December's Daily Duels

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Re: December's Daily Duels

Post by Gary Male »

Very happy to get BALDRIC yesterday, after spending what felt like an eternity between going for that or sticking a K on the end. I'm glad I stuck. If only my conundruming was better.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Strange day for me, as I was in the minority in getting STINKWEED and UNEATABLE, but also in the minority in missing TACTICITY ( :oops: ) and CARPETING (double :oops:).

As far as I can remember, AUTOCLAVE is the first Duel conundrum to have evaded every single participant. (I notice several people, like me, guessed COVALUATE*.)
FTR, I missed STINKWEED but got UNEATABLE and TACTICITY. I also guessed COVALUATE for AUTOCLAVE.

Sadly, I'll never know whether I would have spotted CARPETING, as my PC crashed before that point and when I tried to resume the game later I got some kind of Java error (which I failed to make a note of - sorry). :cry:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gary Male wrote:Very happy to get BALDRIC yesterday, after spending what felt like an eternity between going for that or sticking a K on the end. I'm glad I stuck. If only my conundruming was better.
I went for BLACKADDE in a game the other day and it wasn't allowed so assumed BALDRIC wouldn't be either.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gary Male wrote:Very happy to get BALDRIC yesterday, after spending what felt like an eternity between going for that or sticking a K on the end. I'm glad I stuck. If only my conundruming was better.
I am with you on this :). I have only come across the word a few times before, so I was pleased to find it was the max for that round :D

Too many conundrums yesterday I felt, but I guess I can't complain though :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I think this months duel is going to be a close game between Kirk Bevins and Frank Rodolf. Although the gap is now 13 points, Frank did manage to get within 4 points of knocking Kirk off top spot yesterday.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I think this months duel is going to be a close game between Kirk Bevins and Frank Rodolf. Although the gap is now 13 points, Frank did manage to get within 4 points of knocking Kirk off top spot yesterday.
I've done far less games than Frank too - I couldn't complete any duels that were really long in the 12 days of Christmas/after the new Java came out and also I couldn't complete a few duels over the festive period with the family.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I think this months duel is going to be a close game between Kirk Bevins and Frank Rodolf. Although the gap is now 13 points, Frank did manage to get within 4 points of knocking Kirk off top spot yesterday.
I've done far less games than Frank too - I couldn't complete any duels that were really long in the 12 days of Christmas/after the new Java came out and also I couldn't complete a few duels over the festive period with the family.
Exactly the point I was going to make - I won't win this, even if I were to score more than you (which won't happen anyway).

Congrats!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Frank Rodolf wrote:Exactly the point I was going to make - I won't win this, even if I were to score more than you (which won't happen anyway).

Congrats!
Yeah, I think it is safe to say that Kirk has won the duel for December.

Congratulations Kirk :)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Just to ensure my lasting legacy, I, and not Mr/Mrs TBA, finished runner-up in the December standings. I believe an unscrupulous cheat finished third, so with them ignored, Ben Wilson should be duly promoted to the bronze position.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:Just to ensure my lasting legacy, I, and not Mr/Mrs TBA, finished runner-up in the December standings. I believe an unscrupulous cheat finished third, so with them ignored, Ben Wilson should be duly promoted to the bronze position.
Cheers, I lost this data due to some database tomfoolery and was trying to put off recomputing it. I'll still have to do it eventually to get the scores right, but this will do for now.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:Just to ensure my lasting legacy, I, and not Mr/Mrs TBA, finished runner-up in the December standings. I believe an unscrupulous cheat finished third, so with them ignored, Ben Wilson should be duly promoted to the bronze position.
I'm assuming you mean me as the unscrupulous cheat, but I didn't actually come 3rd, I came 5th.

EDIT: This is what I got for the top 3 players:

Kirk Bevins: 726 points
Dan Vanniasingham: 685 points
Charlie Reams: 649 points - sorry Ben

I didn't work out the games played though.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I'm assuming you mean me as the unscrupulous cheat, but I didn't actually come 3rd, I came 5th.
You assume wrong (guilty conscience, perhaps?) - I was referring to Frank "I'd feel guilty if I'd overtaken Kirk, but beating everyone else is fair game" Rodolf.
EDIT: This is what I got for the top 3 players:

My memory says otherwise, I held off Rodolf to take 2nd (without cheating, I'm that fucking good) and Ben was 4th.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I'm assuming you mean me as the unscrupulous cheat, but I didn't actually come 3rd, I came 5th.
You assume wrong (guilty conscience, perhaps?) - I was referring to Frank "I'd feel guilty if I'd overtaken Kirk, but beating everyone else is fair game" Rodolf.
I'm not pleased with myself that I cheated and I am sorry for cheating. I thought you might've meant Frank and I worked out his total and got 589, but mine worked out at 606, so I did think it was me who had ended up with 3rd place.
Dan Vanniasingham wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:EDIT: This is what I got for the top 3 players:

My memory says otherwise, I held off Rodolf to take 2nd (without cheating, I'm that fucking good) and Ben was 4th.
I might be wrong then, and if I am, I do apologise.