Des Lynam

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Des Lynam

Post by Ian Dent »

Sorry to bring up what must be an old topic on here.

However, I'm interested what you made of Des the 1st as host of Countdown?

I get the impression that he lies between RW and DOC in the favourite presenters list.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Des Lynam

Post by Charlie Reams »

In order of how much I enjoyed them at the time, I'd say:

1. Jeff
2. Des Lynam
3. RW
4. Des O'Connor

With hindsight RW was probably better than Lynam, but I had nothing to compare him to at the time.
Heather Culpin

Post by Heather Culpin »

I haven't seen enough of Jeff to judge yet, but early impressions definitely place him above DOC and maybe RW. It depends what you're judging on really.

RW was bumbling and sometimes seemed mystified about what was going on, so if you rated him as a professional presenter he would rate pretty low, but that helped other people on the show look good, and probably helped put contestants at their ease, and he came over as a nice person.

As for the Deses, I loved Des Lynam and was really pleased he was in the chair when I was on the show. He has a wonderfully dry sense of humour, and can put on a grumpy persona or raise an eyebrow in a way that I find hilarious. He was also very professional and good at the games himself. So, putting Jeff aside for the time being, I'd rate them as Des L first, RW second, Des O'C last.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Lynam had a hilariously deadpan way of dealing with the humourless drip that was Richard Brittain. Other than that, he was alright. My order would be:

1. RW
2. Des
3. Deso

Obviously I've seen much less of Stelling but he looks to me to be right out of the Whiteley mould.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Lynam had a hilariously deadpan way of dealing with the humourless drip that was Richard Brittain. Other than that, he was alright. My order would be:

1. RW
2. Des
3. Deso

Obviously I've seen much less of Stelling but he looks to me to be right out of the Whiteley mould.
Ditto

Also I think when I first started watching Countdown (about 6) I was probably too young too appreciate what a (*vomits in mouth) funny guy Richard Whiteley was.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

1. RW
2. Jeff
3. Des
4. Deso

Jeff's got off on the right foot but he's got a long way to go to match Whiters in my eyes.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Wilson wrote:1. RW
2. Jeff
3. Des
4. Deso

Jeff's got off on the right foot but he's got a long way to go to match Whiters in my eyes.
Agreed.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

Ben Wilson wrote:1. RW
2. Jeff
3. Des
4. Deso

I agree Ben with your order as far Des L I thought he realy never seemed to enjoy the job if you can ever enjoy a pressurised job such as presenting a TV show of any sort not having been in that position I dont know but Jeff is a consumate proffessional I hope he stays.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

I found DL mind-numbingly dull, and he always seemed to me like he didn't know what he was doing there and would rather he wasn't. As for the pressure of being there... can't believe he'd find that a problem after all those years of presenting MOTD or whatever that sport show was.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

1 RW - you never forget your first love
2 DO - I'm a showbiz kinda gal
3 JS - professional, but sporty
4 DL - found it hard to watch anyone after Richard at first, and he was sporty too
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Yes, Lynam did have certain sedative qualities about him.....

I met Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman when I went to a recording of that Celebrity Countdown in 1998. the Jo Brand V Arthur Smith one, with Bamber Gascoigne in Dictionary Corner with who I THINK was Susie Dent.

Carol's a nice person saddled with an unbearable laugh. Richard was a warm, fantastic, grounded guy, although I made a weak pun at his expense when I said to him that I'd been 'ferreting around' shops in my home town trying to find a small present for him!

Said present was a small spirit glass. I got Carol a block of fancy notepaper for her to do her rough number round workings-out.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

precarious / tortuous claim to fame: my dad was at college wi rw, knew him vaguely, had friends in common.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

1.RW

2. DL
3. DO'C

JS - insufficient data. Ask me at the end of the series.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Going by past presenters, my order would be:

1. Richard Whiteley
2. Des O'Connor
3. Des Lynam
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Katherine Birkett wrote:I met Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman when I went to a recording of that Celebrity Countdown in 1998. the Jo Brand V Arthur Smith one, with Bamber Gascoigne in Dictionary Corner with who I THINK was Susie Dent.
Just for the record, Katherine: it was Susie in Dictionary Corner for that recording.
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Mike Brown wrote:
Katherine Birkett wrote:I met Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman when I went to a recording of that Celebrity Countdown in 1998. the Jo Brand V Arthur Smith one, with Bamber Gascoigne in Dictionary Corner with who I THINK was Susie Dent.
Just for the record, Katherine: it was Susie in Dictionary Corner for that recording.
Thanks for confirming that - I didn't know it was a celebrity version until Greg Scott informed us when we got into the studio. When Greg introduced Jo (then one of my favourite comedians and to an extent still is), I was absolutely flabbergasted! She gave me her autograph afterwards writing "To Katherine: put a few pounds on!" I got Richard's and Carol's too. Bamber and Arthur skedaddled too quickly for me to get theirs......
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

In reverse order...

5) Des
4) Deso
3) RW
2) Jeff

So who's number one you ask...

1) William G Stewart

He was bloody awesome in the one episode he hosted. The unsung hero of Countdown's history!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Junaid Mubeen wrote: 1) William G Stewart

He was bloody awesome in the one episode he hosted. The unsung hero of Countdown's history!
Maybe they'll let him on for a second appearance. He could host the long-awaited Bolas/Deshpande showdown, for example.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I don't have a good enough impression of Jeff yet, but I'd say for me Des L was totally the worst (RW obviously the best). He just seemed really bored, and whilst Des O was pretty irritating at times, I found him quite amusing, although only really in a laughing-at-him-not-with-him way.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

1. RW
2. JS with the potential to get to no.1 in around 20 years time :lol:
3. D O'C
4. DL deadpan's one thing, comatose is another
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:So who's number one you ask...
1) William G Stewart
I don't recall this. Was it when Richard died? Is it on YouTube do you know?
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

It was when Richard played Carol, I think.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Ah, thanks Ian. Was that a Christmas special? Who won? (I'm guessing Carol. lol)