um, How Long is the Current Series?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

um, How Long is the Current Series?

Post by Clare Sudbery »

eek, sorry about that, I locked the other topic by accident. So, um, trying again...

Does anyone know how long the current series lasts? I've just been given the dates for the recording of the series final, and was surprised by how soon it is!

And is it just me, or is the new C4 Countdown website a bit hopeless? I've just totally failed to find a way of getting any useful info out of it, e.g. details of current series, or how to apply to go on show or be in audience...
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Re: um, How Long is the Current Series?

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

The finals are normally in June I think, if that's any help.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

The series final goes out on Friday June 26th I believe.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

How odd, as they seem (and I hope this isn't privileged info, but I wasn't told that it was, and I can't see why it should be) to be recording it at the end of April. Turnaround from recording to airing is normally quicker? Is there likely to be a gap at some point in the current series, for racing or somesuch?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Clare Sudbery wrote:How odd, as they seem (and I hope this isn't privileged info, but I wasn't told that it was, and I can't see why it should be) to be recording it at the end of April. Turnaround from recording to airing is normally quicker? Is there likely to be a gap at some point in the current series, for racing or somesuch?
The timing varies (dunno what depending on, studio/presenter/guest availability?) - there was over a month between filming & transmission of my shows, and one of my fellow finalists (Paul Howe) I think said he filmed some that went out a week later.

AFAIK Series 61 will start straight off on the 29th June, but there WILL be another 4 week break during the summer like last year.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jon Corby wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:How odd, as they seem (and I hope this isn't privileged info, but I wasn't told that it was, and I can't see why it should be) to be recording it at the end of April. Turnaround from recording to airing is normally quicker? Is there likely to be a gap at some point in the current series, for racing or somesuch?
The timing varies (dunno what depending on, studio/presenter/guest availability?) - there was over a month between filming & transmission of my shows, and one of my fellow finalists (Paul Howe) I think said he filmed some that went out a week later.

AFAIK Series 61 will start straight off on the 29th June, but there WILL be another 4 week break during the summer like last year.
Filmed on a Wednesday, first show was broadcast on Saturday. :o

I think they usually record blocks of 15-20 shows at a time, so time to air depends on whereabouts you are in the block. There's also Goodwood in March (as you'd know if you'd listened to the podcast)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Paul Howe wrote:There's also Goodwood in March (as you'd know if you'd listened to the podcast)
I haven't heard the podcast, but it's the Cheltenham Festival that normally causes a four day interruption in March. Glorious Goodwood is later in the year, around July/August. In 2008, Goodwood caused no problem, as Countdown was already taking a four week break. A few more details here.
Last edited by Howard Somerset on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:There's also Goodwood in March (as you'd know if you'd listened to the podcast)
I haven't heard the podcast, but it's the Cheltenham Festival that normally causes a four day interruption in March. Glorious Goodwood is later in the year, July/August. In 2008, Goodwood caused no problem, as Countdown was already taking a four week break.
Are you saying Jono lied to me, Howard? I don't believe it, I just don't.

In any case there'll definitely by some sort of horse related interruption to Countdown in March.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Paul Howe wrote:Are you saying Jono lied to me, Howard? I don't believe it, I just don't.
Even the greatest of the great can get it wrong sometimes. :)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Ta.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Clare Sudbery wrote:And is it just me, or is the new C4 Countdown website a bit hopeless?
Possibly, but I have just discovered the Countdown game on it and spent a happy 15 minutes playing along. The pace is a bit leaden compared to Apterous, but the graphics are a hoot - I really laughed watching Carol writing down my numbers solution. Wasn't too keen on my pink, female animated avatar though...
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I have just discovered the Countdown game on it and spent a happy 15 minutes playing along.
Ha yes, me too. The ads were a bit annoying though...
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Post by Brian Whitworth »

Clare Sudbery wrote:eek, sorry about that, I locked the other topic by accident. So, um, trying again...

Does anyone know how long the current series lasts? I've just been given the dates for the recording of the series final, and was surprised by how soon it is!

And is it just me, or is the new C4 Countdown website a bit hopeless? I've just totally failed to find a way of getting any useful info out of it, e.g. details of current series, or how to apply to go on show or be in audience...
Here u go :)

http://www.channel4.com/microsites/T/ta ... tdown.html
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Cool Brian, ta. But how did you find it? There were no obvious links and I couldn't find it via the search function?
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Post by Brian Whitworth »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Cool Brian, ta. But how did you find it? There were no obvious links and I couldn't find it via the search function?
you need to go to http://www.channel4.com/takepart which is where you can apply for most of channel4's shows :P
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I reckon we should start a 'Clueless Clare' subforum for her to post all of these. ;)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I reckon we should start a 'Clueless Clare' subforum for her to post all of these. ;)
LOL! Sounds good to me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Clare Sudbery wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I reckon we should start a 'Clueless Clare' subforum for her to post all of these. ;)
LOL! Sounds good to me.
If it means anything to you Clare to have a bit of support, I always had you down as inquisitve as opposed to clueless! :)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Matt Morrison wrote:If it means anything to you Clare to have a bit of support, I always had you down as inquisitve as opposed to clueless! :)
Aw bless you Matt, that's a really nice thing to say. And after all I do have a BSc and an MSc and I'm actually quite clever really and and and

[mutter mutter mutter]

And right on cue, I have another question: If the avatars aren't appearing (which they're not, right now, for me at any rate), is this an extra sign that the Apterous server is down? Given that there have been no games completed since 8.30pm and I can't log on?
tom withers

Post by tom withers »

Clare Sudbery wrote:eek, sorry about that, I locked the other topic by accident. So, um, trying again...

How long is the new series ? .

If it goes on for one more day it will be too long for me . I used to enjoy the programme even with daft Desmond but not any more . Not to put too fine a point on it , come back Carol all is forgiven . I would even overlook your hair extensions and whacky wardrobe . and to think I used to moan at the old Count Down !!.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

stop agonising clare, go for it, what happens, happens, winning is for fat cats, any timorous countdown beasties out there, please apply, please audition, please appropriate this wonderful, nostalgic, emotive, empowering game from geeks, nerds, lexicons and start smelling the flowers again...allow yourselves to lose....it's ok....enjoy playing
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kate Richardson wrote:stop agonising clare, go for it, what happens, happens, winning is for fat cats, any timorous countdown beasties out there, please apply, please audition, please appropriate this wonderful, nostalgic, emotive, empowering game from geeks, nerds, lexicons and start smelling the flowers again...allow yourselves to lose....it's ok....enjoy playing
Yeah! Taking things seriously is totally sad! Let's all just do whatever grabs our attention and never work to be good at anything!
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Kate Richardson wrote:allow yourselves to lose....it's ok....enjoy playing
Oh Kate, that's such a lovely sentiment and makes loooooads of sense, but I just can't help it. I fell in a cauldron of testosterone when I was a baby. I've always been like this, i.e. fiercely (even when unfulfillably) competitive!
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Charlie Reams wrote:Let's all just do whatever grabs our attention and never work to be good at anything!
That's not really what she said. There's something to be said for relaxing and having fun. Although I would like to stick up for all the geeks and nerds (myself included)...
Kate Richardson
Rookie

having thought about it a bit, what i meant to say was empower your geekiness for womankind...purlease,,,, appropriate it from the timorous beasties (both male and female) but above all, stop trying to over-analyse, just go for it....everyone whoever plays this game is left with a blank page we must fill it with a word best we can, however we purloin/nick/borrow/pronate/prolate/cervine it
Kate Richardson
Rookie

charlie,lad, i understand what you're saying but......how do we move on from people out to play, and kill and win (geeks if you will)....perhaps they're called with octochamps (perhaps they're not) ...compared to championes.....compared to people who applied on a whim, or a bet or with no university education but a hell of a lot of pride....compared to people who love to play, to compete, to lose on a chance, on a fascinating word....once you've lost, you've lost, there seems to be no middle ground.....it's a shame....surely you understand this....though i recognise many who subscribe to this forum will not....and let us all calm down..... get our teapot, satisfy our mothers.... and just bloody play.... for the sheer hell of it.....bugger the consequences....don'tcha love elipses.....
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kate, have you heard of sentences?
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Kate, have you heard of sentences?
[hissy fit removed]

PS. Empowering my geekiness for womankind, LOL! Rah.
Last edited by Clare Sudbery on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sorry to crush your individualism and everything, but reading a long block of text without sentences is hard work.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

In answer the Clare's original question: um, How Long is the Current Series?

The answer is... (as Phil and Charlie have noticed)... not as long as one of Kate's sentences. :lol: ;)

I like your sentiment Kate. Maybe if I ever read it over and over I'd pluck up the courage to go for it. :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kate Richardson wrote:stop agonising clare, go for it, what happens, happens, winning is for fat cats, any timorous countdown beasties out there, please apply, please audition, please appropriate this wonderful, nostalgic, emotive, empowering game from geeks, nerds, lexicons and start smelling the flowers again...allow yourselves to lose....it's ok....enjoy playing
I know from the Internet Scrabble Club that certain player, shall we say the weaker players, think try hard to win and enjoying the game are mutually exclusive. I got a lot of enjoyment out of playing hard and really trying to win. Something can be even more worthwhile if you have to work for it (think A-levels, degrees, jobs). It's really not a contradiction to say you can work hard at something and have fun at the same time. I'm hoping to go to the next Co-tournament and I don't really care if I win or lose. OK if I lose all six I'll be pissed off for a while, but I'm going there to play my best, and if I win, great. If I lose, so what? Nobody wins thousands of pounds playing Countdown, I'm there to enjoy it.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

tom withers wrote: If it goes on for one more day it will be too long for me . I used to enjoy the programme even with daft Desmond but not any more . Not to put too fine a point on it , come back Carol all is forgiven . I would even overlook your hair extensions and whacky wardrobe . and to think I used to moan at the old Count Down !!.
Out of interest, Tom, why did you join a Countdown forum just to say you hate Countdown? Were you expecting a chorus of "We all hate Countdown too, that's why we're on a Countdown forum"?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

They said the series would run "through the summer."
tom withers

Post by tom withers »

David Roe wrote:
tom withers wrote: If it goes on for one more day it will be too long for me . I used to enjoy the programme even with daft Desmond but not any more . Not to put too fine a point on it , come back Carol all is forgiven . I would even overlook your hair extensions and whacky wardrobe . and to think I used to moan at the old Count Down !!.
Out of interest, Tom, why did you join a Countdown forum just to say you hate Countdown? Were you expecting a chorus of "We all hate Countdown too, that's why we're on a Countdown forum"?

Dear David Roe , Thank you for your observation . Who said anything about hating Countdown ? . Was I expecting a large number of forum afficianados to agree with me ? ; certainly not . I should have nailed my flag to the mast and simply said that , in my opinion , Rachel was a poor choice , and that the present Countdown does not make for easy viewing.

It's a funny thing about most forums , There is always someone ready with a knee jerk and ill thought out response . You did not disappoint !! .

I'm out of here .
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

tom withers wrote: It's a funny thing about most forums , There is always someone ready with a knee jerk and ill thought out response.
Wanker! Oh, I guess I'm guilty of this too.
tom withers wrote:I'm out of here .
I think I speak for the vast majority of members of this forum when I say we'll live.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hooray !
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Don't let the door smack your arse on the way out.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Dear David Roe , Thank you for your observation . Who said anything about hating Countdown ? . Was I expecting a large number of forum afficianados to agree with me ? ; certainly not . I should have nailed my flag to the mast and simply said that , in my opinion , Rachel was a poor choice , and that the present Countdown does not make for easy viewing.

It's a funny thing about most forums , There is always someone ready with a knee jerk and ill thought out response . You did not disappoint !! .

I'm out of here .
Do you really have to have a space before and after every punctuation mark?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?