Spoilers for 29/01/2009, CofC semi-final #2

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Spoilers for 29/01/2009, CofC semi-final #2

Post by Michael Wallace »

PeterMabey wrote:Or else CARIBOUS
I was feeling really pleased with this too, and then CF pointed out that he thought it was like SHEEP, and then I checked, and as far as I can tell you can't have so many CARIBOUS :(

Also, my first conundrum spot of the CoC, bitchin'.

Good game guys, though I missed the hug thanks to wanting to get out of Vista as quickly as possible.

Also, did somebody say SEAMAN? (Ignore the video, listen to the song.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've had to add a new page to CDB.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

A splendid, splendid game. Congratulations Jon and Charlie for making it a Countdown landmark.
That was a wonderful performance Charlie.
I have also liked the sentimentality, and the way Charlie and Jon have spoken freely about their emotions
Even as I type my own emotions are welling up .... oh dearie me I am crumbling again...
Charlie, I found your post earlier on this thread, timed at 4.36, extrenely touching, and I thank you for conveying those emotions so clearly and unashamedly.
This is very affecting stuff... I must check the hug picture again...
Thank you very much indeed, - for the game and for the sentimental afterglow.
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

A great game today with the contestants' personalities shining through.
I think Steve Briers is just very shy with oodles of humility and didn't want to show off when he won a place in the final.
I really don't care who wins.
I hope neither contestant freezes with nerves and plays their best.
I am such an average player and will be glad to get back to normality next week as at least I may come second.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Charlie's quite a lot slimmer than you.
Harsh. I'm gonna have to PM you a photo now to show you my toned athletic physique.
I'm still waiting. :(
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I can't really add anything to what's already been said. Watched the programme this evening. Well done to both players. Absolutely tremendous performance.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote:I can't really add anything to what's already been said. Watched the programme this evening. Well done to both players. Absolutely tremendous performance.
Yep, brilliant game. Nothing against your performances in general Charlie, but I think this was the upset of the tournament. It should be a good final and hopefully you carried the form over.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Yep, brilliant game. Nothing against your performances in general Charlie, but I think this was the upset of the tournament. It should be a good final and hopefully you carried the form over.
I was quite upset.

Why is there no CDB page for the on-air handjob you're clearly giving me as well though Charlie?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

There's something I've wondered a couple of times after previous matches but never more so than today. I was under the impression that the five shows recorded per day were done in two blocks, with a substantial break between blocks but only a matter of minutes between shows within each block. Charlie, given the emotionally drained state you were in by the end of the game, how long did you have to pull yourself together before having to start all over again for the final?
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think I should also say thanks to the team who did such a great job of editing the show, leaving in just the right amount of sentimental stuff and still keeping the show moving along for those who couldn't care less about the strange emotional ties that exist between contestants. My only regret is the removal of Corby's brilliant attempt to get himself sacked at the start, which was certainly the funniest monologue from a contestant that I've ever heard. Maybe it'll turn up on YouTube one day, eh Kate?
Hee hee. Blackmail at Countdown Towers... Love it.
Was hoping someone/anyone from the CofC would mention my conundrum spot on this show in the green room. Thanks guys.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I loved Carlie's mic check: "Hi, I'm Charlie Reams, and I love Corby"

And Jon's reply: "Hi, I'm Jon Corby, and I think what Charlie just said is absolute rubbish"
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

KateHorton wrote:Hee hee. Blackmail at Countdown Towers... Love it.
Was hoping someone/anyone from the CofC would mention my conundrum spot on this show in the green room. Thanks guys.
Well I wasn't in the Green Room at the time (I forget where I was) so that's why I didn't mention it Kate. Although I did also hear a rumour that Damian later said that you would have seen it on the computer beforehand... :?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Also, you know my little daughter who's had open-heart surgery?

YOU made her cry yesterday Charlie. You MONSTER :evil:
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Jon Corby wrote:
KateHorton wrote:Hee hee. Blackmail at Countdown Towers... Love it.
Well I wasn't in the Green Room at the time (I forget where I was) so that's why I didn't mention it Kate. Although I did also hear a rumour that Damian later said that you would have seen it on the computer beforehand... :?
Did I ever say how brilliant Charlie was in his semi and how delighted I was that he won??
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kate Horton wrote:Did I ever say how brilliant Charlie was in his semi and how delighted I was that he won??
Yes. Many, many times :(

I was serious btw - people were saying Damian had said that.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kate Horton wrote:Did I ever say how brilliant Charlie was in his semi and how delighted I was that he won??
Yes. Many, many times :(

I was serious btw - people were saying Damian had said that.

I know he was - the cheeky twat. My one great spot in 18 months and he has to ruin it for me. Damian guards his conundrums like they are his babies. The rest of us, however, don't normally give a shit. Damian lied. I am great. End of. ;)
Last edited by Kate Horton on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I have to say in my defence that the fact I didn't smile that much wasn't because I was miserable or anything; it was the shock of getting where I was, mixed with nervousness.

This was an excellent semi-final and Charlie played flawlessly, so well done to him. Commiserations to Jon though.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Tony Mountifield

Post by Tony Mountifield »

Excellent semi-final! (I usually watch them over lunch the next day)

I was rather pleased to spot Leylandii on 25 seconds :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kate Horton wrote:I am great. End of.
No argument from me ;)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I've just caught up with the CoC today and want to congratulate Jon and Charlie on probably the most entertaining game I've seen. Your reactions to being called the creme de la creme were great.

People have in the past compared the countdown production team to a family and now, thanks to the power of the internet and Lincoln, the same can be said of the contestants. I really wish I could have been there, partly because I would have surely thrashed the lot of you, but mainly because of the whole family thing.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Martin Bishop wrote:I've just caught up with the CoC today and want to congratulate Jon and Charlie on probably the most entertaining game I've seen. Your reactions to being called the creme de la creme were great.
.............and what a shame we didn't see Jon and Charlie frantically scribbling down the rules at the beginning as Jeff went through them at breakneck speed :)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

We did see that Chris.