)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Chris Davies wrote:
Mark Kudlowski wrote:Numbers 3 :

I did this too.
And me.

Very impressive stuff today Kate, well done.The female dominance of this series continues, although us guys have still to unveil the Bevatron missile which should hopefully start to even the score for us.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Refreshing to hear Jeff refer casually to a contestant's same-sex partner in their intro. Don't believe I've heard that happen on Countdown before. Also refreshing to hear Susie say ARSIEST, though it seems odd that it's deemed OK to say that on afternoon TV but not WANKERS.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/12/12 ... n_britain/

I can't find a newer list than 2000, but apart from the racist words the list possibly won't change much. WANKER comes in at #4 on the offence league table, ARSE-type words (excluding arsehole) is way down at #20

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/no ... ing.uknews is a newer article that suggests WANKER is losing it's status though. Interesting that TITS isn't considered offensive in the slightest but was part of George Carlin's routine on words you cannot say on television.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I typed big tits into images.google.com, and it came up with this.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Martin Gardner wrote:I typed big tits into images.google.com, and it came up with this.
A lovely pair there.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Weird that for some reason that list includes "bloody" under the heading "Religious words", presumably as a result of the common misapprehension that it is derived from "by our lady" as a reference to the Virgin Mary.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

At the risk of being off-topic, what did I type to get this?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Weird that for some reason that list includes "bloody" under the heading "Religious words", presumably as a result of the common misapprehension that it is derived from "by our lady" as a reference to the Virgin Mary.
Couldn't it just be the blood of Christ though?
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

THEROPODS....simply amazing. Easily the most arousing 9 since Charlie's ERECTIONS. Was chuffed to get 508 in the time (Martin's way).
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

4 x 75 = 300

300 + 9 - 5 = 304

304 x 2 = 608

608 + 5 = 613
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rich Priest wrote: Very impressive stuff today Kate, well done.The female dominance of this series continues, although us guys have still to unveil the Bevatron missile which should hopefully start to even the score for us.
Awww what a nice thing to say! I did miss THEROPODS though which is easily the best word of the series so far. Awesome stuff Kate.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Great display Kate - What a blinding finish with THEROPODS and a quick spot on the Conundrum.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Well done!

Al
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Martin Gardner wrote:At the risk of being off-topic, what did I type to get this?
That would be your common shag.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:At the risk of being off-topic, what did I type to get this?
Yep! - Looks like a good shag to me ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Allan Harmer wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Yep! - Looks like a good shag to me ;)
Interesting, in the USA you can "shag fly balls" which is not a homosexual act, but rather in baseball when you chase down some balls hit in the air to the outfield area, and catch them. It's funny how that sounds out of context.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Also refreshing to hear Susie say ARSIEST, though it seems odd that it's deemed OK to say that on afternoon TV but not WANKERS.
It was half-term when Charlie came up with that gem of a seven. One of the producers (I want to say Kate) told me that that was the reason for WANKERS falling foul of the bleeper.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Congratulations Kate, and I join just about everyone else on the planet in being in awe of THEROPODS. When you declared 9 I paused the TV for another minute or so to look for it, eventually deciding that there wasn't one, and instead I should just try and find out what daft word you were about to declare. I even gave up on that, and decided that you must have used a letter twice or something. Brilliant stuff.

I also can't let this pass
Rich Priest wrote:unveil the Bevatron missile
without a childish snicker.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Refreshing to hear Jeff refer casually to a contestant's same-sex partner in their intro. Don't believe I've heard that happen on Countdown before.
Yeah, I thought that was nice as well. I doubt some previous presenters could've handled it so relaxedly.
Kate Richardson wrote:I've been out for 25 years so I think we can safely say it's not a phase
lol. Does anyone still say this?
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Super start Kate.
Wonder if any one else in the country got THEROPODS and how long it will be before it comes up again?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

THEROPODS! What can I say? I also was sat pretty on DOORSTEP and... :o Congrats Kate. Its a shame about those phantom letters you could have "knocked up" a century in your first game. Was thrilled to deduce TELECOM after getting to the break room late and seeing the board for under one second. Also FEIJOA was there in the AIRFARE round. Here's an excerpt between me and my dim supervisor:

Me: TORPEDOS for 8... No wait DOORSTEP as an anagram.
Kira: Oh I see because that one's more letters.
Me: :roll: No its the same
Kira: ... Yeah but its a bigger word

Also its nice to hear such admiration for your opponent, and that you and Sara ate out with her afterwards.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Also its nice to hear such admiration for your opponent, and that you and Sara ate out with her afterwards.
hahahaha... I just shed a tear of laughter... inter-thread humour at its greatest!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Also its nice to hear such admiration for your opponent, and that you and Sara ate out with her afterwards.
hahahaha... I just shed a tear of laughter... inter-thread humour at its greatest!
I lolled too, but I wasn't going to draw attention to it, what with 'the current climate' :?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:I lolled too, but I wasn't going to draw attention to it, what with 'the current climate' :?
Jon 'Diplomacy' Corby. I hope we're not suddenly going to be having to get acquainted with a new cut-down, boring, respectful version of you. That would suck.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Jon 'Diplomacy' Corby. I hope we're not suddenly going to be having to get acquainted with a new cut-down, boring, respectful Corby.
Heh, nah 8-)

I was just concerned about not dragging poor old Dinos into it unnecessarily!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Jon Corby wrote:I was just concerned about not dragging poor old Dinos into it unnecessarily!
There must be a robust manly joke to be made there, if I were a robust man.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Only just now caught up with the show. THEROPODS was awesome, one of the best spots ever - well done!
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

David O'Donnell wrote:Only just now caught up with the show. THEROPODS was awesome, one of the best spots ever - well done!
Agreed, I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't get that. Anyone who spotted that would feel justified in feeling a bit smug!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Just watched this today. Fantastic game, Kate! :)
Wonderful 9, and a great win. Looking forward to watching Thursday's game.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli