Who has non-Countdown-style hobbies?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Who has non-Countdown-style hobbies?

Post by Matt Morrison »

George Jenkins (four times) wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Sex.
I remember it well
Haha... are you going to update us every day George just to prove you haven't forgotten it? :)
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Matt Morrison wrote:
George Jenkins (four times) wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Sex.
I remember it well
Haha... are you going to update us every day George just to prove you haven't forgotten it? :)
Matt, the reason that I have not forgotten sex, is as my wife keeps reminding me. "You've had more than your share"
I don't think that three times a night, and on one occasion, again in the morning is excessive. I kid you not, and I enjoy my memories and (sigh), that's all I am capable of. George.
Ross M

Post by Ross M »

I'm slightly obsessed with raising bonsai trees even though I'm not very good at it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Callum Laddiman wrote:Does anyone here do cross country running? Apart from Ollie.
I used to, until I realised that on Saturday afternoons I preferred running after girls than through ankle-deep mud.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Callum Laddiman wrote:Does anyone here do cross country running? Apart from Ollie.
I used to, until I realised that on Saturday afternoons I preferred running after girls than through ankle-deep mud.
I know it's obvious in hindsight but you should have gone for the best of both worlds and taken up chasing girls through ankle-deep mud. Possibly breast-deep.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Something I have been interested in taking up is learning to how play the piano (though with my short attention span, I don't think I would get far). I am a fan of classical music and have been interested in learning how to play pieces like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Mozart's Sonata in C Major etc.
Ross M

Post by Ross M »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Something I have been interested in taking up is learning to how play the piano (though with my short attention span, I don't think I would get far). I am a fan of classical music and have been interested in learning how to play pieces like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Mozart's Sonata in C Major etc.
Nice one, I've just taken up piano but learning Moonlight is tough as it's in C# and I can't read sheet music very well! There's some great tutorials on YouTube though.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
I know it's obvious in hindsight but you should have gone for the best of both worlds and taken up chasing girls through ankle-deep mud. Possibly breast-deep.
I've got an image of the scene from The Meaning of Life where the gentlemen chooses the manner of his own death...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

"I'm slightly obsessed with raising bonsai trees even though I'm not very good at it."

As they're not very big, you could argue nobody is good.......

Kevin
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Ross M wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Something I have been interested in taking up is learning to how play the piano (though with my short attention span, I don't think I would get far). I am a fan of classical music and have been interested in learning how to play pieces like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Mozart's Sonata in C Major etc.
Nice one, I've just taken up piano but learning Moonlight is tough as it's in C# and I can't read sheet music very well! There's some great tutorials on YouTube though.
I play piano, from Moonlight Sonata to boogie woogie. I am self taught and have a problem with stage fright. My golf Club has a grand piano in the Club-house, so as the clubroom was empty I played the first movement of the "Moonlight". when I got up from the piano, I saw that several people had come in and were quietly listening. One Lady had tears in her eyes, so the emotion of the music must have effected her. I made a joke and apologized for my terrible playing, thereby making her suffer. So remember lads and lassies. If you play music, you give people pleasure.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I play piano. Not self-taught, but with experience and changing tastes, ones musical style(s) and technique can follow new paths.
Music is an emotional experience, some of which can be profound, ecstatic even.
One can experience great joy or the tingle factor, or intense sadness.
Music can refresh memories, and the nostalgia itself can stir the emotions.
I find the performers who thrill and move me most are those who are not afraid to lose themselves in the music;
to "live" it and convey its very spirit to the listener.
Some performers can be technically accurate, but lack emotion. The result is cold.
But those who feel it with their emotions invariably enable me to feel it too.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I'm learning the piano in school! It's difficult- well, I find the reading music part a little hard! I prefer to learn it off by heart and play it! Of course, you don't get marks for that in the exam, they expect you to read the music and follow it. I personally like jazz music the most, and I prefer playing it to other pieces. I get awful stage fright when playing though, and my piano teacher is making me play in a concert and a competition! It's a duet and when another performer joins in, it's hard to keep up, especially in this duet- my partner plays far too fast for me. I admit that if I'd practised more I'd probably be able to keep up but right now it's tough. Then again, I know both parts and her part is slightly easier!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Ralph Gillions wrote:I play piano. Not self-taught, but with experience and changing tastes, ones musical style(s) and technique can follow new paths.
I find the performers who thrill and move me most are those who are not afraid to lose themselves in the music;
Some performers can be technically accurate, but lack emotion. The result is cold.
I couldn't have put it better myself Ralph, and in my last message, I described playing the "Moonlight" in my golf-club, and the lady with tears in her eyes. Although I joked with her about ruining Beethoven, I can tell you that I felt pretty good. But! I feel frustrated that I can't play better than I can, but I have to accept that we all have different levels of talent.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

George Jenkins wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:I play piano. Not self-taught, but with experience and changing tastes, ones musical style(s) and technique can follow new paths.
I couldn't have put it better myself Ralph, and in my last message, I described playing the "Moonlight" in my golf-club, and the lady with tears in her eyes. Although I joked with her about ruining Beethoven, I can tell you that I felt pretty good. But! I feel frustrated that I can't play better than I can, but I have to accept that we all have different levels of talent.
Nah, I have terrible rhythm and I've never played a musical instrument. Anything to do with art, music, dancing I'm poor at it.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ross M wrote:
I actually have the sheet music for the Moonlight Sonata, but no keyboard :(
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Joseph Bolas wrote: I actually have the sheet music for the Moonlight Sonata, but no keyboard :(
Don't let that bother you Joseph - I often find the version in my head is better than the one I
produce on the keyboard.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ralph Gillions wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: I actually have the sheet music for the Moonlight Sonata, but no keyboard :(
Don't let that bother you Joseph - I often find the version in my head is better than the one I
produce on the keyboard.
But I can't really learn it, if I don't have a keyboard :lol: :D

Unless there are online keyboard sites :lol:
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Hannah O wrote:I'm learning the piano in school! It's difficult- well, I find the reading music part a little hard! I prefer to learn it off by heart and play it! Of course, you don't get marks for that in the exam, they expect you to read the music and follow it. I personally like jazz music the most, and I prefer playing it to other pieces. I get awful stage fright when playing though, and my piano teacher is making me play in a concert and a competition! It's a duet and when another performer joins in, it's hard to keep up, especially in this duet- my partner plays far too fast for me. I admit that if I'd practised more I'd probably be able to keep up but right now it's tough. Then again, I know both parts and her part is slightly easier!
Hannah, I told a little fib, I should have written that I used to suffer from stage fright, but I don't now.
My problem is that I have a severed nerve in my left shoulder and a crushed ligament in my right shoulder (I'm a bit accident prone), and when I'm hammering out Boogie woogie I can feel the strength leaving my left arm. One day I was playing on our Golf club Grand, and when I'd finished a couple of blokes were sarcastic about my playing. Although I knew it wasn't all that bad, their remarks did effect me, and I worried for a long time, and was reluctant to play in the club.

Then I thought, what am I worrying about. I can play some Beethoven, Boogie Woogie, Chopin and quite a lot of popular songs from the 1920's to the 1970's. Yet these two blokes, whom couldn't knock out a tune with one finger think that they are qualified to criticize my playing.

That cured my stage fright, and I'm back to my arrogant, opinionated self.

So Hannah; If your Teacher thinks that you are good enough to play in a concert, relax and do it. Lose yourself in the music because that is your job. Don't think of the Audience, they are there to enjoy the music, and remember that most of them can't do what you can do. It's a matter of confidence, and once you have it, you will be cured of stage fright.
A word about your music Partner. If she is playing to fast for you, she is not playing in a Duet. Put your foot down Hannah, make her slow down.

By the way Hannah; The word Boogie Woogie was invented by Clarence "Pinetop" Smith, and it was the dancing accompanying his style of music. Poor "Pinetop" was shot and killed by a stray bullet fired in a bar room gun fight.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

That is true...I think that I do get influenced by what other people say, so that probably doesn't help! At the moment I don't have many songs in my repetoire, so I need to practice some of my old exam pieces. I played them a few days ago after not playing them since about August, and I found that even if I didn't remember how they went my fingers did! So that made me feel better about my playing.

I think my fear of playing in front of people limits my ability, and I don't think my teacher sees that I'm not fond of it, so maybe she overestimates my ability. As for my partner, once I can play the actual part, I'll point out that we keep speeding up!

I never knew that interesting fact about Boogie Woogie! It's a shame he was shot, but his style has still lived on!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Hannah O wrote:That is true...I think that I do get influenced by what other people say, so that probably doesn't help! At the moment I don't have many songs in my repertoire, so I need to practice some of my old exam pieces. I played them a few days ago after not playing them since about August, and I found that even if I didn't remember how they went my fingers did! So that made me feel better about my playing.

I think my fear of playing in front of people limits my ability, and I don't think my teacher sees that I'm not fond of it, so maybe she overestimates my ability. As for my partner, once I can play the actual part, I'll point out that we keep speeding up!

I never knew that interesting fact about Boogie Woogie! It's a shame he was shot, but his style has still lived on!
Hannah, the fact that you can play music after a break of several Months proves that you have a musical memory. That means that you are a better musician than you think you are. I ought to know, because If I don't play every day, I lose it, and sometimes I forget what I can play.

It would be more fun If you would learn by heart a few popular songs, to make a change from the set music that you have to learn at the moment. I don't mean modern songs, to me they seem tuneless and difficult to play. I like to play the stuff from your Grandparents time, that we could dance to.

Have you noticed Hannah, that I always seem to give you long lectures. It must be the Teacher in me, trying to get out.
Old George
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I see! I think my memory can be quite good sometimes, and if I start on the right piano keys, my fingers can take it from there without me having to make them! I'd like to learn proper songs when I get the chance! Right now it's just set piece after set piece. I think I also need to learn some nice classical music, maybe like the Minute Waltz from the radio show Just a Minute? I can't remember its real name off the top of my head.

As for the lectures, I'm learning new things every day due to them, so you should keep lecturing! I think my inner teacher is still dormant at the moment.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Hannah O wrote:I see! I think my memory can be quite good sometimes, and if I start on the right piano keys, my fingers can take it from there without me having to make them! I'd like to learn proper songs when I get the chance! Right now it's just set piece after set piece. I think I also need to learn some nice classical music, maybe like the Minute Waltz from the radio show Just a Minute? I can't remember its real name off the top of my head.

As for the lectures, I'm learning new things every day due to them, so you should keep lecturing! I think my inner teacher is still dormant at the moment.
Hannah; If you learn to play the "minute Waltz" by Chopin, my estimation of your piano talent has gone right up in the clouds. It is called the Minute Waltz because that is how long it takes to play it, and it is well beyond my ability.
If you learn to play some popular tunes, I believe that it will increase your interest and be less boring than set pieces all the time . If you agree, I will send you copies of some of my sheet music dating from the 1920's to the 1960's. I know that it is well behind the musical taste of young people today, but I am certain that older people would enjoy hearing it. As a budding pianist, that is your job, to entertain, otherwise there is no point to it.

I will need your address, but do NOT publish it in this Forum. I will practice and send the Email using the email Icon on this page. Hopefully you will receive it but nobody else. George
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

George Jenkins wrote:
Hannah O wrote:I see! I think my memory can be quite good sometimes, and if I start on the right piano keys, my fingers can take it from there without me having to make them! I'd like to learn proper songs when I get the chance! Right now it's just set piece after set piece. I think I also need to learn some nice classical music, maybe like the Minute Waltz from the radio show Just a Minute? I can't remember its real name off the top of my head.

Hannah; If you learn to play the "minute Waltz" by Chopin, my estimation of your piano talent has gone right up in the clouds. It is called the Minute Waltz because that is how long it takes to play it, and it is well beyond my ability.
If you learn to play some popular tunes, I believe that it will increase your interest and be less boring than set pieces all the time . If you agree, I will send you copies of some of my sheet music dating from the 1920's to the 1960's. I know that it is well behind the musical taste of young people today, but I am certain that older people would enjoy hearing it. As a budding pianist, that is your job, to entertain, otherwise there is no point to it.

Hannah, I forgot to mention that you must inform your Parents if you have any private contact with any persons on these pages,
However, it seems that I am prevented from carrying out my promise to supply you with sheet music. I am unable to contact you privately through these pages, and it would be unwise to publish Emails and addresses for all the World to see. Perhaps someone can come up with a solution. Old George
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

George Jenkins wrote:It is called the Minute Waltz because that is how long it takes to play it
Not true. If you complete it in one minute, you're playing it too fast.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:It is called the Minute Waltz because that is how long it takes to play it
Not true. If you complete it in one minute, you're playing it too fast.
Phil, I did read that it takes a minute to play, but if I was misinformed, I stand corrected. But it is a very fast piece, and does it depend on the Player's interpretation. (Damm! I thought that I knew everthing)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

George Jenkins wrote:it is a very fast piece, and does it depend on the Player's interpretation.
Of course, but a typical performance of it will be around one-and-a-half to two minutes long. I recall Kenny Everett once playing a recording of it speeded up so that it ran exactly 60 seconds - it sounded manic.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:it is a very fast piece, and does it depend on the Player's interpretation.
Of course, but a typical performance of it will be around one-and-a-half to two minutes long. I recall Kenny Everett once playing a recording of it speeded up so that it ran exactly 60 seconds - it sounded manic.
This reminds me of a recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata which was played at a much faster than normal pace by someone who claimed it wasn't meant to be as funereal as it seems to have become these days. I quite liked it too!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Ian Volante wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
This reminds me of a recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata which was played at a much faster than normal pace by someone who claimed it wasn't meant to be as funereal as it seems to have become these days. I quite liked it too!
I have read that Beethoven himself Did not name it the Moonlight Sonata. It was named by somebody else whom said it reminded him of tranquil moonlight. I also read that Beethoven didn't think much of it. I can understand that when you consider the third movement, which is exhilarating. Did you notice Phil, how I quoted someone else for that information. It's no good getting old if you don't get crafty
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Not sure if you would class this as a hobby, but I used to play a few computer-based riddles, like Clever Waste of Time, Wayfarer's Riddle and Notpron.
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

If I have one hobby that's lasted me for years, it's dabbling. I've had lessons in ice-skating, ballet, tap dancing, climbing and bouldering, trampolining, and horseriding.
At the moment I'm fairly busy with driving lessons, but once I've got my licence and a car, I think I'll have a go at some martial arts.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Roxanne wrote:once I've got my licence and a car, I think I'll have a go at some martial arts.
Wow - are there many martial arts that involve cars? And if not, why not?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:Wow - are there many martial arts that involve cars?
You could do jiu-jitsu in a Daihatsu. Or of course there's Ford Ka-Rate.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Wow - are there many martial arts that involve cars?
You could do jiu-jitsu in a Daihatsu. Or of course there's Ford Ka-Rate.
You could also do Judo or Vale Tudo in a Renault Ludo.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Roxanne wrote:I think I'll have a go at some martial arts.
Excellent we need more martial artists on the forum. I do Wado-Ryu karate but our sensei mixes in a bit of everything. Went to my first kata tournament in a while yesterday and took home bronze in the individual 16+ kyu grades and gold in team kata! (Ok there were only 2 teams involved, but a win's a win!)
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I do Go Kan Ryu karate- I assist the teacher and used to take the class with another assistant every so often. In hindsight, I would have got to a higher belt before agreeing to anything! Congratulations at winning bronze in the kata, Dinos! Kata get difficult once you move past the basics...
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:and took home bronze in the individual 16+ kyu grades (Ok there were only 2 teams involved, but a win's a win!)
Bronze in a 2 way affair? :o
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Went to my first kata tournament in a while yesterday and took home bronze in the individual 16+ kyu grades
When I first read this I thought you'd been beating up 16 year olds.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I've been ignoring this thread since I'm offended by the notion of life outside of Countdown, but I must say it's good to see some fellow pianists here. I've been playing for 8 years now, unfortunately I'm addicted to the virtuosic stuff that I could never hope to play even adequately. Still, it's nice to be able to sit down, forget your worries, and concentrate on making something beautiful, plus it seems to impress the more discerning kind of lady.
Ian Volante wrote:
Interstingly (perhaps), the third movement is close to being a speeded up version of the first, with the exception of some ornamentation. It doesn't sound like it, but if you play through it you'll see that the chord progressions are the same.

You may be right about the tempo. The first movement is unusual for Beethoven in that you can slow it down without losing coherence, but it's possible he meant for it to be played at a faster pace. The main issue with interpretation is with the sustain pedal: Beethoven instructs that it should be depressed for the duration of the piece, but this tends to create a cacophonous effect on modern pianos, which have a lot more resonance than Beethoven-era instruments. However, it's probably true that Beethoven did want to create some dissonance as a backdrop for the haunting harmony, and I think a lot of modern, cleanly pedalled interpretations tend to lose this aspect.
George Jenkins wrote: I have read that Beethoven himself Did not name it the Moonlight Sonata. It was named by somebody else whom said it reminded him of tranquil moonlight. I also read that Beethoven didn't think much of it. I can understand that when you consider the third movement, which is exhilarating. Did you notice Phil, how I quoted someone else for that information. It's no good getting old if you don't get crafty
You're right, and quite a lot of "named" music is christened by someone other than the composer. I'm sure Beethoven did care for it, but he didn't understand why it was esteemed so highly above his other works.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Hannah O wrote:I do Go Kan Ryu karate- I assist the teacher and used to take the class with another assistant every so often. In hindsight, I would have got to a higher belt before agreeing to anything! Congratulations at winning bronze in the kata, Dinos! Kata get difficult once you move past the basics...
Thanks Hannah. I also assist my sensei with the junior class which my brother is in. He's going down to London for a few weeks in March so I'll be running the class on my own for a few sessions soon. Imagine the possibilities of 10 little kung fu hellians at my evil command. MWAHAHA! What belt are you at out of curiosity? I'm currently a 2nd kyu and nearly ready to take my 1st kyu. Yes the katas get trickier all the time, I did Chinto (sp?) and Pas Ai Dai (sp?) at the tournament, although you might have a few different katas to me, studying a different style and all.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:and took home bronze in the individual 16+ kyu grades (Ok there were only 2 teams involved, but a win's a win!)
Bronze in a 2 way affair? :o
Ah the powers of misquoting

Gold in team kata (2 teams)
Bronze in individual kata (8 participants)
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I'm only 6th kyu at the moment, hoping to get my 5th whenever I get graded by the black belt man in charge of my region! I haven't heard of one of your katas, but is it possible that one of them is Bassai Dai?
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Not sure if you would class this as a hobby, but I used to play a few computer-based riddles, like Clever Waste of Time.
Thanks a lot, Joseph! I went and followed that link and lost most of yesterday. And then I bookmarked it, so today may vanish as well.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Paul Howe wrote:I've been ignoring this thread since I'm offended by the notion of life outside of Countdown, but I must say it's good to see some fellow pianists here. I've been playing for 8 years now, unfortunately I'm addicted to the virtuosic stuff that I could never hope to play even adequately. Still, it's nice to be able to sit down, forget your worries, and concentrate on making something beautiful, plus it seems to impress the more discerning kind of lady.
Ian Dolan wrote:
Interestingly (perhaps), the third movement is close to being a speeded up version of the first, with the exception of some ornamentation. It doesn't sound like it, but if you play through it you'll see that the chord progressions are the same.

You may be right about the tempo. The first movement is unusual for Beethoven in that you can slow it down without losing coherence, but it's possible he meant for it to be played at a faster pace. The main issue with interpretation is with the sustain pedal: Beethoven instructs that it should be depressed for the duration of the piece, but this tends to create a cacophonous effect on modern pianos, which have a lot more resonance than Beethoven-era instruments. However, it's probably true that Beethoven did want to create some dissonance as a backdrop for the haunting harmony, and I think a lot of modern, cleanly pedalled interpretations tend to lose this aspect.
George Jenkins wrote: I have read that Beethoven himself Did not name it the Moonlight Sonata. It was named by somebody else whom said it reminded him of tranquil moonlight. I also read that Beethoven didn't think much of it. I can understand that when you consider the third movement, which is exhilarating. Did you notice Phil, how I quoted someone else for that information. It's no good getting old if you don't get crafty
You're right, and quite a lot of "named" music is christened by someone other than the composer. I'm sure Beethoven did care for it, but he didn't understand why it was esteemed so highly above his other works.
RE the Moonlight Sonata and the tempo of the first movement. I have seen on television that the music for Sonatas and concertos written in the 18th---19th century are based on the act of sexual intercourse. I remember a lady musician describing it as such. The first movement Is a slow and exquisite feeling of pleasure which is so relaxing that the hope is, that it will last all night, Or whenever you get lucky.

The second movement is a little bit faster, and now the excitement is increasing and nature is taking control of you. you are now caught up in the music and you are flowing with it anticipating the finale or the climax.
Then comes the climax of the third movement and you are in ecstasy and out of control, carried along by the brilliance of the patterns of the music.

Then it is all over and you experience a feeling of contentment and relaxation.

And that is why every family in the street where I lived in Deptford had at least ten Kids

And that is why I firmly believe that the first movement of the "moonlight" must be played slowly, with the promise passion and exitement to come (No pun intended)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Nicky wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Not sure if you would class this as a hobby, but I used to play a few computer-based riddles, like Clever Waste of Time.
Thanks a lot, Joseph! I went and followed that link and lost most of yesterday. And then I bookmarked it, so today may vanish as well.
It is addictive isn't it :D.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Hannah O wrote:I haven't heard of one of your katas, but is it possible that one of them is Bassai Dai?
That would be it! I've never actually seen it written down so Pas Ai Dai was just a guess! I have to do Chinto for my next grading (which requires a lot of balance), and then Bassai Dai for black belt. I'm more of a kata person than fighting tbh but now that the competition is over I'm concentrating more on kumite and my overall stamina. Good luck passing your 5th kyu when you take it :)
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Well it was close! :) Chinto sounds interesting. Oddly, in GKR karate, Bassai Dai is a red belt kata. I wonder if it's the same kata as your one or if they're completely different but just have the same name...Good luck on your training too!
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Well it was close! :) Chinto sounds interesting. Oddly, in GKR karate, Bassai Dai is a red belt kata. I wonder if it's the same kata as your one or if they're completely different but just have the same name...Good luck on your training too!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

The message's so nice, you say it twice.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

The message's so nice, you say it twice.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

.....and now I've had to read them both twice........
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Apologies for the double-post, no idea how it happened! Thanks Kai :P
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Chris Davies is a collector and creator of the art of cubism.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Derek Hazell wrote:Chris Davies is a collector and creator of the art of cubism.
Are you trying to make a bad cube-associated joke in every unrelated thread? :)

Cheers for resurrecting this awesome thread though - in doing so I just realised I made a typo in my OP - word/world - that no one including me had noticed.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Chris Davies is a collector and creator of the art of cubism.
Are you trying to make a bad cube-associated joke in every unrelated thread? :)
If he can find a slippers related cube joke then that's fine by me.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:Are you trying to make a bad cube-associated joke in every unrelated thread? :)
Well I was . . . just to lighten the mood a bit. But then I decided it was a bit dicey.
Michael Wallace wrote:If he can find a slippers related cube joke then that's fine by me.
If you drop an ice cube on the floor it could get slipper-y.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

On the subject of cubes. I could never do speedcubing, so I went for the other cube-based abilities. Big cubing, blindfold cubing, and cube patterning.
Here's the completely random combination of letters "kai" on a 7x7x7

I also do knights tour blindfold starting on any square and ending on any square (of the opposite colour)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Aye, what is this cube nonsense that's going on?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

No better place to ask - anyone else into photography? any Flickr links?

Mine is http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenoz - mish mash of styles so look at a few pages before deciding they're shit.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:No better place to ask - anyone else into photography? any Flickr links?

Mine is http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenoz - mish mash of styles so look at a few pages before deciding they're shit.
Craig Beevers is very into photography. No, it's not some childish joke about beaver shots - he genuinly is.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:No better place to ask - anyone else into photography? any Flickr links?

Had a look - though not time to look at all of them - and they are generally FABULOUS!! I carry a camera around me all the time but only a fairly standard digital (that bash it on the tap, and hold it in the water after the dog's had it in its mouth one) and do snap a lot of pics but nothing as vibrant as those. Can I suggest a visit to Whitstable, Matt? Loads of great photo locations, a working harbour, yachts on the beach, beach huts, sail lofts and sunsets famed for being painted by Turner. You can look at my photo share site to see what I mean but no need to tell me the photos themselves are fairly amateurish. http://www.picasaweb.com/sooztooz- the album called Whitstable' I know you're near the seaside yourself, but along with pubs on the beach and lots of live music and regular festival days/weeks it's worth a visit in the summertime. I used to live in North Devon and go back there at least once a year - love it.

Also if you like bugs close up you must check out the photos taken by a Finnish bloke who was on my Borneo trek. They are on http://www.picasaweb.com/sooz212- Bug Man's Gallery. Also check out the 4th Album because I 've slotted in some of Bug Man Pete's great photos of the Iban Tribespeople in whose long house we stayed for two nights.

I guess you've got a shit hot camera - but obviously a shit-hot eye for it too.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.