Online Scrabble

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Online Scrabble

Post by Brian Whitworth »

Anyone play??

Im always up for a game, I play via the interface on facebook.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Online Scrabble

Post by Charlie Reams »

Being good (as in really good) at Scrabble and Countdown simultaneously is next to impossible. I've resolved this problem by being mediocre at both.
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Charlie Reams wrote:Being good (as in really good) at Scrabble and Countdown simultaneously is next to impossible. I've resolved this problem by being mediocre at both.

I'm not brilliant at scrabble, but I'm pretty good -- my best 1 word score is 90, yet to get the magic 100(+) yet...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hmm, one word score means nothing (I can't remember mine, was probably some triple-triple.) What's your best total? (I can't remember mine for that either.)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I couldn't stand Scrabble on Facebook, thought the application was horrible.
I use Wordscraper, which is much more playable, though now a whole different kettle of fish as due to legal issues they've had to make changes like adding an 8th letter on the rack.
And comparing scores is even more futile as you can make your own boards, including customised tile distributions and letter values (in itself, a great thing), which does mean you get numpties putting 5W tiles on every square on the board and making every word score silly points (a bad thing).
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Used to play a lot on PixiePit. Haven't for ages. Countdown has taken over as my online word-based obsession. For now.

Am theoretically still up for a game any time, though in practice it depends on availability. Late at night would be best time.
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Clare Sudbery wrote:Used to play a lot on PixiePit. Haven't for ages. Countdown has taken over as my online word-based obsession. For now.

Am theoretically still up for a game any time, though in practice it depends on availability. Late at night would be best time.

Thanks Clare, I'm always playing til the early hours lol.....it becomes an addicton almost!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Charlie Reams wrote:Being good (as in really good) at Scrabble and Countdown simultaneously is next to impossible. I've resolved this problem by being mediocre at both.
Yep it is tough. I've forgotten most of the Countdown/Scrabble differences, although I still remember the odd ODE-only word unintentionally.

These are my annual performance ratings:

180 182 186 186 192 198

The fourth one was when I was on Countdown.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://www.isc.ro is the best place for online Scrabble imo though it is a bit ZX-spectrummy in its approach (when compared to, say, the dual-core pentium style apterous takes).

I am officially the only person in the country who gives two shits about being good at both games, which ain't exactly helping matters in both games but the improvement is happening, albeit steadily. I'm also the only person to have won a tournament of each game. ;)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

My problem with both games is that a lot of the fun goes out of it when you get to the point of memorising word lists - and haven't a clue what any of them mean. And of course that's the big problem with trying to be good at both, cos of the different dictionaries.

This is why I'm happy to remain average at both. Or that's my excuse, anyway. ;o)
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I used to play on wordbiz, but haven't done for yonks.
Nowadays I just play socially in a couple of local clubs (90% female OAPs). No challenges, as we have agreed word list books on the tables. (Chambers for one, Collins for the other, with dictionaries available.)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Oh, come on Charlie, if you're mediocre at Scrabble and Countdown, then I'm a monkey's auntie! You're certainly brilliant at Countdown and for sure much, much better than me at Scrabble! I don't get to play Scrabble very often, living in Spain and unable to find suitable opponents, but I wasn't that good whenever I was able to play. I must find that online Scrabble site and get a bit of practice in.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Too true.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

Charlie Reams wrote:Hmm, one word score means nothing (I can't remember mine, was probably some triple-triple.) What's your best total? (I can't remember mine for that either.)
Mmmmm, if you're mediocre, I guess that makes me crap.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

I only use Facebook for Scrabble (have you noticed how often the game "Sticks" and you have to reboot?) I hate it when I'm on a 5 min game, I'm winning, I go over the time cos I have to reboot, and my opponent "Force forfeits" me- just to nick the win! What's the point of that? Some people will do anything to get a win, they're not interested in playing the game!
I'm Anne D on the facebook scrabble (Pictured with my Grand-daughter) if any of you see me on it, please feel free to play me!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Brian Whitworth wrote:

I'm not brilliant at scrabble, but I'm pretty good -- my best 1 word score is 90, yet to get the magic 100(+) yet...
My best game had 203 (EQUATORS) followed immediately by 90 (something with an X) and I finished totalling about 550, which was probably below par after those turns. Scored over 400 quite a few times though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I never really did understand the obsession with single-move score. Usually they're nine-timers, which in themselves are exceptionally rare- in the order of 1 every 150 games. High game score, on the other hand, is understandable- skill across several moves is always more boast-worthy than one move.

Of course having a high average game score trumps all. :D ;)

I wish I hadn't written this rant at 1am.

BJW (high move 176, high game 595, average something around the 410 mark).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Wilson wrote:I never really did understand the obsession with single-move score. Usually they're nine-timers, which in themselves are exceptionally rare- in the order of 1 every 150 games. High game score, on the other hand, is understandable- skill across several moves is always more boast-worthy than one move.

Well it's pleasing to outscore an opponent with only two turns :)

I agree that it's better to have a good average though, mine probably being about 350.

I still remember my mum teaching me about how to use esses properly when I was very young :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

On Facebook Scrabble I've now played- 747 games, I've won 485 (64.95), Lost 262 (35.1%), my best game score is 555 my best single word score is 158 (For Woodless - which stretched between two treble words so I got it 9 times.)
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Ben Wilson wrote:I never really did understand the obsession with single-move score. Usually they're nine-timers, which in themselves are exceptionally rare- in the order of 1 every 150 games. High game score, on the other hand, is understandable- skill across several moves is always more boast-worthy than one move.

I can never remember what my highest move score is, think I got something reasonably high at the UK Open last month but not as many as 176.

Anyway scored 615 last night as it happens. Was pleasing to spot AUFGABES through a B. Scored 605 two weeks ago, my highest is still 660 tho. Think my average in the club's overall league last year was 500. Get around 440-450 in tourneys.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Craig Beevers wrote:

I can never remember what my highest move score is, think I got something reasonably high at the UK Open last month but not as many as 176.

Anyway scored 615 last night as it happens. Was pleasing to spot AUFGABES through a B. Scored 605 two weeks ago, my highest is still 660 tho. Think my average in the club's overall league last year was 500. Get around 440-450 in tourneys.
I just calculated my tournament average, and it's 436... err... in French. I seem to think in English it's about 411, but at my club it was about 440 due to players that play no more than 3 tiles at any point in the game against me, so I get about 65 of the 100 tiles.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Anyone else having trouble with the ISC today? It kept shutting itself instantly every time I opened it, so eventually I just uninstalled it completely and I've now got it to work. I was wondering if it's because I installed a Java update this morning. I've since installed another Java update from the ISC website itself, and now it works fine.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

That's pissed me off slightly, I took an unrated game on the ISC and started with four bingos (after two changes of letters each) and then pick up a fifth one in a row, that would play. I've never done five in a row ever, I've been playing since 2004. The bastard went and resigned. Doubly annoying, because I could have picked up another one after that one had been played.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Martin Gardner wrote:That's pissed me off slightly, I took an unrated game on the ISC and started with four bingos (after two changes of letters each) and then pick up a fifth one in a row, that would play. I've never done five in a row ever, I've been playing since 2004. The bastard went and resigned. Doubly annoying, because I could have picked up another one after that one had been played.
The arsehole.. that really pisses me off.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I play on ISC sometimes, the ZX Spectrum comparison is quite fitting but the game itself really comes to the fore. The standard of players online isn't all that high though - my local club is better despite mostly being OAPs (I do live in Eastbourne, after all - 12 year old dads and one-armed TV presenters are definitely in the minority).
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Martin Smith wrote:12 year old dads and one-armed TV presenters are definitely in the minority).
What? I saw at least 5 on the way to college today.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yawn, now I remember why I hate the ISC so much. Apterous is down, so I play two games. My opponent starts beefing because I have all the good letters after I win the first game, and my second opponent disconnects when he sees I'm going to win on the last move to avoid losing any points. Not to mention all he has to do is block the only spot for my final bingo, and he automatically wins. Yawn.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

I love Scrabble and as long as you don't take either Countdown or Scrabble too seriously then you can play both as you won't be getting word lists muddled up etc.

My best score is 512 and best single word score 131, however it still rankles with me that I almost got quagmire out across 2 triples once which would have scored 248 :o
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Anybody want a game now? I'm jimbaree, please add me. :) I'm about 1200, not sure whether this is good/bad. Countdown really helps.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I've just found out that DINOS is a valid word in Scrabble but not in Countdown.

Well, that's the kind of thing I find interesting anyway :oops:
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Derek Hazell wrote:I've just found out that DINOS is a valid word in Scrabble but not in Countdown.

Awesome :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:I've just found out that DINOS is a valid word in Scrabble but not in Countdown.

Awesome :)
Dinos awe :lol:
sorry couldn;t resist it.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT