HELP!

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

HELP!

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Hi all,

I signed up for apterous about a week ago and had the problem everybody else seemed to be having of not being able to get into the programme.

Now when I type I click a link from here or google or even manually type in the address into the top bar, the website doesn't load at all.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance..
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: HELP!

Post by Charlie Reams »

Click this link: http://www.apterous.org
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Still no good Charlie.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What's actually wrong? If the site won't open at all then you must have a serious problem with your computer or Internet connection. Have you tried using another computer?
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Hi Charlie,

If i click on the link a new window opens but nothing loads, what perplexes me is that i have no problem getting on any other website including this one but I cannot even get onto the apterous site.

I will try another computer later, but as this is the one I use 90% of the time I would like to be able to use it on this one.

Any other ideas?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm still a bit hazy on the nature of your problem. Have you registered and logged in and now the game won't load? Or is the website literally a blank page right from the start? In the latter case, I've never heard of anything like that before, but try using a better Internet browser such as Firefox.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I second trying Firefox. It solved my connection problems a while back, as well as uploading Java again.
Hope it works, Douglas.

One strange thing that I get, I don't know if this happens for anyone else (maybe this is your blank page problem?), is that when I log in with firefox, it goes to a blank page. I then click on the back arrow top left. It goes back to the log in page. If I then click on something from the menu on the left, e.g. daily duel, it recognises that I'm logged in and I can press play.

All very weird! :?

Hope that helps.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:I second trying Firefox. It solved my connection problems a while back, as well as uploading Java again.
Hope it works, Douglas.

One strange thing that I get, I don't know if this happens for anyone else (maybe this is your blank page problem?), is that when I log in with firefox, it goes to a blank page. I then click on the back arrow top left. It goes back to the log in page. If I then click on something from the menu on the left, e.g. daily duel, it recognises that I'm logged in and I can press play.

All very weird! :?

Hope that helps.
Yeah the log in system is a bit screwy, I often have to log in twice. I should probably try to figure that out sometime.
Rufus Frog

Post by Rufus Frog »

Hi Douglas. I've had a very similar problem to you. I just wanted to reassure you, you are not alone!

I signed up about a week ago. I could load the site and log on but couldn't Play at all for the first few days, kept getting access denied messages, then realised I was already connected to work via a VPN so probably getting trapped by their firewall. On Saturday and Sunday I could access the site and Play on IE 7, no problems. Yesterday I started trying at about 3pm, couldn't start Play, kept timing out. Came to the forums and discovered everyone else stuck because of a power outage so didn't worry too much. Then later in the evening I could not access the site at all. The green bars would creep slowly across the bottom and then they would vanish, I'd still be on my homepage, with no kind of timeout or any other error message. Today it was the same. I then tried switching to Firefox which worked fine. And has continued working. Except no Daily Duel. Sigh.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rufus Frog wrote:And has continued working. Except no Daily Duel. Sigh.
http://www.apterous.org/donate.php

For future reference, you can ask about this sort of thing in the chat pane and someone will probably help you out.
Rufus Frog

Post by Rufus Frog »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rufus Frog wrote:And has continued working. Except no Daily Duel. Sigh.
http://www.apterous.org/donate.php

For future reference, you can ask about this sort of thing in the chat pane and someone will probably help you out.
:oops: I must have been in with a bunch of newbies then as no one else seemed to know why.
Rufus Frog

Post by Rufus Frog »

I have another stupid question.

I think I've forgotten my password. What can I do?

I know this sounds like I'm doing something truly dodgy (I'm not) but I set up a second account on Apterous and now I can't get into it. (Yes I did think for 1 millisecond that I COULD do the daily duel again but then, immediately, what would be the chuffing point?). I did it as a precursor to trying to persuade my reluctant significant other to play against me (and we're far too competitive to collaborate, even if in the same room). So now it's telling me the password is wrong, which means I suppose I must have misspelled it, although I'm pretty sure I got in with it the first day. So part of me is wondering whether further ids from the same ip address are automatically barred...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rufus Frog wrote:I have another stupid question.

I think I've forgotten my password. What can I do?

I know this sounds like I'm doing something truly dodgy (I'm not) but I set up a second account on Apterous and now I can't get into it. (Yes I did think for 1 millisecond that I COULD do the daily duel again but then, immediately, what would be the chuffing point?). I did it as a precursor to trying to persuade my reluctant significant other to play against me (and we're far too competitive to collaborate, even if in the same room). So now it's telling me the password is wrong, which means I suppose I must have misspelled it, although I'm pretty sure I got in with it the first day. So part of me is wondering whether further ids from the same ip address are automatically barred...
Nope, it should work okay (I deal with duplicate accounts on a case-by-case basis.) Have you made sure that you're typing the username and password in the correct case? If you're still having problems, PM me and I'll reset the password.
Rufus Frog

Post by Rufus Frog »

:oops: :oops: OK I'm a complete numptie. I used a capital letter to start the userid and forgot. Very sorry and thanks for the help Charlie.

The slightly odd thing (from a programming point of view) is that when I had it uncapitalised it told me the password was wrong. When I tried his name as the id it told me no such id exists (I forget the exact messages). Hence I deduced that the id was right but the password wrong, not the other way round.